Flutie Released | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flutie Released

L.T.21

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Later Flutes, thanks for all your effort!

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica] Chargers release Doug Flutie

Friday, March 11, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The San Diego Chargers released quarterback Doug Flutie today.

Flutie, 42, was the oldest quarterback in the NFL at the end of the 2004 NFL season. The Chargers currently list three quarterbacks on their roster: Drew Brees (26), Philip Rivers (23) and Cleo Lemon (25).

Flutie spent four seasons in San Diego after signing with the team as a free agent in 2001. He started all 16 games in his first season with the Chargers, completing 294 of 521 passes (.564) for 3,464 yards with 15 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Flutie was replaced in the starting lineup by Brees in 2002 and played in only 10 of 48 games from 2002-04.

In 2003, Flutie was called upon to help ignite the offense which struggled with Brees at the helm. In Week 9 versus Minnesota (Nov. 9), he turned in one of the most memorable performances of his Chargers career. Flutie torched the Vikings for four touchdowns - two through the air and two on the ground - while passing for 248 yards (21 of 29 with no interceptions) as the Chargers handed Minnesota a 42-28 defeat. He was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week following the game. He would also lead the Chargers to a road win at Detroit on Dec. 7.

At the end of Brees’ Pro Bowl season last year, Flutie was given the start in the season finale against Kansas City as the Chargers elected to rest Brees for the playoffs. In the first half against the Chiefs, Flutie worked his old magic, completing 13 of 22 for 199 yards and a touchdown while scoring a second touchdown on a one-yard run. The Chargers defeated the Chiefs 24-17 to close out the season 12-4.

“Doug has had a great career in pro football and I feel proud to be a part of it,†said Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, who was instrumental in bringing Flutie to Buffalo as a free agent in 1998 and spent seven years with him both in Buffalo and San Diego. “While watching him work everyday in both Buffalo and San Diego, Doug always brought strong character and competitiveness to the quarterback position. Those traits have allowed him to have such a long and memorable career.â€Â

“It was a difficult decision, but with the development of Drew, Philip and Cleo, we wanted to make the move now to give Doug a chance to sign on with another team if he desires,†said Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer. “Doug is one of the most competitive athletes I have ever met. Doug has had a long and memorable career. It was a pleasure to work with him.â€Â

Flutie finished his career in San Diego having completed 408 of 737 passes (55.4%) for 4,901 yards, 25 touchdowns, 22 interceptions and a record of 8-14 as a starter.
[/font]

My favorite Flutie memory is when T.Armstrong drill him into the ground during
the playoffs.

I thought he had been out of football for a couple years, anyway. Agree with Namor. Great Flutie memory.

It makes you wonder if his career is really finally over. The guy is one of the most resilient QBs to ever play the game. My least fond memory of Flutie was the Hail Mary pass he launched against the Canes with no time left on the clock.

...shocking loss. I'm still not quite over it.:mad:

L.T.21 said:
Later Flutes, thanks for all your effort!

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Chargers release Doug Flutie

Friday, March 11, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The San Diego Chargers released quarterback Doug Flutie today.

Flutie, 42, was the oldest quarterback in the NFL at the end of the 2004 NFL season. The Chargers currently list three quarterbacks on their roster: Drew Brees (26), Philip Rivers (23) and Cleo Lemon (25).

Flutie spent four seasons in San Diego after signing with the team as a free agent in 2001. He started all 16 games in his first season with the Chargers, completing 294 of 521 passes (.564) for 3,464 yards with 15 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Flutie was replaced in the starting lineup by Brees in 2002 and played in only 10 of 48 games from 2002-04.

In 2003, Flutie was called upon to help ignite the offense which struggled with Brees at the helm. In Week 9 versus Minnesota (Nov. 9), he turned in one of the most memorable performances of his Chargers career. Flutie torched the Vikings for four touchdowns - two through the air and two on the ground - while passing for 248 yards (21 of 29 with no interceptions) as the Chargers handed Minnesota a 42-28 defeat. He was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week following the game. He would also lead the Chargers to a road win at Detroit on Dec. 7.

At the end of Brees’ Pro Bowl season last year, Flutie was given the start in the season finale against Kansas City as the Chargers elected to rest Brees for the playoffs. In the first half against the Chiefs, Flutie worked his old magic, completing 13 of 22 for 199 yards and a touchdown while scoring a second touchdown on a one-yard run. The Chargers defeated the Chiefs 24-17 to close out the season 12-4.

“Doug has had a great career in pro football and I feel proud to be a part of it,†said Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, who was instrumental in bringing Flutie to Buffalo as a free agent in 1998 and spent seven years with him both in Buffalo and San Diego. “While watching him work everyday in both Buffalo and San Diego, Doug always brought strong character and competitiveness to the quarterback position. Those traits have allowed him to have such a long and memorable career.â€Â

“It was a difficult decision, but with the development of Drew, Philip and Cleo, we wanted to make the move now to give Doug a chance to sign on with another team if he desires,†said Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer. “Doug is one of the most competitive athletes I have ever met. Doug has had a long and memorable career. It was a pleasure to work with him.â€Â

Flutie finished his career in San Diego having completed 408 of 737 passes (55.4%) for 4,901 yards, 25 touchdowns, 22 interceptions and a record of 8-14 as a starter.
[/font]

I'm counting the number of posts before someone here types "SIGN HIM!" :D

You know they will. :wink:

Yea,that Hobbit has had a pretty decent career considering the odds against him.

I admire Flutie for his love of the game and he never gaves up on trying to be better.

Back
Top Bottom