Five Worst Drafts in Miami Dolphins History | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Worst Drafts in Miami Dolphins History

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I put together a list of Miami's best drafts a while back. Now, for discussion, here are some of the worst.

1. (worst) 2013 -- This was a historically bad for the NFL in general and especially for the Dolphins. Miami's first three picks were Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, and Dallas Thomas. All came into the draft with injuries and all ended up as draft busts. Making matters worse, Miami traded up to get Jordan. Two fourth rounders Jelani Jenkins and Dion Sims were probably the two best from this class.

2. 2006 1. Jason Allen, 3. Derek Hagan, 4. Joe Toledo

3. 1995 - 1. Billy Milner, 2. Andrew Greene. Miami did draft TE Keith Mitchell and DT Norman Hand.

4. 2003 -- 2. Eddie Moore, 3. Wade Smith, 4. Taylor Whitney. Miami scored with Yeremiah Bell in the 6th. Smith ended up having success with Houston I believe.

5. 2007 -- Ted Ginn was the first round pick and he went on to have long NFL career, but most of his success came as a kick returner. John Beck and Samson Satele were second rounders, Lorenzo Booker a third. Miami scored in the 4th with DT Paul Solaia.

Dishonorable Mention
1991 1. Randall Hill, 3. Aaron Carver --- 5th rounder Bryan Cox saved this draft.
1987 1. John Bosa, 2. Rick Graf, 2. Scott Schwedes, 4. Troy Stradford...Tackle Mark Dennis was an 8th round steal.
1984 1. Jackie Shipp, 2. Jay Brophy, 4. Joe Carter
1972 1. Mike Kadish, 3. Gary Kosins, 4. Larry Ball...DB Charlie Babb was a 5th rounder.

John Bosa was an injury prone College Player and was injury prone during his brief Pro Career. Never lived up to the potential. But loved the guy. Taylor Whitney was absolutely atrocious. That guy couldn't block himself out a paper bag. What a bleepin disaster he was!!!

John Bosa was an injury prone College Player and was injury prone during his brief Pro Career. Never lived up to the potential. But loved the guy. Taylor Whitney was absolutely atrocious. That guy couldn't block himself out a paper bag. What a bleepin disaster he was!!!
Bosa played well when he was on the field. Unfortunately, that didn't happen often.

What bugs me is that Miami is directly responsible for Joey and Nick Bosa.

If it was not for Shula's bad drafting Jon Bosa would never have meet Eric Kumerow's sister!
I wouldn't be saying anything bad about him and his sister. His grandad was Tonny Accardo, mob boss of the Chicago Outfit

1985 was a bad draft too
Lorenzo Hampton
George Little
Alex Moyer
and more

Jeff Dellenback was decent tho

I remember. Bosa was a favorite of mine. He had a never quit motor. But unfortunately could never stay healthy. Certainly talented but always injured.
With today's advancements in sports medicine I think he could have had an entirely different career.

2013 draft and offseason was catastrophically bad and probably why a lot of people have PTSD about this offseason.

Much to the surprise of no one, Ireland didn't make the most of his Stephen Ross mulligan.

The parallels are eerie.

Early '70s drafts ('71 through '74) were disappointing to me, especially in comparisons to the ones preceding. That great team needed to be steadily replenished and it wasn't happening. We were getting maybe one player per year. The best one of all was a late cut and ended up with the Patriots, Leon Gray.

There was some discussion about the ominous trend at the time. I remember as a kid speaking to a nearby older fan one row forward at the Orange Bowl during time outs. We were specifically speaking about the two years we didn't have first round picks and now the second round picks were not panning out, Otto Stowe and Chuck Bradley. He turned toward me and said, "We need to enjoy this now. When it ends it's going to end."

That wasn't consensus at the time. Everyone was thinking Shula was a miracle worker and we'd always be at or near the top. I had a suspicion the guy sitting in front of us was probably correct. More than anything, once I had that example I used it in later decades to fully grasp that the Canes' glory years would be anything but permanent. That's why I taped so many of those games and still have the tapes.

Otherwise I think 1995 and 1984 stand out to me. I was not a fan of the Marino years but overall I was upbeat in 1995 and really looking forward to that draft. Once we made the first two picks I didn't even bother looking at scouting reports or anything that could pretend they were competent choices.

It seemed obvious Shula would be soon gone if he's making picks like that.

In 1984 my three favorite college teams were Miami, USC and Oklahoma. I knew the personnel inside out. So we trade up for an Oklahoma linebacker with no instincts and then in the second round we pick a Miami linebacker with no athletic ability.

It was more amusing than anything else.

Ha I totally forgot about Lorenzo Booke, him and Ronnie Brown were supposed to be thunder and lightning.

We have had so many bad drafts over the years. Which ones were our best drafts????

2013 was insanely bad especially when you consider how much draft capital we had. When your draft is saved by a blocking TE and 1.5 years of good LB play you messed up

Early '70s drafts ('71 through '74) were disappointing to me, especially in comparisons to the ones preceding. That great team needed to be steadily replenished and it wasn't happening. We were getting maybe one player per year. The best one of all was a late cut and ended up with the Patriots, Leon Gray.

There was some discussion about the ominous trend at the time. I remember as a kid speaking to a nearby older fan one row forward at the Orange Bowl during time outs. We were specifically speaking about the two years we didn't have first round picks and now the second round picks were not panning out, Otto Stowe and Chuck Bradley. He turned toward me and said, "We need to enjoy this now. When it ends it's going to end."

That wasn't consensus at the time. Everyone was thinking Shula was a miracle worker and we'd always be at or near the top. I had a suspicion the guy sitting in front of us was probably correct. More than anything, once I had that example I used it in later decades to fully grasp that the Canes' glory years would be anything but permanent. That's why I taped so many of those games and still have the tapes.

Otherwise I think 1995 and 1984 stand out to me. I was not a fan of the Marino years but overall I was upbeat in 1995 and really looking forward to that draft. Once we made the first two picks I didn't even bother looking at scouting reports or anything that could pretend they were competent choices.

It seemed obvious Shula would be soon gone if he's making picks like that.

In 1984 my three favorite college teams were Miami, USC and Oklahoma. I knew the personnel inside out. So we trade up for an Oklahoma linebacker with no instincts and then in the second round we pick a Miami linebacker with no athletic ability.

It was more amusing than anything else.
The best two players we drafted in that 95 draft we let them go and they were decent for other teams. Pete Mitchell and Norman Hand while we kept the rest who were real bad.

Back
Top Bottom