Finz Have Won More Reg Season Games Under DW than JJ. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finz Have Won More Reg Season Games Under DW than JJ.

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe this should be merged with other DW threads, but he are the stats and facts. This could help the defense in his trial.

DW's record over the last 4 years in the regular season is 40-23 (.634 win %), could be 41-23 after this Sunday (.64 win %). Also his December wins are better than JJ's.

December record is 7-8 (.463 win %) so far, it could end up 8-8 or .500

JJ' records the 4 years in regular season (with DM @ QB) is 36-28 (.562 win %).

December record is 7-9 (.437 win %)

Also as you will see the years before DW an 9-7 record could have gotten a team into the playoffs. Now you need at least an 11-5 record to get you there (we could be 10-6 this year) , due to the AFC powerhouses.

Dave's records over his first 2 years were better than JJ's even though JJ had a better offense and QB.

Under JJ from 1996-1999 the fins compiled an 36-28 record:

1996= 8 - 8

1997= 9 - 7, post season loss @ NE

1998= 10 - 6, post season win against Buff, loss @ Denv

1999= 9 - 7, post season win @ Seattle, loss at Jax

Under DW from 2000-2003 the fins have compiled an 40-23 record:

2000= 11 - 5, post season win against Indi, loss @ Oak

2001= 11 - 5, post season loss to Balt

2002= 9 - 7

2003= 9 - 6, and counting.

If you want to the info yourselfs here the link

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia1996.htm

So there you have it, the only area that DW is worst than JJ is in the post season, but the team needs to win more games in the regular season than when JJ was coaching to get there.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

"Dave's records over his first 2 years were better than JJ's even though JJ had a better offense and QB."

JJ had a better QB, but that's it. '96 was a rebuilding year for the 'Phins because many of the high-priced FAs on the '95 team had to be dumped. JJ pretty much built a defense from scratch, the same defense that won Wanny many games for him.

I will always maintain that while I don't think JJ was that great of a COACH for the Dolphins in terms of winning games, he did a great job with personnel on the defensive side of the ball. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if JJ had just let Danny keep flinging it and not bother trying to establish a running game.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I will always maintain that while I don't think JJ was that great of a COACH for the Dolphins in terms of winning games, he did a great job with personnel on the defensive side of the ball. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if JJ had just let Danny keep flinging it and not bother trying to establish a running game.

Marino would have been a far worse QB in that time of his career. Much like the Pats play-off game that caused JJ to take away the audible from Marino, that's how that offense and Marino's play would have been.

Oliver...

How about looking at who I considered the best coach I ever saw in the NFL, Shula's last 10 years with the Finz.

From 1986 through 1995, the team went 89-70 (.556 win %)...

FOUR years with team season records of .500 or less(3 of 8-8, 6-10)...

Went to the post season on 4 of the 10 years...

His record in the post season was 3-4 (.42 win %)...

DW got us to the post seasons 2 years out of the 4 years he has been with us, and we have not had a loosing season either.

I am not trying to say that I am extatic with the team wins over the last 2 decades but looking at it, their is no convincing evidence that we are worse 'NOW," then we were with the last decade of Shula, and through JJ's short stint.

If you recall JJ promised us a SB during his time as HC, and we know the answer to that.

We have to settle for what we are a good team not great. To accomplish this IMO we need to loose enough to get draft picks instead of older veterans that might be able to pull an SB out of their tired bodies. I don't think management will stand up for that.

But it looks like DW has not ruined the product that is the Miami Dolphins. On the contrary we have won more under his leadership(winning percentage) than with any coach over the 16 years before him.

Given Shulas record in regular season with the Finz of 257-133-1 (.657 win % ), DW has done well (.640 win % when he defeats the Jets)....

It has been almost 24 years since a Finz team visited a SB... Why should DW take the blame for that?

This is the only point I want to make...

GOOO FIIINZ

You can't even compare Wannstedt with Shula. Shula led the Dolphins to 5 SBs, winning 2 of them. Shula had the Dolphins in the SB in only his 2nd season as HC. He led the Dolphins to the only undefeated season ever by an NFL team in his 3rd season. He was given a lifetime contract by Joe Robbie for those accomplishments. And when his Dolphins got trounced by Buffalo in the wild card round in '95, he knew his time was done and he stepped aside.

Jimmy Johnson promised a SB for Miami, but after leading the Dolphins to their worst ever playoff defeat in the history of the franchise in his 4th season there, he knew his time was done and he stepped aside also.

The goal of an NFL franchise, at least the Dolphin's goal, is to win the SB. To get there, you have to 1st make it to the post season, then advance in the playoffs.

Dave Wannstedt took over a team that had made it to the divisional round 2 years in a row. His 1st season as HC, they made it to the divisional round again, only to be shut out by Oakland 27-0. His second year was a wild card appearance and a quick exit at the hands of the Ravens 20-3.

Last year, after adding a premier RB who would rush for 1850yds, and being tied for the best record in the AFC after week 15, the Dolphins missed the playoffs entirely.

This year, after bringing in Jumior Seau, Sammy Knight, Derrius Thompson, and Brian Griese, Wannstedt claimed this team was finally loaded and ready for a SB run. For the 1st time in 7 years we go into the final week of the regular season already eliminated in the playoffs. That is regression. It's time for Wannstedt to realize what Shula and Johnson did before him, his time is done and he needs to step aside.

If you're happy counting regular season wins, that's fine. I'm not. Wayne H. isn't either. He wants a championship, something he figured he'd have by now after purchasing the Dolphins in '94. It's painfully obvious to him and most Dolphin fans we are heading in the wrong direction under Wannstedt.

The reason why we want to get rid of Wanny isn't wins. He has won games, but that isn't the point. The point is that his teams have underachieved and that this team has regressed under him every year. Since he came here, we have gotten knocked out of the playoff race earlier every season, and that is just unacceptable, espicially since we get more talent every year.

This isn't a comparison between Dave and JJ or Dave and Shula. It is about underachieving and not reaching expectations. He didn't make the playoffs two years in a row, and we had the talent to go deep into them.

Originally posted by Disnardo
Maybe this should be merged with other DW threads, but he are the stats and facts. This could help the defense in his trial.

DW's record over the last 4 years in the regular season is 40-23 (.634 win %), could be 41-23 after this Sunday (.64 win %). Also his December wins are better than JJ's.

December record is 7-8 (.463 win %) so far, it could end up 8-8 or .500

JJ' records the 4 years in regular season (with DM @ QB) is 36-28 (.562 win %).

December record is 7-9 (.437 win %)

Also as you will see the years before DW an 9-7 record could have gotten a team into the playoffs. Now you need at least an 11-5 record to get you there (we could be 10-6 this year) , due to the AFC powerhouses.

Dave's records over his first 2 years were better than JJ's even though JJ had a better offense and QB.

Under JJ from 1996-1999 the fins compiled an 36-28 record:

1996= 8 - 8

1997= 9 - 7, post season loss @ NE

1998= 10 - 6, post season win against Buff, loss @ Denv

1999= 9 - 7, post season win @ Seattle, loss at Jax

Under DW from 2000-2003 the fins have compiled an 40-23 record:

2000= 11 - 5, post season win against Indi, loss @ Oak

2001= 11 - 5, post season loss to Balt

2002= 9 - 7

2003= 9 - 6, and counting.

If you want to the info yourselfs here the link

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia1996.htm

So there you have it, the only area that DW is worst than JJ is in the post season, but the team needs to win more games in the regular season than when JJ was coaching to get there.

GOOO FIIINZ

What your not aking into acount. 3 out of 4 years with JJ Playoffs.
2 out 0f 4 DW playoofs. So does he really need to win more regular season games?

Back
Top Bottom