First Time In History Miami Didnt Pick An Ol | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Time In History Miami Didnt Pick An Ol

Nawledge

Scout Team
Reaction score
For the first time in their history, the Dolphins went through an entire NFL Draft without selecting a single offensive lineman.

It’s also historic because 13 times in their history, the Dolphins spent their top pick on an offensive lineman, including in 2016, when they took Laremy Tunsil, their current left tackle, 13th overall.

The Dolphins have used more draft picks on offensive linemen (113) than any other position, with defensive linemen accounting for the second-most picks, 99. Coincidentally, the Dolphins did not address that position in this draft either, but added end Robert Quinn in a trade with the Rams. The Dolphins didn’t draft any defensive linemen in 2016, either.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...nsive-lineman-for-first-time-in-team-history/

Sad considering it never really improved. I wouldn't have minded one in the latter rounds but they must believe we are set.

Should it really be a surprise a team has used more draft picks over the years on offensive linemen than any other position? You need 5 starting offensive linemen, 1 quarterback, 1 or 2 running backs, 2 or 3 receivers, 1 or 2 tight ends, 3 or 4 defensive linemen, 3 or 4 linebackers and 4 defensive backs. Of course you're going to have a history of drafting more offensive linemen than any other position.

So be it. The Dolphins don't have the culture to instill into young linemen anyway. It's too easy to be fat and soft and a party boy down here. There's no hills to run down here either.

the Patriots keep going to the Super Bowl, even though the interior of their OL is cheap and young. Our OL is actually not that bad; Laremy Tunsil should be great for years to come. Josh Sitton is good. Daniel Kilgore is slightly above average. Jesse Davis looked great last year. Juwan James is one of the better RT's in the league. Backup wise, Jake Brendel is a good backup Center, Sam Young filled in nicely at RT, and if Bushrod comes back as a backup, he's serviceable as a backup. Im not worried about the OL.

We've got that position wrong so many times in the draft that I am good with strictly using FA to improve the line.

we suck at drafting oline. They did it right this time. We got Sitton in free agency and traded for Kilgore

Not a good year for OL, so I cannot be upset about not drafting one because we brought in Josh Sitton and Daniel Kilgore in free agency, return Ted Larsen to health and Isaac Asiata returns from his redshirt year. I would have liked to grab someone like Skyler Phillips, who ended up updrafted, in the later rounds at a minimum, but as long as we are using resources to fix the problem (i.e. moving out Mike Pouncey and Jermon Bushrod for Josh Sitton and Daniel Kilgore), I am not going to complain too loudly.

The investment is what matters, not really whether it's via FA or the draft. Let's not make it a habit to not draft OL though. We need that young lifeblood flowing through.

the Patriots keep going to the Super Bowl, even though the interior of their OL is cheap and young. Our OL is actually not that bad; Laremy Tunsil should be great for years to come. Josh Sitton is good. Daniel Kilgore is slightly above average. Jesse Davis looked great last year. Juwan James is one of the better RT's in the league. Backup wise, Jake Brendel is a good backup Center, Sam Young filled in nicely at RT, and if Bushrod comes back as a backup, he's serviceable as a backup. Im not worried about the OL.

I believe Bushrod has already signed with the Saints.

On paper, this is the best oline in years.
No more Pouncey.
After a few games, I expect this line to come together and be very effective

Can you imagine thou if we had a shot at taking Hernandez in the 2nd.

I loved Gesicki thou. Needed a TE more than a G.

Good to hear. We did use a pick on the oline though, along with one on defensive end and a linebacker this year so in a sense picks in this years draft were used on oline and dline. So the linebacker.issue should be fixed after using 3 picks in this years draft and one in last years, along with the defensive line. etc.

Back
Top Bottom