FO making team look bad? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FO making team look bad?

GreenFin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've been sitting back watching the offseason unfold and I'm getting just a little nervous. Now the Tate and McIntosh situations I can understand. You can't control a man who chooses hi family's happiness over money and a sunny state. And you can't control how a guys ankle turns out after a physical (although scheduling a confrence before the guy passes his physical makes them look silly).

But a few things have happened that I think is hurting this team in FA.:

1. Wannstedt is brought back and given an extension when everyone with half a brain cell knows it's win this year or he's gone. Detoit is said to have used this in recruiting Woody.

2. Dan joins the team then quits soon after. We don't really know what the story was behind this but regardless, it didn't make the team look to good.

3. Jay is told that he can look for a trade and he has to restructure if he wants to come back. We all know what happened but such a 180 makes one wonder who's really in control.

4. Dolphin players are kept in the dark about the teams plans for them until the last minute. While most of us knew Griese would be cut, he wasn't kept abreast of the teams plans. Sam Madison's agent was told that his client was not a priority at the moment but then the team goes out and signs a FA corner. So his agent has to call and find out what the situation is. Rosenhaus says he hasn't been able to negotiate with the Fins on O-Gun because he is not a priority at the moment either. Now I'm not saying they should bow down and kiss the agent's or player's feet but they should at least have the common courtsey to say "Hey...just to let you know, we haven't forgotten about your client but we've got some other things to take care of right now." It just seems like they're being a little disrespectful to their own guys. How's that look from a player on the outside who's thinking about coming to this team?

5. Finally, Ruddy, Perry and Nails are cut. Ruddy has been a stand up guy and solid yet unspectacular player for over 10 years. He doesn't even get a pat on the back. Perry...I can understand. Nails was coming off major surgey and while he was not the player he was in the past, he wasn't even given a chance to fully recover before being shown the door.
And so began the quest to fill the holes. Woody..."no thanks." Tait..."I'd be happier in Chicago." OK..Plan B. - McIntosh. Bum ankle. Back to Meadows..here's a nice little quote...

"Meadow's agent, Don Henderson, said he's not sure why the Dolphins canceled. "They never explained anything," Henderson said. "I really thought it would be a good fit, seeing as they don't have anyone to play the right [tackle] and if someone gets hurt on the left side, don't have anyone to play there. [Meadows] has played both."

Doesn't really make you to jump up and answer the phone when they come calling again. Cosey Coleman came and left without a contract. What now?

Anyway..sorry to be long winded but I'm looking at this thinking to myself that the FO has dug itself into a hole and burned too many bridges to make it up. I hope I'm wrong

1) Dave was brought back because there wasn't a coach available who had a better last 4 year record and got that record with lack of talent. Detroit was pulling stuff out their butts to get Woody not to come to Miami.

2)Dan had no idea he would have to work. Really. He though he'd make a few appearances at some dinners, shake hands and leave. When he found out he'd have to actually do work, he quit.

3) Jay is the absolute best back up in the league, no questions. He did restructure.

4) Teams never tell players anything. Where are you from?

5) Ruddy, Perry and Nails are the reason Ricky failed to make 1500 yards, Jay was on his butt more then overthrowing Chambers and Brian lost 1 more game then he should've.

So after week one of free agency, we still have a few spots to fill and yet the FO looks bad? 18 million over the cap to (millions) under and about half a dozen restructured contracts to allow us to get more players (make a run at Woody with real money) and yet the FO is looking bad?

These doom and gloom posts are getting out of hand.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
1) Dave was brought back because there wasn't a coach available who had a better last 4 year record and got that record with lack of talent. Detroit was pulling stuff out their butts to get Woody not to come to Miami.

2)Dan had no idea he would have to work. Really. He though he'd make a few appearances at some dinners, shake hands and leave. When he found out he'd have to actually do work, he quit.

3) Jay is the absolute best back up in the league, no questions. He did restructure.

5) Ruddy, Perry and Nails are the reason Ricky failed to make 1500 yards, Jay was on his butt more then overthrowing Chambers and Brian lost 1 more game then he should've.

So after week one of free agency, we still have a few spots to fill and yet the FO looks bad? 18 million over the cap to (millions) under and about half a dozen restructured contracts to allow us to get more players (make a run at Woody with real money) and yet the FO is looking bad?

1. I wasn't arguing with WHY Wanny was brought back. What's done is done. I was saying how as a free agent, how would you feel about a coach bringing you in if he's not there after this season? That plays into people's thinking whether you want to admit it or not.

2. I think your point there was off base. A little too superficial. But again, I'm not arguing WHY Dan quit. Only how ridiculous it made the team look and how it might affect someone's view on the direction of the team.

3. I KNOW Jay restructured and while I may not agree with him still being here I believe he is a good back up. Again...I wasn't arguing on WHY Jay was brought back. I was trying to show how the flip flop by the FO can make players think twice about signing with the Fins.

4. Teams DO tell players things. Maybe not every little detail of their plans but they give them enough heads up to plan on playing elsewhere or whatever the case may be. And I'm from Miami.

5. Yes those guys played into Ricky not getting 1500 yds but...that's right..it wan't my point. My point is they did it coldly and basically shut themselves out from getting them back. Which they may have to end up doing after their backup plans for filling the holes left in their line fell through. And to your ppoint about Jay laying on his back..it was his inadequacies that put the line in that situation in the first place. If any team had just the slightest respect for his arm, they wouldn't have stacked the line almost every down.

So after your reading your condecending and Fiedler loving reply I say YES...after one week of free agency the FO does look bad. They freed up all this money and with the exception of Jones, they missed out on all the guys they wanted to use that money on. So they will be filling holes on the OL with has beens and never will bes.

I agree, there have been some mis-firings which could (probably are) signs of a somewhat fractured front office/coaching picture...the Fiedler about face is one, I think that was Wanny's doing 100%, I just hope Feeley clearly wins and Fiedler IS the back-up, if it's a tie or close, and Wanny makes the decision, guess who will start?
But I don't think our FO is doing a bad job. Compare this offseason to any of the past four offseasons and you will see that we seem to have better planning, better ideas, and -so far -better execution, even if we didn't sign Tait or Woody (Woody was too expensive).
What do I base that on? Who did we sign for offense the last few years? Derrius Thompson? Cris Carter? Brian Griese? Most of those guys really WERE has beens or never-will-be's that nobody else wanted, and they fell to us because, well, we hemmed and hawed and waited around and they were all that was left. Kind of like what you find at a bar just before closing.
O-line has been one of our most pressing concerns for the last few years and we did nothing to address it. I still can't believe Wanny's "Those guys will be fine" attitude one year ago. So we have brought in lots of different guys, some we have signed, some not. You don't get a solid O-line by blowing your budget on one superstar and signing a bunch of homers to fill the rest of the spots. You get a bunch of good, solid guys that can perform well as a unit, not overpaying for one so you cn't afford the others. I think that's what Spielman is doing.
O-gun is NOT a prirority right now, he knows that, his agent knows that, we've all read Spielman say it in the papers. He (actually his agent) is trying to MAKE himself a priority by raising a stink and forcing the issue. Typical negotiation procedure.
As for the Lions -Mariucci?? Gimme a break! He's had the same record Wanny's had over the last four seasons -worse -and the Lions are a shadow of the team the Dolphins are, and probably will be for years. Woody took the $$$ and ran. Millen makes Spielman look like a champion, too, in the FO match-up.
I don't think our FO is minimally communicative with our players in the offseason, I think that is more whining/pump-priming by their agents.
And lastly, if I were a free agent I think the Fins would be in the top 25% -at least -of NFL teams I would play for. Even though we have missed the playoffs the last two years, we've had strong records, been a winning team. Can you imagine going to the Lions, Cards, or Chargers and KNOWING that every week you were most likely going to lose? How hard would it be to do the work and bear the pain that playing in the NFL entails if you knew that every week you were going to get your a$$ handed to you?

Originally posted by bigmiamifan

1. That's because of the talent this team had. Wanny couldn't do squat with Surtain and Madison, RW, Jason Taylor and Ogun.

2. Link?

3. Yeah a back-up. If he loses the job to Feely, this simply means Wanny was wrong all these years. I don't know about being the best back-up. I'd take Flutie over Fiedler. Not to mention maybe Volek.

4. I agree with players being left in the dark til' last minute. However, I see nothing wrong with that. That's business. Teams would rather not have other teams know about their moves so they can make other deals. That's business.

5. As for Rudy and co. being the reason behind RW not making 1500..... partly true but also add to the fact that unlike RW's first year, teams prepared for RW. They all knew that RW was your offensive weapon and dared Fiedler to throw. The fins were one dimensional. Everyone knew it.

BTW, your cap? The fins are still missing 2 good OLmen and have no depth in other positions as well. You a better no. than Darrius and even if you find one, who's gonna be a backup in case one of them gets injured? Gadsen? What about these OL Fa's you have been shopping around for? Is there depth behind them? I doubt Wanny can pull a Bellichick and get those back-ups playing like probowlers.

However, it's barely been a week. They have solved the madison situation and you should be happy with that. Although Madison took a step back this year, I wouldn't have minded taking him to replace Winfield. Madisons not as good but he's still decent .

Draft. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few late rd. talent turning out to be a Zach Thomas someday. This years draft is full of talent. The fins could address depth from the draft.For the fins' sake, I hope Wanny doesn't pull an Eddie Moore with this years draft.

There's also the June 1 cuts.

(BTW, I know what the bills need so save the smack, I am trying to talk objectively from a rivals standpoint as I see the fins moves. No smack intended.)

I'm not all doom and gloom. I know it's still early and there will be cuts down the road wich could free up some very servicable O-Linemen.
I really think Spielman went into FA with the right gameplan and he has done his best to make solid moves. But right now the only OL left are the ones on the discount rack.
We couldn't land Woody OR Tait. I would be OK with just one. But neither?! I don't think the FO planned on not getting either. Then their plan B had a bum ankle. It just doesn't look too good and the fact that they cancelled the Meadows visit and let others leave without contract offers doesn't bode well in my opinion.

Oh..and on Mariucci. He was fired for not WINNING playoff games. But at least he WENT to the playoffs. Wanny gets an extension after 2 years of no playoffs. Huhhhh?!?!?!:confused:

Originally posted by justafan

1. That's because of the talent this team had. Wanny couldn't do squat with Surtain and Madison, RW, Jason Taylor and Ogun.

I notice that your listing of the talent didn't include the positions that Miami is planning on addressing. The problem in getting from 10-6 to 11-5 or 12-4 wasn't the players you mentioned.

3. Yeah a back-up. If he loses the job to Feely, this simply means Wanny was wrong all these years. I don't know about being the best back-up. I'd take Flutie over Fiedler. Not to mention maybe Volek.

It doesn't mean Wanny was wrong before. It means they have decided he is not the choice now. Flutie over Fiedler? :lol: Volek? Can you imagine how that would go over on this forum? Feeley and Volek and Rosenfels? A combined 8 - 10 starts? :yell:

5. As for Rudy and co. being the reason behind RW not making 1500..... partly true but also add to the fact that unlike RW's first year, teams prepared for RW. They all knew that RW was your offensive weapon and dared Fiedler to throw. The fins were one dimensional. Everyone knew it.

This is another lame argument. Who was the focal point of the Raven's offense? Didn't seem to hurt his numbers. Also, everyone new Ricky was the focal point the year before and all he did was run for 1850 yds.

The problem was that they didn't block.

BTW, your cap? The fins are still missing 2 good OLmen and have no depth in other positions as well.
The Fins depth is no worse than most teams in the league. That is why injuries are such a problem.

For the fins' sake, I hope Wanny doesn't pull an Eddie Moore with this years draft.
How can you make a claim about this pick? The team is very thin at LB and they are counting on him to step in this year or next.

You got a point, I would rather have Mooch than Wanny....but I would rather play for the Fins than the Lions!
I seriously think that Wanny has an extension in name only, and that if he doesn't take it up a notch he's gone at the end of the season...that could have an effect on FA's coming in

if we don't go better than 10-6, not only should we fire wanny, we should do to him what the 49-ers did to TO! :D

Trade Wanny to the CFL! I hear that Winnipeg is looking...does Wanny speak Canadian?? Anyone know?

Originally posted by Finfan80
Trade Wanny to the CFL! I hear that Winnipeg is looking...does Wanny speak Canadian?? Anyone know?

i didn't realize "Canadian" is a language! :lol:

That's a quote from North Dallas Forty...great football movie...you're from Texas, you would love it

Back
Top Bottom