Five Questions for Miami in 2020 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Questions for Miami in 2020

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
A few of the story lines for the 2020 season.

1. Will Tua Play?
I'm okay with sitting Tua for the season if the coaching staff feels that's the right move for his long-term health and effectiveness. That said, with the chance that the season could start later due to the pandemic, Tua might see the field in 2020. If he's healthy, the only reason to hold him back might be the play of the offensive line.

2, Can Hunt Succeed at RT?
The fact that Miami took him early in the second round leads me to believe they think Hunt can play RT. He should get his chance in camp with what should be an interesting battle between him and Davis. The fact that Tua is a lefty makes this a huge position for Miami to fill. If Hunt moves inside, I'd have to think tackle is a high priority for the 2021 draft. There's also a chance that Austin Jackson moves to RT.

3. Who Starts at Safety
Based on his emergence last year, Rowe would seem to have one spot. Parker, Frazier, McCain, the rookie Jones, and Fejedelem are in the mix for the second spot. On paper, that looks like a weakness but you never know.

4. How Much Better is the Pass Rush?
Miami's pass rush was almost as bad as the offensive line in 2019. It should be better with Lawson, Ogbah and Van Noy, but the Dolphins will likely look for an elite pass rusher in the coming drafts.

5. What are the Surprise Roster Additions?
Last year it was Williams, Needham and Calhoun. Can Miami again find additions from the ranks of collegiate free agents? Benito Jones might be one to watch in the interior of the defensive line.

I agree with some. as for #4 I would ask can we also stop the run?
I think Tua needs to play some in 2020. Going in next year without game experience slows down the building process. Next year, with him having experience and a line that has played together, Miami could be in position to make a deep run.

A few of the story lines for the 2020 season.

1. Will Tua Play?
I'm okay with sitting Tua for the season if the coaching staff feels that's the right move for his long-term health and effectiveness. That said, with the chance that the season could start later due to the pandemic, Tua might see the field in 2020. If he's healthy, the only reason to hold him back might be the play of the offensive line.

2, Can Hunt Succeed at RT?
The fact that Miami took him early in the second round leads me to believe they think Hunt can play RT. He should get his chance in camp with what should be an interesting battle between him and Davis. The fact that Tua is a lefty makes this a huge position for Miami to fill. If Hunt moves inside, I'd have to think tackle is a high priority for the 2021 draft. There's also a chance that Austin Jackson moves to RT.

3. Who Starts at Safety
Based on his emergence last year, Rowe would seem to have one spot. Parker, Frazier, McCain, the rookie Jones, and Fejedelem are in the mix for the second spot. On paper, that looks like a weakness but you never know.

4. How Much Better is the Pass Rush?
Miami's pass rush was almost as bad as the offensive line in 2019. It should be better with Lawson, Ogbah and Van Noy, but the Dolphins will likely look for an elite pass rusher in the coming drafts.

5. What are the Surprise Roster Additions?
Last year it was Williams, Needham and Calhoun. Can Miami again find additions from the ranks of collegiate free agents? Benito Jones might be one to watch in the interior of the defensive line.

I suspect a lot of posters will supply a #6. Her's mine.

5. Is Flo and staff's ability to teach 'assignment sound' real or was last year a one-off?

I suspect a lot of posters will supply a #6. Her's mine.

5. Is Flo and staff's ability to teach 'assignment sound' real or was last year a one-off?
Of all things, I think it was that exact, Assignment Sound Football, that changed the course of the last 9 games; and quite possibly the entire outlook of the future.

I'm not worried about Flo at all. The Oline still worries me and the pass rush.
I believe Tua plays this year. Every team talks about sitting their first round QB for a year and very few actually do it.

I believe Tua plays this year. Every team talks about sitting their first round QB for a year and very few actually do it.
Miami gains zero by playing Fitz all year

I don't think safety is a weakness, specially if we get a resemblance of a pass rush this year.

Of all things, I think it was that exact, Assignment Sound Football, that changed the course of the last 9 games; and quite possibly the entire outlook of the future.
My thoughts as well. If the team doesn't win a lot of games, I don't think that will be the reason.

Last edited:
Meh, I wouldn't say "very few".

A lot of bottom feeder teams don't have a viable alternative. Some guys are somewhat ready. Some guys aren't, but get thrown into the fire anyway.

When I look at the current "top" QBs, some, like Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Jackson sat for a while, others like Wilson and Roethlisberger did not.

All in all, if a team has that option, I believe it is a good idea. Maybe not for an entire season, but until that player has a chance to become comfortable, before the weight of a billion dollar franchise is thrust upon his shoulders.

I could see Tua sitting early, but I do agree with you. I do think a lot depends on the offensive line. If it's horrible again, Flores could hold him back.

I don't think safety is a weakness, specially if we get a resemblance of a pass rush this year.
Frazier is kind of interesting. Dallas fans liked him a lot, although he was mostly a special team standout there. Brandon Jones could surprise.

Miami certainly made some decisions regarding the offensive line that may indicate, what they are ultimately thinking, with regards to Tua's playing time and development? Jackson, Hunt and Kindley all need development themselves and perhaps a lot of it. Question now becomes does Tua's playing time directly tie in with the development of the young and inexperienced Offensive Linemen? Or do you throw him into the fire?

Miami certainly made some decisions regarding the offensive line that may indicate, what they are ultimately thinking, with regards to Tua's playing time and development? Jackson, Hunt and Kindley all need development themselves and perhaps a lot of it. Question now becomes does Tua's playing time directly tie in with the development of the young and inexperienced Offensive Linemen? Or do you throw him into the fire?
I Don't think they have any intention whatsoever to throw him into the fire at the start of the season.

Injury issues aside, which is itself a good reason IMO, reading NFL defenses is magnitudes harder than the collegiate level, and I doubt any rookie is really up to the task in a normal offseason, let alone this one.

For those wanting him out there day one, I have to ask, what is the benifit for either him, or the team as a whole?

Back
Top Bottom