follow up question to "1st round pick" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

follow up question to "1st round pick"

Free Agency will determine the way the dolphins go in this one, or at least it should. Lets look at need here.

Defense: No needs here, however if we lose O-gun and/or Madison we may need to address these postions. Both of these positions are addressed better in the first round. Anyhow, my gut feeling is that O Gun is gone and Madison takes a restructure to sign some other guys. Jr. may do the same (again, gut)

I see bowens getting the chance at DE and some other retread being brought in as well in FA.

Offense:

We have: C, LT, WR1, RB, FB, Backup QB (Jay or Sage)

Needs QB, Gx2, WR 2 & 3, RT.

We should be able to address QB, G (maybe x2) and WR 2 or 3 in Free agency, leaving it open for RT, WR, G and/or a QB in the draft. There are 4 or 5 quality QBs out there, and I'd be willing to take one later than give up 2 #1's to get one, even if his last name is manning. All that means is that when this team hits real cap hell, you are going to have to shell out a big $$$ contract to keep him here.

If we get the 1 and 3 for O-gun, I'd take a Wr/G and a DE (after trading down to get a #2). I'd use the 2 #3's to get a QB and another WR, and then draft for depth BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER the rest of the way. Figure any QB we draft won't start for 2 years, maybe 1 if the team collapses again and we clean house.

Gator

the only reason i am really against trading down for Eli or even Ben is because QBs are a crapshoot for the most part (see Ryan Leaf vs. Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe vs. Rick Mirer) whenever there are two highly touted QBs, one is usually bound to falter, just the way it goes. Now, normally it's worth the risk because drafts arent usually that deep, but this draft is loaded with talent. we can get wide receivers that can play throughout the draft (although id like rashaun woods in the first myself) add another first round pick to that and we can get an offensive lineman we could likely count on to contribute right away or maybe trade down, stock up on some more picks and hope rivers or losman falls to us. Then with the rest of our picks the draft is still deep enough to get depth at LB/DT/OL, pretty much everywhere except Defensive End and Cornerback

If we trade up for eli we are done til the third, likely a wr or ol, and then the talent starts to fall off more in the 4th.. the more picks in the early rounds the better, but man it would be tough to pass up Eli, especially since everyone is calling for miami to get a QB. And it sure is nice to envision him being our franchise QB for a looooooong time and continuing the tradition of beating his bro and the colts (8-3 lifetime i think we are against peyton)

i don't want ben because then i'd have to get a jersey that says Roethlisberger on the back, and that's just not right.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
the only reason i am really against trading down for Eli or even Ben is because QBs are a crapshoot for the most part (see Ryan Leaf vs. Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe vs. Rick Mirer) whenever there are two highly touted QBs, one is usually bound to falter, just the way it goes. Now, normally it's worth the risk because drafts arent usually that deep, but this draft is loaded with talent. we can get wide receivers that can play throughout the draft (although id like rashaun woods in the first myself) add another first round pick to that and we can get an offensive lineman we could likely count on to contribute right away or maybe trade down, stock up on some more picks and hope rivers or losman falls to us. Then with the rest of our picks the draft is still deep enough to get depth at LB/DT/OL, pretty much everywhere except Defensive End and Cornerback

If we trade up for eli we are done til the third, likely a wr or ol, and then the talent starts to fall off more in the 4th.. the more picks in the early rounds the better, but man it would be tough to pass up Eli, especially since everyone is calling for miami to get a QB. And it sure is nice to envision him being our franchise QB for a looooooong time and continuing the tradition of beating his bro and the colts (8-3 lifetime i think we are against peyton)

i don't want ben because then i'd have to get a jersey that says Roethlisberger on the back, and that's just not right.

I know man, but we're due to take a QB high. We haven't taken one above the 6th round since marino. That in itself is a HUGE mistake. 20 years not trying to pick a QB in the top 3 rounds is rediculous by any clubs standards.

And the draft is a crapshoot. But, you'll never find a "more" sure thing than Eli. Normally I agree that trading so much for one guy is a bad idea, but when you look at eli's credentials...

-He's a child prodigy, son to a pro QB father, and a triathlon mother, and Brother to a FHOF QB (arguably the best in the league)

-he has a better arm than Peyton

-he makes good decisions in the pocket

-though he's not as much as student of the game as peyton, he reportedly spends mroe time on tape that is required of him, and he and Peyton actually talked on the phone every week before his game to break down the defense.

This is enough to hold down my fears. I don't think you'll find any less of a risk int he draft. At least not one that the dolphins have a real shot at. We need another franchise QB, had we drafted a replacement prior to Dan's leaving we wouldnt'b e in this mess. It's too great of a shot to miss.

i see what your saying, you could make a case either way and i wouldnt be the least bit disappointed if i went that way... have to see if that becomes an option and how much it would cost us

Here we go. Trade wally and a perfromance driven conditinal pick next year to Wash for their 1st rounder. The trade the 5th overall and our 20th for the 1st overall and anything you can get 3rd maybe. Eli in 1st, wr and o line in 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom