First preseason game means nothing?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First preseason game means nothing??

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
everyone plays vanilla in pre-season....

meaning the Bucs were playing vanilla offense. I didn't see or listen to the game, idk know what the score is, but I can tell you for certain that TB was playing vanilla as well.

I WATCHED the game, the Bucs game planned FOR SURE, they were setting up miss matches everywhere, they were doing exactly what other teams were doing at the end of last year...attacking the linebackers with flares and screen passes....a couple of draws busted through too.....that's the achilles heal that was exposed last year....Wanny said that we weren't going to show any new wrinkles in this game so I can only assume that they played the same defense as last year on PORPOISE...hehe....

This is the first preseason game. It is meaningless. We always play like **** in the first preseason game.

Definately not a vanilla O from the bucs... lol maybe vanilla for gruden, but there were MANY formations they were throwing out with wrinkles and motions. Just like CK said Jaws mentioned, the Bucs were throwing the whole playbook out there..

I'm re-watching the 1st half right now. I'll be pausing, rewinding, etc. to get a good impression.

Watch that Seau Pittman pass...it's early in the game...;)

please.. Dont freak out over the first preseason game.. its always pitiful... but once the season starts we do alright..

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
everyone plays vanilla in pre-season....

meaning the Bucs were playing vanilla offense. I didn't see or listen to the game, idk know what the score is, but I can tell you for certain that TB was playing vanilla as well.

A: how can you say that with even remote certainty, if you're not watching?

B: Steve Spurrier played vanilla last preseason? :nono:

C: While Tampa may not have thrown the entire playbook at us, they did obviously game plan to an extent.. it was not a "basic" set of plays that were being run...

Originally posted by Jeep
damn.. what an exciting finish.. yeeehaw..

You're right Infin, if that pass is on target Pittman scores. I watch it first, then the replays. Jr. was beaten badly.

These things I said I would watch out for:

LB's pass coverage: the same as last year, get beat too much.
CK one thing I notice was JT gets a good rush on his side and OGunleye is never there to push back. The buc's even roll his way to get separation from JT.

OL: Pass blocking wasn't that bad, BG is too indecisive. Jay threw the pass, got out of there, or threw away. BG holds onto the ball too long.

BG passes flow folks, for all those who said Jay's passes had no zip, BG could get recievers kills, and that's exactly what happened to Simmons and McMicheals, they have too wait too long for BG's passes.

OL backups, Wade and Yates were pretty good. The 2nd OL overall played pretty good. All ol's need to work on picking up the blitz better, same as last year. But I wasn't displeased that their overall play, even the run blocking was pretty good.

In the first 3 quarters, we threw no deep balls, the plays I saw in the Titian scrimage wasn't done here, except for the Simmons catch in the slot on a curl route 10 yards down the field.

The Buc's defintely threw a lot of looks and D fronts on us. You could tell they were in their 2nd game of preseason.
Sapp was a no show tonight.

We play vanilla short passes all night. Ricky ran maybe twice, and picked his way pretty good. Henry may be the real deal, but as Ck pointed out, he missed a blitzing LB and it eventually led to a sack, but BG had time in my opinion to get rid of the ball. Henry only pushed the LB, and you could tell he knew he blew the assignment, he actually got himself out of position to make the block. I saw him do that better in the titians game.

I'm glad the score ended up only 20-19, better than how the jets fared. But the D still has to show me how they're gonna stop the short passes. Tampa didn't attempt a deep pass on us either.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

In the first 3 quarters, we threw no deep balls, the plays I saw in the Titian scrimage wasn't done here, except for the Simmons catch in the slot on a curl route 10 yards down the field.

According to Wanny in the post game interview.. The Bucs blitzed too much and we couldnt pick it up.. Thats why there was no deep passes..

Isn't Maimi a base Vanilla defense?

Of all the defenses in the NFL, Maimi should be doing the best in the preseason because THAT IS THE DEFENSE THE USE IN THE REGULAR SEASON. You guys just try to out talent other teams.

Originally posted by XNOUGHT
Isn't Maimi a base Vanilla defense?

Of all the defenses in the NFL, Maimi should be doing the best in the preseason because THAT IS THE DEFENSE THE USE IN THE REGULAR SEASON. You guys just try to out talent other teams.

No... that's not correct.
We played a base cover 2 the entire game... did little or no subbing out on 3rd downs, rarely saw nickle or dime packages, perhaps one or two blitzes...

That's beyond what you're trying to classify as vanilla... that's downright flavorless.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

You're right Infin, if that pass is on target Pittman scores. I watch it first, then the replays. Jr. was beaten badly.

These things I said I would watch out for:

LB's pass coverage: the same as last year, get beat too much.
CK one thing I notice was JT gets a good rush on his side and OGunleye is never there to push back. The buc's even roll his way to get separation from JT.

OL: Pass blocking wasn't that bad, BG is too indecisive. Jay threw the pass, got out of there, or threw away. BG holds onto the ball too long.

BG passes flow folks, for all those who said Jay's passes had no zip, BG could get recievers kills, and that's exactly what happened to Simmons and McMicheals, they have too wait too long for BG's passes.

OL backups, Wade and Yates were pretty good. The 2nd OL overall played pretty good. All ol's need to work on picking up the blitz better, same as last year. But I wasn't displeased that their overall play, even the run blocking was pretty good.

The Buc's defintely threw a lot of looks and D fronts on us. You could tell they were in their 2nd game of preseason.
Sapp was a no show tonight.

We play vanilla short passes all night. Ricky ran maybe twice, and picked his way pretty good. Henry may be the real deal, but as Ck pointed out, he missed a blitzing LB and it eventually led to a sack, but BG had time in my opinion to get rid of the ball. Henry only pushed the LB, and you could tell he knew he blew the assignment, he actually got himself out of position to make the block. I saw him do that better in the titians game.

I'm glad the score ended up only 20-19, better than how the jets fared. But the D still has to show me how they're gonna stop the short passes. Tampa didn't attempt a deep pass on us either.

No OG dissing?! :eek: Are you okay? You must be sick?

Hey I'm not saying it matters either way, but to the poster who was happy since it was better than Jets, you mean the scrubs did better. Starters vs. Starters, Jets won 7-3. It doesn't matter either way, it's only the preseason. Jets were 4-0, then 2-5 in regular season, so we will see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom