Football 101: What is the Wide 9 Techinque? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football 101: What is the Wide 9 Techinque?

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
Each offseason, we take a look at some of those football nuances that we may not fully understand. These are those terms that we all know, but about which we could use a better understanding, thus giving us a better understanding of the game. We return to the Phinsider classroom this afternoon in an effort to better understanding the "Wide-Nine" technique for defensive linemen.
We have touched on this topic previously, when, in 2014, we took a look at the entire defensive line gap techniques. We started with the offensive line gaps, which start at the "A-gap" on either side of the center, the "B-gap" between the guard and tackle, and the "C-gap" outside the tackles. From there, we can align the defensive line and linebackers. Essentially, each gap needs to be filled by a defender, whether that is an offensive lineman or a linebacker. The defensive linemen then align themselves either directly over the offensive lineman he is opposing, or shaded to the inside or outside of his shoulders - giving us the defensive lineman's "technique."

Picture1.0.png
Running through the techniques, an even number, including 0, aligns the defensive player directly over the offensive lineman. For example, a 0-technique defensive tackle would be aligned directly over the center - a true nose tackle. A 4-technique defensive end would be lined up directly over the tackle. Odd numbers are the outside (away from center) shoulder of an offensive lineman, so if the 0-technique defensive tackle slides to the outside of the center (either direction), he moves into the A-gap for the offense and becomes a 1-technique. The defensive end, if he slides to the outside of the tackle, becomes a 5-technique. The inside shoulder of an offensive lineman is typically designated by an "i" for the defense, for example the defensive end slides to the inside shoulder of the tackle, he is now a 4i-technique.
The numbering continues out to the tight end, where a 6-technique would be aligned directly over the tight end, a 6i-technique would be between the tight end and tackle, and a 7-technique would be outside the tight end. To get to the 9-technique, imagine an additional lineman on the outside of the tight end, which would be the 8i-, 8-, and 9-techniques, from inside to outside. (The 9-technique continues on the non-tight end side of the line as well.)

More at the LINK: http://www.thephinsider.com/2016/4/16/11443574/football-101-understanding-the-wide-nine-technique

Nice post! What type of LB is best for this type of alignment? Someone bigger who can stack and shed or a speedster like Lee who has range, but has difficulties getting off blocks?

I guess what I am asking is who would be a better fit an edge LB like Lee or a inside thumper like Ragland or Brothers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom