First round Quarterbacks who have failed. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round Quarterbacks who have failed.

TAK

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Since everyone wants us to draft Cutler I thought I would do this little thing. I am going to list every bust from 1990 on that was a first round QB. After I list all the busts I will count all the successes.

Just so you all know I am fair I didn't label Jeff George a bust. I only label someone a bust if they are an obvious bust.

Busts:
Andre Ware(1990 Lions)
His NFL career totals are 83 completions in 161 attempts for 1,112 yards and five touchdowns.

Dan McGwire(1991 Seahawks)
McGwire was 74/147 and threw for 745 yards in his career including 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. At 6-8, Dan McGwire is still the tallest quarterback in NFL History.

Todd "Marijuanavich" Marinovich(1991 Raiders)
In his two year NFL career Marinovich racked up 104 completions on 205 attempts for 1,345 yards 8 TDs and 9 INTs.

David Klingler(1992 Bengals)
Threw for 3,994 yards 16 TDs and 21 INTs, disappeared after 5 seasons.

Tommy Maddox(1992 Broncos)
He is a bust because he never did well at all until 11 years after being drafted despite being the 25th overall pick and his two good seasons weren't even that good.

Rick Mirer(1993 Seahawks)
Threw for 11,969 yards 50 TDs and 76 INTs over the course of his rocky 11 year career. He went number 2 overall.

Heath Shuler(1994 Redskins)
15 TDs 33 INTs and 3,691 yards and 5 seasons equate to this guys career. Despite his crappy performance in the NFL he still has the balls to call himself a great QB on his site promoting himself for congressman.
http://www.heathshuler.com/

Jim Druckenmiller(1997 49ers)
Played for four seasons and only started one game. He threw and astonishing 1 TD and an even more astounding 4 INTs for a whopping 239 yards.

Ryan Leaf(1998 Chargers)
We all know about this guy. He threw for 14 TDs and 36 INTs before retiring three years into his career. He had a bad attitude too.

Tim Couch(1999 Browns)
He threw for 64 TDs and 67 INTs with 11,131 yards. He now is wandering the NFL looking for a new team.

Akili Smith(1999 Bengals)
2,212 yards 5 TDs and 13 INTs for his seven year career. This guy couldn't even cut it in the CFL.

Cade McNown(1999 Bears)
He played for a whopping two seasons. In his two seasons he threw for 3,111 yards 16 TDs and 19 INTs.

Joey Harrington(2002 Lions)
Until he does something he is a bust. So far he has thrown 60 TDs and 62 INTs and 10,242 yards.

Patrick Ramsey(2002 Redskins)
So far he has sucked and is now a free agent.

The Bust Watch:

Kyle Boller(2003 Ravens)
5,618 yards passing 31 TDs and 32 INTs and has done nothing for the Ravens yet.

Rex Grossman(2003 Bears)
So far in his career he has constantly been injured and has no real stats as a result of it.

J.P. Losman(2004 Bills)
So far he has done nothing that proves he is any good. He HAS shown signs of brilliance but for the most part has been pretty crummy.

Of 25 QBs taken from 1990 to 2002 14 have been busts. I gave the benefit of the doubt on most like Jeff George, Trent Dilfer, Chad Pennington and Kerry Collins so if you consider these guys busts then you up the count to a total of 18 out of 25 or 72% of QBs taken in the first round are busts. If you don't think those guys are bust the percentage is still a staggering 56%.

Hmmmm Good work. I actually thought there was gunna be alot more busts than there was. Maybe 1999 when there was three just got me. It would have been nice for you to name all 25 QB's tho.

It really looks like some of those guys really never got enough time to develope

Not sure Id call Harrington a bust really, he has had stretches where he looks really good and I think the team around him is the problem

TAK said:
Since everyone wants us to draft Cutler I thought I would do this little thing. I am going to list every bust from 1990 on that was a first round QB. After I list all the busts I will count all the successes.

Just so you all know I am fair I didn't label Jeff George a bust. I only label someone a bust if they are an obvious bust.

Busts:
Andre Ware(1990 Lions)
His NFL career totals are 83 completions in 161 attempts for 1,112 yards and five touchdowns.

McGwire was 74/147 and threw for 745 yards in his career including 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. At 6-8, Dan McGwire is still the tallest quarterback in NFL History.

In his two year NFL career Marinovich racked up 104 completions on 205 attempts for 1,345 yards 8 TDs and 9 INTs.

He is a bust because he never did well at all until 11 years after being drafted despite being the 25th overall pick and his two good seasons weren't even that good.

Threw for 11,969 yards 50 TDs and 76 INTs over the course of his rocky 11 year career. He went number 2 overall.

15 TDs 33 INTs and 3,691 yards and 5 seasons equate to this guys career. Despite his crappy performance in the NFL he still has the balls to call himself a great QB on his site promoting himself for congressman.

Played for four seasons and only started one game. He threw and astonishing 1 TD and an even more astounding 4 INTs for a whopping 239 yards.

Ryan Leaf(1998 Chargers)
We all know about this guy. He threw for 14 TDs and 36 INTs before retiring three years into his career. He had a bad attitude too.

Tim Couch(1999 Browns)
He threw for 64 TDs and 67 INTs with 11,131 yards. He now is wandering the NFL looking for a new team.

2,212 yards 5 TDs and 13 INTs for his seven year career. This guy couldn't even cut it in the CFL.

Cade McNown(1999 Bears)
He played for a whopping two seasons. In his two seasons he threw for 3,111 yards 16 TDs and 19 INTs.

Until he does something he is a bust. So far he has thrown 60 TDs and 62 INTs and 10,242 yards.

The Bust Watch:

Kyle Boller(2003 Ravens)

Rex Grossman(2003 Bears)
So far in his career he has constantly been injured and has no real stats as a result of it.

J.P. Losman(2004 Bills)
So far he has done nothing that proves he is any good. He HAS shown signs of brilliance but for the most part has been pretty crummy.

Of 25 QBs taken from 1990 to 2002 14 have been busts. I gave the benefit of the doubt on most like Jeff George, Trent Dilfer, Chad Pennington and Kerry Collins so if you consider these guys busts then you up the count to a total of 18 out of 25 or 72% of QBs taken in the first round are busts. If you don't think those guys are bust the percentage is still a staggering 56%.

That is a lot, however tell us how many have been successful now

the odds on getting a quality starting QB from the first round of the draft are about 33%.

the odds of getting one in later rounds are considerably lower.

the odds of getting a superstar outside of round 1 are virtually non-existent.

that said, we're picking at 16 so i don't see a shot at getting one of the big three and i don;t agree with trading up for them...

I wouldn't chalk up Couch as a bust. Those numbers are not bad considering HE WAS playing on an expansion team. If it weren't for his injury, I'd be willing to bet he'd have been able to come back and have success somewhere.

Some of the ones you have called busts I think you should put in the Busts Watch list. If Harrington fails under Martz system, then you can label him a bust. Patrick Ramsey was a product of Steve Spurrier's QB killer system. Few if any QB would have survived that.
Maybe some of these QBs have not lived up to expectations but Jeff George has been to the Pro Bowl. Kerry Collins did take the Giants to the Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer did win a Super Bowl. Chad Pennington, well...the jury is still out on him.

The main difference is that we are not a bad or expansion team. So drafting Cutler or anyone else wouldn't be a stretch because he would not be asked to carry the team, just manage it.

Geforce said:
Some of the ones you have called busts I think you should put in the Busts Watch list. If Harrington fails under Martz system, then you can label him a bust. Patrick Ramsey was a product of Steve Spurrier's QB killer system. Few if any QB would have survived that.
Maybe some of these QBs have not lived up to expectations but Jeff George has been to the Pro Bowl. Kerry Collins did take the Giants to the Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer did win a Super Bowl. Chad Pennington, well...the jury is still out on him.

The main difference is that we are not a bad or expansion team. So drafting Cutler or anyone else wouldn't be a stretch because he would not be asked to carry the team, just manage it.
Ya but look at Dilfer's numbers and he only did well after he was off the team that used the first round pick on him so he was a bust considering they invested the first rounder and the original team never got back anything for it's investment.

TAK said:

Busts:
Andre Ware(1990 Lions)

Ryan Leaf(1998 Chargers)

Tim Couch(1999 Browns)

Cade McNown(1999 Bears)

The Bust Watch:

Kyle Boller(2003 Ravens)

Rex Grossman(2003 Bears)

J.P. Losman(2004 Bills)

woow great fin broo

tartan y fronts said:
the odds on getting a quality starting QB from the first round of the draft are about 33%.

the odds of getting one in later rounds are considerably lower.

the odds of getting a superstar outside of round 1 are virtually non-existent.

that said, we're picking at 16 so i don't see a shot at getting one of the big three and i don;t agree with trading up for them...

You can so get a superstar out of the 1st round. wow I can't believe you would even say that.

Who cares...we're getting Brees....lol I hope so anyway and then defence on draft day....if Greenway and Huff are gone then I'm thinking Lawson, Carpenetr or Watson at 16.

Ozzy rules!!

Skeet84 said:
You can so get a superstar out of the 1st round. wow I can't believe you would even say that.
So true.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Marc Bulger(although I wouldn't say he is a superstar), Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham, and Rich Gannon were all non first rounders.

TAK said:
So true.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Marc Bulger(although I wouldn't say he is a superstar), Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham, and Rich Gannon were all non first rounders.

brady is the exception to the rule, and farve, plummer, esiason, brees and cunningham were all guys who were possible 1st rounders who fell to the 2nd round. hasselbeck and gannon bounced around and took their lumps before becoming good qbs, and imo the rest of those guys are hardly superstars, and there are only two hall of famers out of that whole group. compare that to how many 1st round qbs are in the hof.

Phishstix said:
brady is the exception to the rule, and farve, plummer, esiason, brees and cunningham were all guys who were possible 1st rounders who fell to the 2nd round. hasselbeck and gannon bounced around and took their lumps before becoming good qbs, and imo the rest of those guys are hardly superstars, and there are only two hall of famers out of that whole group. compare that to how many 1st round qbs are in the hof.

Well if you actually read before you start commenting you would see that he said NO SUPERSTARS come out of the 1st round. So if we name one we are already right. We are not saying more come out of the 2nd and beyond.

Bump for Cutleraholics and the like.

Back
Top Bottom