For the 3rd-and-final time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the 3rd-and-final time

NYFCat

Starter
Reaction score
My recent article measures Jay Fiedler's effectiveness on 3rd down. Comments welcome.

That's a heck of a lot of research. Not much to comment on because I like Jay. I would have thought that his third down conversions would have been higher than 51%, but given the fact that he is fourth on the list, I have no complaints. The surprise to me was Peyton's numbers, considering the season he had last year.

Nice work NYCAT, nice assist muck.:) i believe teams who convert third downs are the most succesful, especiallyin bad weather. we had probs doing that two years ago i believe. this past year, we were good/bad. Ricky gave us more leverage as to the need in certain games. But Fiedler being fourth in a stat that is real important yet doesnt get talked about much is a good thing.

LOL, you create havock in this forum with your anti-Jay posts, your apology posts then your anti-Jay posts which are bound to pop up again. He spent time and effort creating that article. Why must you come up with a generic response that adds nothing to the discussion? Do you think every post about Jay revolves around your one sided opinion???

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job NYC..that's takes time..thanks for the perspective...I knew I like Jay for something.

Originally posted by Bumrush
LOL, you create havock in this forum with your anti-Jay posts, your apology posts then your anti-Jay posts which are bound to pop up again. He spent time and effort creating that article. Why must you come up with a generic response that adds nothing to the discussion? Do you think every post about Jay revolves around your one sided opinion???

:rolleyes:

Here it goes again....

:lol:

The unaccepted one sided opinion
V.S. the accepted one sided opinion....

Originally posted by Trekbiz

:rolleyes:

Here it goes again....

:lol:

The unaccepted one sided opinion
V.S. the accepted one sided opinion....

:huh:

Oliver...

Originally posted by Bumrush
No but I don't think there is a stat or opinion about Jay that hasn't been beat into oblivion. I mean where does it stop? I mean for this wonderful 3rd down % it is asking for someone to get on here and say "yeah well Hassleback was 4th and he sucks!" or what about this stat or that stat!" There are many uinfavorable stats about the guy too. See? It is just inviting more and more Jay debate.

And last I checked I was entitled to post as well as you are anyone here. I just don't get it. The Jay supporters slam the non-Jay supporters for persisting and attacking Jay all the time. But the supporters keep pushing him.

I thought everyone was pretty much in agreement with me when I posted that the subject has been exhausted. I would have posted the same response if the comment/article was anti-Jay. So, you are so wrong about me only seeking agreement. Funny how you think you know me, when you don't know me.

I am glad you feel it is your place to comment on me and my posting habits, but you make it personal by doing that. That is clearly against the rules of this forum.

So do us both a favor next time and just ignore me if you don't agree.

I think it's sad.

I think it’s pretty sad when I can’t even talk about a player on my team. I can’t even mention the name?!?

JAY FIEDLER JAY FIEDLER JAY FIEDLER JAY FIEDLER JAY FIEDLER JAY FIEDLER.

<< There are many uinfavorable stats about the guy too. See? It is just inviting more and more Jay debate. >>

I agree that there are unfavorable stats. I agree also that Jay has unfavorable qualities, which I mentioned before even referring to the 3rd down numbers. The numbers I came up with were based solely on my feeling that Jay Fiedler brings something to the table that many oversee. This was not to imply that he is the best 4th best QB in the league or a franchise player. Jay is our QB. Live with it. And while you’re living with it, see of the good as well while keeping a realistic eye on the bad. That’s all I’m saying.

I have no problem with Jay debate. When someone says that Fiedler needs to be replaced, all I ask for is a list of names who would be definite upgrades at the QB position TODAY. Over the last two years, the most qualified QB I’ve seen out there is the one who is probably going to end up on our team in the post-June 1 period. The posters I have a problem with are the ones who go the extremes... “Ie Jay is the worst QB in the leagueâ€Â... “Any backup in the league can do what Jay doesâ€Â... “We have a surefire Super Bowl team that is being dragged down by our pathetic QBâ€Â...

These are the same people who called for Ray Lucas for two years.
These are the same people who ran and hid when commentators around the country said “This team needs Jay Fiedler back†week-in and week-out.

I would talk about the “opposite extemeâ€Â... unfortunetly, I don’t see one. Many Dolfans agree with my sentiments that Fiedler is an overall average QB who can produce above-average results in the right offense... he’s a guy with strengths (3rd down and 4th quarter play, mobility, mental and physical toughness) and weaknesses (arm strength, INT’s come in bunches, injuries). If a person were to come on this board and proclaim Jay as a bona-fide Pro Bowl QB (meaning NOW, not predictions for this upcoming season) and a top 3-5 signal caller in the league, I’ll be the first one to step up and call him incorrect.

Originally posted by NYFCat
My recent article measures Jay Fiedler's effectiveness on 3rd down. Comments welcome.

Using the rules you applied to your stats, you show Jay as a top 5 QB, and since we all can probably agree he is NOT, your use of only 3rd down plays less than 10 yards in length is not an accurate representation of relative ability...

Also, you make the assumption that teams are not making serious attempts to get 1st downs when facing 3rd and long, but you don't know how many 3rd and long situations were when teams were coming from behind... And by not including them, you take away from their success or failure to convert these 3rd downs...

For example, Peyton Manning faced 3rd and +11 almost twice as many times as Fiedler and was less effective (61%)...

But Gannon faced 3rd and +11 about the same number of times as Manning, and was slightly more effective (70%)...

Now, Mike Vick faced 3rd and +11 the same number of times as Gannon, and was nowhere near as effective (46%)...

Jay was at 75%... I don't think he's a better QB than any of these guys...

I got these stats from Metalhead's source...

The Link

Good work researching the stats, but I wonder if you were objective in setting the parameters for you report...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by fin-atic

The Jay supporters slam the non-Jay supporters for persisting and attacking Jay all the time. But the supporters keep pushing him.

I think the problem is that we are seen as either anti-Jay or pro-Jay, and there is a grey area... I'm pro-Dolphins, and I really don't see another option ON THE CURRENT ROSTER, so I support Jay...

This doesn't make me pro-Jay, but I am not anti-Jay...

Yep, that doesn't make a lot of sense...

Now, I was anti-Lucas...

Once the season begins we'll stop fighting with each other over certain players and watch our team march to the playoffs... Rest assured...

Back
Top Bottom