For all fans in favor of strong armed QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For all fans in favor of strong armed QB's

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
Watch the K-State and Ohio State game and we'll all get a lesson as to why arm strength is certainly important, it's not near as important as someone with a feel in teh pocket and the ability to deliver the ball with accuracy.

Ell Roberson has CANNON for an arm and has to be the worst QB I've ever seen for a team that supposed to be good. This is just a brutal performance by him and shows that an arm is nice, the ability to be a pure QB is much better.

This is the reason I feel players like Ryan Leaf and David Klinger have failed.

I hope Miami's FO is watching and realizes to not overvalue a guy because of a strong arm. I hope they take into account the whole spectrum of talents a QB needs to succeed.

Ryan Leaf failed because he has the personality of a spoiled child and the leadership abilities of dog food.

I love strong armed QBs but that doesn't mean that they don't have to be accurate. That's part of the reason I don't think it's worth going after Mike McMahon.

Yep, you hit it on the nob missed. Ell will never make it to the NFL, he is an awful thrower. Although he has had a lot of drops tonight, he's still 9 of 30 I believe and that is awful, he throws some god awful balls, but they all go 100 miles an hour. Oh well, he's not the only one who has played like total crap tonight. We've had two 25 yard punts, a kickoff go out of bounds, a punt get blocked, and a penalty on a return that made us start inside our own 10. We've also had a corner miss a tackle on a 3rd down deep in OSU territory on a drive that OSU eventually scored on, zillions of dropped balls, and some big offsides penalties. Overall, KSU has played a piss poor game, the last time we played this bad we lost to Marshall at home.

Here's the thing though.

Arm strength may not be the end all of attributes, but I do feel that arm strength is one of the more important attributes.

A QB can have all of the intangibles in the world, but if he lacks the arm strength needed to play in the NFL, he won't make it. The unemployment line is scattered with quarterbacks that have the so called intangibles that didn't have the arm to play in the pros. Danny Wuerfful. Josh Huepel. Kilff Kingsbury.

Of course, a strong armed quarterback can't be a dead head. This is the most difficult position to evaluate because it is the only position where both physical talent and intangible ability have to be taken into account.

Great QB values:

Casey Clausen/Tennessee -- 3rd round
Matt Schaub/Virginia -- 3rd round
Robert Kent/Jackson State -- 4th round

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Here's the thing though.

Arm strength may not be the end all of attributes, but I do feel that arm strength is one of the more important attributes.

A QB can have all of the intangibles in the world, but if he lacks the arm strength needed to play in the NFL, he won't make it.

Yeah, Joe Montana sucked! :lol:

Brady doesn't have a cannon either..

If you don't have the intangibles you better have some killer wheels with no-flat tires. (read Mike Vick & D. McNabb) But who except Brett Farve & Fran Tarkenton could scramble & not die a horible death? I forgot about John Elway & Steve Young...

Look arm strength is not the king of all talents it was considered to be, but it is still important. Danny Woeful would be a Pro Bowler if all QBs had the same arm strength.

Montana played when Ds were slower and Brady can make any throw they ask him to make which are short-medium and he is sooo good because he is soo accurate. Jay has acceptable arm strength, but his accuracy is pathetic.

I think Jay has a pretty good arm, not the strongest but good enough for 40 yards deep.. that is good enough for a defense to lay off of ricky with 8 man front.. now i do believe that jay does has a pathetic accuracy annd should work on that.. i think he is at his best when he scrambles alot like lastyear..

I guess I should have emphasized the words "whole spectrum" because if you've read my post involving Rivers you'd see I am a big fan of a strong arm.

I just think it is overvalued, causing teams to pick players with cannons over guys who have the intangibles and a notch below cannon type arm. Only to watch the cannon try to throw through walls and not be accurate enough to keep his offense on the field.

Originally posted by dolfans1988
I think Jay has a pretty good arm, not the strongest but good enough for 40 yards deep.. that is good enough for a defense to lay off of ricky with 8 man front.. now i do believe that jay does has a pathetic accuracy annd should work on that.. i think he is at his best when he scrambles alot like lastyear..

Its to late for Jay to work on anything.

Back
Top Bottom