Flores is not the problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is not the problem

Bumrush

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I'm getting a little tired of reading all this negative chatter about Brian Flores, arguably the best coach post Shula in Miami. It may not even be close.

Flores is not Adam Gase. People calling him Gase 2.0 sure have a short memory - I'm willing to bet that half of them called him Shula 2.0 before the season started. He didn't go from one of the best up and coming coaches in the league to Adam Gase bad in 3 weeks.

This is a guy that was able to take a practice squad roster and make them competitive the latter quarter of the 2019 season. I'd submit that Miami was one of the best teams in the AFC the last two months of the year with street level FAs all over the roster.

Last year nobody anticipated a 10 win season but he pulled it off with a defense that often dominated.

Hear me out - I don't think Flores is immune to criticism but in my view he's had to manage a meddling owner and lackey GM that is also proving to be incompetent. I don't believe for a second that Flores chose to yank Fitz last year. I think it was forced upon him. It's probably why he had a quick trigger finger when Tua struggled. It's also likely why Gailey left the team. Think about it, why would Flores disrupt a playoff run to start an injured QB who had no preseason over a vet that was leading an efficient offense?

You can conclude that there is meddling going on and that Flores has been victimized by it. It hurt Tua's development and confidence while setting a low psychological bar going in to this season. Not how you want to develop your top 5 QB.

Again, I'm not saying Flores can't improve but some of the turnover on the offensive coaching staff could be related to things outside of his control.

Flores deserves at least another full season here even if this season goes down in flames.

I’m not reading all of that crap. Flo is part of the problem. Look at the offensive, it is ****! 2 OC system is stupid and making Chan look like a genius. Then if he had any input on drafting players like Jackson and Iggy, he needs to go!

I cannot endorse the Guy because there have been way too many missed judgements like not kicking Fgs when he should, playing scared , not pulling Brisket when he knows the game is over anyway as a most recent example.
His IS part of the problem just like he would be getting praised if they were 4 - 0 right now.

I cannot endorse the Guy because there have been way too many missed judgements like not kicking Fgs when he should, playing scared , not pulling Brisket when he knows the game is over anyway as a most recent example.
His IS part of the problem just like he would be getting praised if they were 4 - 0 right now.

That not pulling Biscuit is ridiculous! I’m not a Tua fan but he pulled Tua multiple times last year for the same ****. I was against him pulling Tua last year because it’s a learning opportunity but you aren’t giving Biscuit a learning opportunity, he is a career backup.

Flo is a DC and that is it.

Best coach since Shula because of why? Because he took a team to the brink of the playoffs? Wow, that’s impressive. Even Gase and Sparano did more. If he gets the credit for the first two seasons, he better take the blame for this one. And fix it. Or he’ll join every other coach since Shula: working somewhere else.

He is the Head Coach. He is the one making the decisions on staff members to hire, game plans, decisions during the game, and which players see the field. Those decisions have been bad this year. The team has been unprepared to play at the beginning of the year 3 years running. That is 100% on him.

Please stop trying to blame everyone other than the guy who is actually responsible for the things that aren't going well.

The dominate defense narrative is just not based in objective reality; it's an average defense.
People need to go watch our Defense when it was dominant last year. The scheme we were running then vs what we are doing now is very different. We have to start putting our players in position to play to their strengths.

I'm getting a little tired of reading all this negative chatter about Brian Flores, arguably the best coach post Shula in Miami. It may not even be close.
Best coach post Shula??? Flores is 16-20 after 3 seasons with several high draft picks and a respectable to very good salary cap situation.

People need to go watch our Defense when it was dominant last year. The scheme we were running then vs what we are doing now is very different. We have to start putting our players in position to play to their strengths.
Looks to me the players have quit. They are playing with no fire, no motivation and no discipline.

In my mind, our problems are caused by two distinct things... Our offensive line is still below average, as is our pass rush. You can NOT win in the NFL when these two areas are poor, you just can't.

Those wanting to place blame on this call... or think that this or that coordinator is at fault are COMPLETELY missing the point; our players are the problem, and they are the problem because we drafted the wrong players.

If you want to assess blame, and honestly, I am not big on that... but if you do, then you would have to have a clear answer of exactly who picked Tua over Herbert; of who decided to select Jackson; who chose to select Iggy and Long when these were positions of strength on the team; and of who decided to select Waddle instead of a linemen or edge rusher. These are the decisions that have hurt us... not whether we have a coordinator problem. Blaming it on the coordinator is just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

The problem is that we've had a ton of draft picks and that, so far, they have underwhelmed.

Can they get better? Sure. Will they? No clue... but the players are the current problem, and if you want to assess blame, then we'll need to know who picked these players? Grier? Flores? the owner? We'll never get clarity here, so I suppose that all three of them will shoulder some of the blame-- if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Can we at least stop insinuating that Flores has been here through 3 years. It's only been 2 full years. One of which he came out of the playoffs, impacting hiring timing for coordinators. And the other no off season. And he is still 16 and 20. And we still have more than 7 picks in the next 2 drafts.

The comparisons to Gase or Phibin are just absurd

In my mind, our problems are caused by two distinct things... Our offensive line is still below average, as is our pass rush. You can NOT win in the NFL when these two areas are poor, you just can't.

Those wanting to place blame on this call... or think that this or that coordinator is at fault are COMPLETELY missing the point; our players are the problem, and they are the problem because we drafted the wrong players.

If you want to assess blame, and honestly, I am not big one that... but if you do, then you would have to have a clear answer of exactly who picked Tua over Herbert; of who decided to select Jackson; who chose to select Iggy and Long when these were positions of strength on the team; and of who decided to select Waddle instead of a linemen or edge rusher. These are the decisions that have hurt us... not whether we have a coordinator problem. Blaming it on the coordinator is just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

The problem is that we've had a ton of draft picks and that, so far, they have underwhelmed.

Can they get better? Sure. Will they? No clue... but the players are the current problem, and if you want to assess blame, then we'll need to know who picked these players? Grier? Flores? the owner? We'll never get clarity here, so I suppose that all three of them will shoulder some of the blame-- if you are into that sort of thing.
Completely disagree with the decisions that hurt us.
The only debate I agree with is Tua over Herbert.
I don't see TE as a team strength at all. You question Waddle over DE, yet we took Phillips in the 1st...

Back
Top Bottom