follow-up to dg's texans visit and more... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

follow-up to dg's texans visit and more...

Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/3722301.htm

very interesting...
the most interesting parts to me are this since I no longer care that much about Dg:

vice president of football operations Rick Spielman said it (the DG / JW thing) will give the team a chance to work on extensions for younger players.

Among players the Dolphins could target are fullback Rob Konrad, who will be an unrestricted free agent after this season, or offensive tackle Todd Wade, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2003 season.

so much for Konrad being in jeopardy :D

As I stated before..we can still add to our roster and you know teams will have to cut players to get to the 53 man roster and a lot of good players sometimes are let go for cap reasons..we still have a chance to get some of that talent..

CAP RELIEF

With the release of Gardener and the restructuring of defensive end Jay Williams' contract Monday, the Dolphins have put themselves approximately $4 million under the salary cap.

That is an enviable place by NFL standards, and vice president of football operations Rick Spielman said it will give the team a chance to work on extensions for younger players.

The moves on Gardener and Williams saved $1.3 million against the cap.

finz cash, and how to spend it............

nice post. it really puts everything we have done lately in a good perspective. spielman and wanny have done an exellent job trimming the fat, keeping the important players, while providing us cash [at a time when most all the other teams are broke] and holding team chemistry together. but...............

i would not be handing rob konrad any big money yet. i know alot of guys are really geeked on him, but he HAS been given oportunities and hasn't produced much. he seems to get hurt everytime someone gets a good tackle on him, has dropped some easy stuff and hasn't been a runner either [not that any fin back has], but still, he just hasn't backed up all the hype he had coming out of college. even if you get limited chances, if your talent is all that, it will show up. he has a lot to prove before throwing him big bucks.

let him have this season under norv. if he can't succeed in this system, we have our answer. you know he will be thrown a lot of balls. plus, he will have the incentive of playing in a contract year adding some hunger to his game. then give him top fb money if he proves worthy.

TODD WADE on the other hand should be given some cash. it is pretty apparent what he is and should get a nice little raise, not tony boselli type money, but enough so he won't be an issue next year.

Both should be handed a little bit of money to stick around a few more years but its not like either of them are going to see a big contract. Wade looked impressive in his rookie year but looked like crap last year (along with the rest of the guys). If we signed him now it would save us money later because his salary will likely be smaller than his abilities. Konrad same thing...signing him BEFORE his breakout year is a good idea. Otherwise he'll want too much for a FB.

Yup it would be a decent risk to try signing Wade now. He won't get the big bucks we all assumed he would get after his rookie year and even signing him to a half decent extension might look stupid in the future. However he could play better then his rookie year and make Spielman look smart later.

As for Konrad fullbacks never make the bling bling. At worse we would be paying him $950k and that's in the final year of a contract.

Yeah but even so given that this is slated to be a breakout year for Konrad, assuming he excells which the coaches probably assume, then it would still be a better idea longterm to sign him now than after this year.

Re: finz cash, and how to spend it............

Originally posted by clayton83
nice post. it really puts everything we have done lately in a good perspective. spielman and wanny have done an exellent job trimming the fat, keeping the important players, while providing us cash [at a time when most all the other teams are broke] and holding team chemistry together. but...............

i would not be handing rob konrad any big money yet. i know alot of guys are really geeked on him, but he HAS been given oportunities and hasn't produced much. he seems to get hurt everytime someone gets a good tackle on him, has dropped some easy stuff and hasn't been a runner either [not that any fin back has], but still, he just hasn't backed up all the hype he had coming out of college. even if you get limited chances, if your talent is all that, it will show up. he has a lot to prove before throwing him big bucks.

let him have this season under norv. if he can't succeed in this system, we have our answer. you know he will be thrown a lot of balls. plus, he will have the incentive of playing in a contract year adding some hunger to his game. then give him top fb money if he proves worthy.

TODD WADE on the other hand should be given some cash. it is pretty apparent what he is and should get a nice little raise, not tony boselli type money, but enough so he won't be an issue next year.

good post....and I agree with most of it except, like ck said, we need to sign him to an extension now instead of AFTER he has his break out season.....the only problem with that is, like you said, he hasn't shown ANYTHING in his limited chances.....i just wanted to add that Minor has gotten limited chances and we all have seen flashes of his talent....Konrad has been around alot longer than Minor and the only flash he's shown is on the trainers table....If i had to make the decision, based on what i've seen of Konrad....i'd give the money to Wade and let konrad go(after the season)....I think we can get a steal if we sign Wade and we will get robbed if we sign Konrad.

Oh yeah...I wanted to say something about DG.....it says in the herald article and i heard it on the radio that the Texans didn't offer him a contract because they didn't feel like he was in shape for the rigors of training camp....I guess all those missed workouts caught up with him....twice now.

I prefer to give wade the money and see on konrad ...he just looks slow to me .. he reminds me of tommy vardell ... anyone remember this guy he looked good coming out of college but never got it together in the nfl ...Minor is exciting to watch and i hope he continues to get touches ...

I think they like to see a couple of good seasons before Wanny and Spielman are believers. Alot of people were wanting to throw big money at lamar after 1 good season but WannSpiel knew better. Marion has had a couple of good years and they paid him. Same with Fiedler but Konrad hasn't had one good season yet so he's a long way from getting paid. I expect if Minor performs this year they may look at him long term next year same with Wade.

Back
Top Bottom