First round pick: Braylon Edwards? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round pick: Braylon Edwards?

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I was thinking that even with Boston staying on the team next year, it's a guarantee that that will be his last season, as his contract goes up to about 5 mill in 2006.

Chemistry with the QB and experience in the NFL would allow Edwards (Or Mike Williams?) to step right in in 2006 and we theoretically wouldn't miss a beat and still have one of the best receiving corps in the league with Chambers/Booker/ Edwards.

The reason I think this is important is that receivers, IMO, are going to be even MORE important with pass defense rules being called so tightly and I see this as a trend of the future.

Again, I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve here. :D

It's an interesting thought, but I think we've got bigger needs to address. WR is a luxury right now. LT and DT are desperate needs, and QB, RB and C are also areas in serious need of improvement. I'm happy going into 2005 with Chambers, Booker, Boston and Gilmore, and then dealing with 2006 when it comes up.

Now, if we were to trade down (which we should), and could get a couple mid first round picks, I wouldn't mind using one on the best player available, which could easily be Edwards (Williams is nearly certain to go top 5).

I'm of the opinion that you take BPA no matter what, if you're in the top 5. I don't think you pass up super star talent to fill a need, especially when you have so many needs.

Would that be Mike Williams? Braylon Edwards? Derrick Johnson? Brown? Benson? Rodgers? or Leinhart?....or Antrelle Rolle even?

Given a scenario in which we have to use the 2nd pick, the choice of player there would depend on how we could affect the roster through trades.

If, say, we could trade Surtain & Madison, then Rolle would be a good option to eventually start alongside Poole or Howard.

A WR is intriguing, if only because of the uncertainty surrounding the David Boston situation. If I were deciding the Phins' personnel, I most ceratinly would consider a WR at the second overall spot, with the intention of eventually having him start as the #1 WR, because I feel strongly that Chambers is a good #2, but doesn't seem to have the desire or focus to become the go-to guy. That would be a good situation for the team in the long run. (my real preference would be to trade Chambers for a couple of picks and draft two WR's, but his cap hit would be considerable I'm sure)

Here's the problem with Edwards, though: "...the concern with him is his lack of consistency and concentration because he will drop some catchable balls..." (sound familiar?) That's from NFL Draft Countdown.

And this: "Is inconsistent and lacks focus... Drops too many passes." That's from The Sporting News War Room.

The problem with that is, as we've seen with Chambers, that there are things you can coach and things you can't; the WR Coach Sullivan is considered to be one of the best, and if Chambers hasn't improved that phase of his game under him, it probably won't improve until chambers himself decides to bear down - provided he can.

My point is, do you want your two top WR's to have the exact same uncoachable problem? It would resemble the Seahawks WR situation, where none of those little b!tches can catch a damn ball when you need them to.

The next-highest rated WR in the draft is Clayton, who has all the tools, but lacks ideal size at 5'11" & 187lbs; but he runs a 4.4, and could be phenomenal at the next level.

All in all, it seems to be a weak year for WR's, whereas this draft does seem to be deep at a couple of positions, such as CB & RB. That would seem the logical choice if forced to choose at the second overall spot.

But with Rodgers and Leinart coming out, I believe that there will be at least a team or two that will give up the farm for a chance at one of those, and we will be able to get tremendous value out of this pick in the form of additional picks, maybe even a couple of firsts and a second. And that's the direction I'd like to see us go.

I don't think Edwards has blazing speed, but he reminds me soooo much of Randy Moss. Especially this time of year where people and draft analyst are TRYING to find problems with him.

The way he sheds defenders, goes and gets the ball, and takes over games reminds me of Moss, and that kind of guy should not be passed on.

That said, we have so many holes to fill you could say that about a lot of different players. Both QB's (we havn't drafted/found our franchise QB), the top three RB's (our franchise RB quite, now we need a replacment), there are many LT in the draft (we havn't drafted/found our franchise LT). So what is more important, and who has the most value?

NaboCane said:
Given a scenario in which we have to use the 2nd pick, the choice of player there would depend on how we could affect the roster through trades.

If, say, we could trade Surtain & Madison, then Rolle would be a good option to eventually start alongside Poole or Howard.

A WR is intriguing, if only because of the uncertainty surrounding the David Boston situation. If I were deciding the Phins' personnel, I most ceratinly would consider a WR at the second overall spot, with the intention of eventually having him start as the #1 WR, because I feel strongly that Chambers is a good #2, but doesn't seem to have the desire or focus to become the go-to guy. That would be a good situation for the team in the long run. (my real preference would be to trade Chambers for a couple of picks and draft two WR's, but his cap hit would be considerable I'm sure)

Here's the problem with Edwards, though: "...the concern with him is his lack of consistency and concentration because he will drop some catchable balls..." (sound familiar?) That's from NFL Draft Countdown.

And this: "Is inconsistent and lacks focus... Drops too many passes." That's from The Sporting News War Room.

The problem with that is, as we've seen with Chambers, that there are things you can coach and things you can't; the WR Coach Sullivan is considered to be one of the best, and if Chambers hasn't improved that phase of his game under him, it probably won't improve until chambers himself decides to bear down - provided he can.

My point is, do you want your two top WR's to have the exact same uncoachable problem? It would resemble the Seahawks WR situation, where none of those little b!tches can catch a damn ball when you need them to.

The next-highest rated WR in the draft is Clayton, who has all the tools, but lacks ideal size at 5'11" & 187lbs; but he runs a 4.4, and could be phenomenal at the next level.

All in all, it seems to be a weak year for WR's, whereas this draft does seem to be deep at a couple of positions, such as CB & RB. That would seem the logical choice if forced to choose at the second overall spot.

But with Rodgers and Leinart coming out, I believe that there will be at least a team or two that will give up the farm for a chance at one of those, and we will be able to get tremendous value out of this pick in the form of additional picks, maybe even a couple of firsts and a second. And that's the direction I'd like to see us go.

I wouldn't be too scared by it to seriously consider passing on him due to that.

And wouldn't the next highest WR be Mike Williams?

I also hope that we can trade down more than any other scenario....I'm just trying to work with what we have now.

inFINSible said:
Just want to point out that I read those same draft profiles and nearly every one of them said that he was like that, UNTIL this year, and this year he has caught everything in sight.

Whether that means he has that problem taken care of, I don't know but, I wouldn't be too scared by it to seriously consider passing on him due to that.

And wouldn't the next highest WR be Mike Williams?

I also hope that we can trade down more than any other scenario....I'm just trying to work with what we have now.

That's encouraging, that he improved his performance like that; maybe there's hope for our guy Chambers, then - and that would make Edwards a viable top-5 pick, since that was the only knock on him.

Mike Williams is enticing - but 4.6 speed? I'm wary of that; there have been plenty of highly-successful receivers with less-than ideal speed, but that's a lot to bank on an intangible. That's why I might choose Clayton ahead of Williams.

NaboCane said:
That's encouraging, that he improved his performance like that; maybe there's hope for our guy Chambers, then - and that would make Edwards a viable top-5 pick, since that was the only knock on him.

Mike Williams is enticing - but 4.6 speed? I'm wary of that; there have been plenty of highly-successful receivers with less-than ideal speed, but that's a lot to bank on an intangible. That's why I might choose Clayton ahead of Williams.
sorry, you missed my edit...I went through all the draft profiles that I read and couldn't find that again....must have been wishfull thinking....Like I said though, with everything else he's got going for him, I still wouldn't give the concentration lapses a whole lot of weight.

I did find ones that said that the drops were mostly from doing things like running before the catch and silly things like that and none that said his catching ability is suspect. On the contrary, he makes the spectacular catch look easy and will go up and get most any jump ball from the defender.

I would think that Saban and Sullivan will be able to show him the importance of keeping his head in the game and I also think that athletic maturity will eventually cure the problem.

If you're looking for Best Player Available, there's a good chance that will be Matt Leinart. I think the Niners like Tim Rattay enough to address another need (like WR; they arguably have the league's worst group of WRs) and hope he's healthy in 2005.

I think Edwards stands a very good chance of being our pick. Like Saban said, the more playmakers the better. If we could attract a Jonas Jennings and a new OC, add a TB like Najeh Davenport and then throw a Braylon Edwards in the mixer, you are looking at an explosive offense.

I've waffled on what I would do at the 2nd pick, but I think there are several players who are so closely rated together that any one of ten players could conceivably go at that pick. That tells me that it might be best for Miami to trade down, yet I also realize that teams may not be willing to trade up.

QB Matt Leinart
QB Aaron Rodgers
RB Cadillac Williams
RB Cedric Benson
RB Ronnie Brown
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Mike Williams
LB Derrick Johnson
DB Antrell Rolle

I think that is your top ten, and those 10 players could go in any order. I think Leinart will emerge as the top pick if he declares, but the rest could go off the board at any point. Miami could possibly be looking at Cadillac Williams with the 2nd pick, be able to move down, and still get Cadillac Williams with the 8th pick.

People keep trying to say that this is a weak draft. It isn't. It may not have a clear cut top overall pick, but this draft has a lot of players that will contribute immediately in the NFL.

I just realized that we've already spent a 2nd and a 3rd on QB and RB, I wonder how much, if any, that is going to effect what we go after if we get stuck at number two.

My guess is, if we can pick up a second somehow, we'd spend that number two on practically anyone but, if we can't, I think WR would complete the trifecta.

inFINSible said:
I'm of the opinion that you take BPA no matter what, if you're in the top 5. I don't think you pass up super star talent to fill a need, especially when you have so many needs.

Would that be Mike Williams? Braylon Edwards? Derrick Johnson? Brown? Benson? Rodgers? or Leinhart?....or Antrelle Rolle even?

I can agree with that. You just can't pass on a player of that caliber. Remember, Shula had no intention of taking a QB in 1983. :)

Even though it may seem we are already stacked at reciever, they still were somewhat inconsistant. The O-line of course played a role in that also.

inFINSible said:
I just realized that we've already spent a 2nd and a 3rd on QB and RB, I wonder how much, if any, that is going to effect what we go after if we get stuck at number two.

My guess is, if we can pick up a second somehow, we'd spend that number two on practically anyone but, if we can't, I think WR would complete the trifecta.

If you want to get technical, we traded O-Gun for Booker and a 3rd when we said we wouldn't take less than a 1st and 3rd this year.

From that, you can say that we already spent a 1st on WR, 2nd on QB, and 3rd on RB.

:D

KB21 said:
I've waffled on what I would do at the 2nd pick, but I think there are several players who are so closely rated together that any one of ten players could conceivably go at that pick. That tells me that it might be best for Miami to trade down, yet I also realize that teams may not be willing to trade up.

QB Matt Leinart
QB Aaron Rodgers
RB Cadillac Williams
RB Cedric Benson
RB Ronnie Brown
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Mike Williams
LB Derrick Johnson
DB Antrell Rolle

I think that is your top ten, and those 10 players could go in any order. I think Leinart will emerge as the top pick if he declares, but the rest could go off the board at any point. Miami could possibly be looking at Cadillac Williams with the 2nd pick, be able to move down, and still get Cadillac Williams with the 8th pick.

People keep trying to say that this is a weak draft. It isn't. It may not have a clear cut top overall pick, but this draft has a lot of players that will contribute immediately in the NFL.

I think I'd throw a couple of other defenders in and possibly not have Mike Williams in there....but I know what you mean.

This draft is ABSOLUTELY STACKED from picks 15-60. As stacked as any draft as I can remember. It's just the top 10/15 that doesn't quite seperate itself into the super blue chip category.

Back
Top Bottom