For the Draftniks and College Followers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Draftniks and College Followers

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok since DE seems to be a big priority now who can you project to be there late in the 3rd round including those who are more likely to be 2nd picks but may drop because of stupid reasons?

I'd love to draft a DE....

... but I'd be shocked if our first four picks weren't TE, OL, LB, and S.

Players that could drop but probably won't:

Dennis Johnson, Kentucky - After a terrible workout, the leading sacker in the SEC could drop into the 3rd round. He was expected to show up at around 6-7, 270, but instead went in at 6-5, 257. His body was all out of proportion, too. I doubt it he falls, though.

Will Overstreet, Tennessee - Will teams value his work ethic or knock him for his physical limitations? Probably the first scenario.

Ryan Denney, BYU - Jumped into the second round after weighing in at 6-7, 276. Has the makings of a great base end. Very, very unlikely that he falls to us, though. In fact, I have him going to the New England Patriots in a RD1 shocker.

Kenyon Coleman, UCLA - Like Mixon and Denney, he has excellent size, excellent run-stuffing ability, but offers very little in pass rush. He has a very good chance of falling into the latter portion of RD3.

Re: I'd love to draft a DE....

Originally posted by NYFCat
... but I'd be shocked if our first four picks weren't TE, OL, LB, and S.
why a S we have 7 Ss on the roster and 4 CBs :confused:

Coleman sounds like what we need - someone to replace Mixon and D Bo can replace Lo Bro

Keep an eye on Jarvis Green from LSU. He's had some great pre-draft workouts, and his stock is on the rise since his good showing at the Gridiron Classic. Green looked to be a player who was going to be a terrific pass rusher earlier in his career. He had 7 sacks as a freshman and 8 as a sophomore. He was injured before his junior season and never seemed to regain his pass rushing form over his last two college seasons. I think he had 5 sacks total over his last two years.

At the Gridiron All-Star Classic though, Green had 2 sacks and showed an excellent burst off the edge. He has weighed in at around 6-3 273 lbs at his workouts and has run as high as a 4.75 forty. He also benched 24 reps of 225 lbs, and this is pretty consistent with the way he plays. He is very strong in his arms and hands and holds up at the point of attack very well. In time, he could be the COMPLETE defensive end the Dolphins need. Notice complete in all caps. Some of you seem to be misguided into thinking we need a 1st and 2nd down run stuffer and a 3rd down pass rusher. That isn't the case. If we play offensively the way Norv Turner wants us to, then 1st and 2nd down won't be running downs when we are on defense. Hopefully, teams will pass to play catch up. If this happens, we need a better pass rush with our front four.

We need our ends to pin their ears back and get after the QB, and if the RB happens to get the ball, tackle him while you are on the way to the QB.

Jarvis Green looks alright, but if they wanna reach a little and go for some big time potential Michael Josiah will be there. Might have an attitude problem and to some is deemed uncoachable, but man he can get after the QB. If someone could get him to conform he would be a really intreging prospect. JOsiah is a Jr. out of Louisville.

Another guy is Carlos Hall out of Arkansas. He has the speed and quicks we like in DEs, but really lacked production in college. He has the measurables(6'3 260 4.67) we like, and may develope nicely.

Kenyon Coleman may be there as well, has the ability, but again never really showed the promise he once did. Injuries are part of his history. Was absolute can't miss BLUE CHIPPER in high school.

A late round pick that has GREAT measurables, but is invisable on the field is Derrius Monroe of Virginia Tech. 6'3 269 4.56. He has everything you look for in a DE, he just hasn't put it together on the field yet, and maybe never will. But he would be worth a VERY late pick or sign him as a FA after the draft. Maybe with coaching he can turn those measurables into production.

Gregg Scott of Hampton is an interesting prospect in the middle rounds. Brett Keisel(6'5 279 4.89) of BYU could also be had in the later rounds. He isn't really all that far behind teammate Ryan Denney if you ask me, but I am not really that high on Denney.

Back
Top Bottom