First thoughts.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First thoughts....

knight6jb

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When I heard this horrible news, the first thing i wondered was why, and what the hell are we going to do. Then I was wondering why not try to turn this team into a passing team again. Pick up McCardell Run 3 and 4 WR sets. Single back evey down, we could still do a RB by committee. Use Minor, Russel, and Konrad. Thats 3 different kind of RB's. Just an idea but who knows whats gonna happen. The only other thing that I have heard that I like was the idea of Shaun Alexander, but I don't wanna make some major deal, and then have ricky change his mind come september, This is a horrible situation and I am completely hating this!!!

I had a similar thought.

This is a tough blow for Wanny, but it's a great time for him to shine. Good teams adjust and find ways to win. He'll get cut some slack as a result of Ricky's departure, but if he finds a way to get the most out of what he's got he should be fine.

If he has to change the whole offensive playbook, then so be it. Better now than in October. He can't change it....so he's gotta figure it out.

The timing sucks for the Fins, but they haven't lost anything yet. You're tied for first place! If the players feel defeated they you're already screwed. The players work too hard year round - so I doubt it. It's Wanny's job to make sure that doesn't happen.

The Fins still have more talent than the Jets and probably the Bills too. So, go with your strengths and run with it (pun intended).

Don't worry. After the first few running attempts I think they will revert to the pass by default. So, your probably on the nose. We may need an entirely new west coast look to optimize our abilities.

The key to success on offense is getting the ball in the hands of your best players. For the last two years, it has been Ricky and we've gotten him the ball 25-30 times a game. This year, it is going to be Chambers, Boston, and McMichael.

I don't think we need to go like the Raiders did a couple of years ago with Feeley putting the ball in the air 700 times, but the run/pass balance needs to be less run and more pass. And if Minor is going to get most of the carries, we need to have those runs attack the edges of the defense rather than between the tackles. With the younger, more athletic guys on our new O-line, it's possible.

Of course, this assumes that Wanny is willing to abandon his hyper-conservative nature, which is not a safe assumption.

Like I said when New England or Tennessee shoves the ball down our throats then we will pass by default. Either way we are passing more.

So many Ricky threads......but I gotta ask:

How long does his contract with the Dolphins prevent him from signing with some other team? Meaning, what would keep him from coming back in 3 years for some other team? Is there still a penalty or would it not apply if he walks away for a minimum amount of time?

I just have a feeling that some of this is personal and that a guy like Parcells could talk him out of retirement in a few years when he's got this vacation thing out of his system.

Anyone know?

I think that Rick left for philisophical reasons. He wants to be able to smoke Marijuana and not be faced with repremands for it. That will not happen in the NFL or any other major sports organization in the U.S. Face it he had Dreads for reasons other than fashion. Please don't knock me if your a rasta I'm just saying there are philisophical differences between Ricky and well the NFL.

PatsWin2002 said:
So many Ricky threads......but I gotta ask:

How long does his contract with the Dolphins prevent him from signing with some other team? Meaning, what would keep him from coming back in 3 years for some other team? Is there still a penalty or would it not apply if he walks away for a minimum amount of time?

I just have a feeling that some of this is personal and that a guy like Parcells could talk him out of retirement in a few years when he's got this vacation thing out of his system.

Anyone know?

I believe it is through 2006...

Don't think the contract length matter because I believe the 'Phins would have his rights if he decided to return to the NFL. Just as the Lions ownt he rights to Barry Sanders after his retirement.

Back
Top Bottom