For all fans in favor of strong armed QB's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For all fans in favor of strong armed QB's

I don't think Jay has a good arm at all. His arm strength is very weak, and that's the main reason his accuracy down the field is terrible. He doesn't have the strength in his arm to control where the ball will go. He also can't hit the stick throws that need velocity on them, like the intermediate to deep out patterns.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
I don't think Jay has a good arm at all. His arm strength is very weak, and that's the main reason his accuracy down the field is terrible. He doesn't have the strength in his arm to control where the ball will go. He also can't hit the stick throws that need velocity on them, like the intermediate to deep out patterns.

I disagree here...

Jay has NFL caliber arm but the problem lies on his release and that why the ball tends to float on him.

Back to topic....

Is hard to find the complete package at QB.Most of the QB who have canon of an arm,never develop because they simply lack other attributes that make a good NFL QB.Is very rare to find someone that has it all so don't expect a Stever young.

One guy that I think fits that profile this year is Lospman.Outstanding arm strength but his character could become a major problem.

I would really like to see Mark Brunell sign and use first round pick on best value pick on WR or OL.THis team is about winning now and there still some sleeper pick in the middle rounds who I think can deveop in a quality QB in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami is at the point though where they absolutely have to start paying more attention to the future of this position. They have not taken a QB before the 4th round since they took Marino in 1983 in the 1st. That just isn't going to get it done. They should have been looking to invest a high draft pick in a quarterback while Marino was still here.

Miami is at the point though where they absolutely have to start paying more attention to the future of this position. They have not taken a QB before the 4th round since they took Marino in 1983 in the 1st. That just isn't going to get it done. They should have been looking to invest a high draft pick in a quarterback while Marino was still here.

I see your point but this team is build to win now.There better use of that first round pick to win now while QB situation can be solved by signing a veteran FA QB.They still can find a gem in the middle to late rounds if they do their HW.Is not like first round QB guarantees a successful QB.

I just disagree with that sentiment, and I fully believe the "win now" philosophy of drafting is the reason the Dolphins are in bad shape quarterback wise. The justification for not drafting Anquan Boldin last year was that Dave didn't think Boldin would make an impact on this team with Chambers, Thompson, and McKnight around.

That kind of thinking keeps Miami from taking the best player for the team. Its tough to go far in the playoffs when you don't have a good quarterback, and while there are some exceptions, it is easier to find a WR or an OL that can contribute in the mid to late rounds than it is to find a QB that will develop into a future starter in the late rounds.

I agree. The problem is that the management and coaches keep thinking that we are just one year away and concentrate on what will (hopefully) put them over the top. there has been barely any planning for the future as they believe that the team will win this year not 2-3 years from now. The result is the same. 9-7, 11-5, 10-6...lose in playoffs, usally badly. Hopefully the new GM will have the foresight to plan for the future and take a few players to develop. We will need to be replacing some of these guys on defense soon too and I don't see much on the roster that looks promising.

Yes!! In a perfect world that would make alot sense.Dan Marino retires passes the torch to a first round QB who he himself will be become franchise QB.Beangals and Cardinals will be set at QB for years to come but too bad that not reality.

Trust me there will be the time when the Dolphins will be force to draft a first round QB because they will have no other choice but to rebuild.Their future is mortgage to win now and now is not the time to take a chance with QB who could potentially down the road become a good QB over a player who can make an impact now.

By the way:

Dave desicion to draft a LB to play special team over a WR which was a position of need,is agaisnt my philosophy.You draft players according to your need and best value at the moment considering the team is in a win now scenerio.

Drafting players is not exact science and it has alot do with luck especially when drafting QB's.

Originally posted by minus
Yes in perfect world that would make alot sense.Dan Marino retires passes the torch to a first round QB who he himself will be become franchise QB.Beangals and Cardinals will be set at QB for years to come but too bad that not reality.

Trust me there will be the time when the Dolphins will be force to draft a first round QB because they will have no other choice but to rebuild.Their future is mortgage to win now and now is not the time to take a chance with QB who could potentially down the road become a good QB over a player who can make an impact now.

If the Dolphins draft the best players when they are available then they won't have to rebuild. GB does it and does it well. The problem with waiting until you need the QB is that there isn't always one available. Every year the draft has different strong positions. You have to take the shots when they are available. The key is to draft well.

[/B][/QUOTE]
By the way:

Dave desicion to draft a LB to play special team over a WR which was a position of need,is agaisnt my philosophy.You draft players according to your need and best value at the moment considering the team is in a win now scenerio. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dave didn't draft Moore just to play ST. At the time we didn't have Seau or even an inkling he'd be available. The hope was that Moore would supplant Rodgers. That was considered more likely than Boldin beating out Thompson whom we had signed prior to the draft. One of the big factors (not the only one) that led Dave to select Moore was the belief that he would contribute more know.

That is very true minus. I feel you create your luck however. How do you do this? By evaluating, researching, and fact finding.

I don't think you go for a glamour guy, I think you go for the guy who after the above process has been played out fits what you do best.

I disagree on Losman. His character is not a major question. He is ****y, but he ain't an ******* like Leaf.

Originally posted by rafael

If the Dolphins draft the best players when they are available then they won't have to rebuild. GB does it and does it well. The problem with waiting until you need the QB is that there isn't always one available. Every year the draft has different strong positions. You have to take the shots when they are available. The key is to draft well.

By the way:

Dave desicion to draft a LB to play special team over a WR which was a position of need,is agaisnt my philosophy.You draft players according to your need and best value at the moment considering the team is in a win now scenerio. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dave didn't draft Moore just to play ST. At the time we didn't have Seau or even an inkling he'd be available. The hope was that Moore would supplant Rodgers. That was considered more likely than Boldin beating out Thompson whom we had signed prior to the draft. One of the big factors (not the only one) that led Dave to select Moore was the belief that he would contribute more know. [/B][/QUOTE]

The rumors about Seau coming to the Fins were everywhere.The team needed a WR or OL baldy but he failed to address the problem therefore having a huge effect on the outcome of the season.I just don't feel is the right time to waste a first round pick on a QB when there bigger areas that need help considering the talent that will be available at QB through FA.

Originally posted by dolfans1988
I think Jay has a pretty good arm, not the strongest but good enough for 40 yards deep.. that is good enough for a defense to lay off of ricky with 8 man front.. now i do believe that jay does has a pathetic accuracy annd should work on that.. i think he is at his best when he scrambles alot like lastyear..

I makes me crazy when people even talk about Jay in the present tense.

(No offense intended, -- just hadda say this.)

Based on your philosophy, the Dolphins would not have drafted Dan Marino. Miami had just come off a Superbowl run with David Woodley at QB, and everyone thought their biggest need at the time was a defensive lineman. Even Don says he went into the draft with the intention of drafting a defensive lineman. When Marino was there, the opportunity was simply too good to pass on.

Originally posted by minus

The rumors about Seau coming to the Fins were everywhere.The team needed a WR or OL baldy but he failed to address the problem therefore having a huge effect on the outcome of the season.I just don't feel is the right time to waste a first round pick on a QB when there bigger areas that need help considering the talent that will be available at QB through FA.

Not at draft time. At that time we were all reading posts here about how it was this great LB FA class and Miami had missed on all of them. I remember that many poster's #1 target was LB Pisa T. Of course, many wanted WR and OL too, but clearly LB was among our biggest needs.

As for drafting a QB, it really comes down to your assessment of the talent levels of the available FA and draft QBs. If you think the older QBs in FA have something left then you are likely to favor the FA route. If you think that there are draft QBs who are potentially superstars then you are likely to favor the draft. When Dan Marino or Michael Jordan types are available you always regret passing on them.

Back
Top Bottom