For those if us wanting to go OT... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those if us wanting to go OT...

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
with our 1st pick, what do we do if both Andrews and Carey are off the board at #20? We could reach for Rogers or take a chance and trade down and maybe grab him, but I'm not really sold on him. Of course we can go OG, but wouldn't we be a little heavy there and thin at OT? If we don't get an OT, we could be in a real pickle because we still have lots of work to do with our OT positions. Thoughts?

Steve

We laugh at whoever took Carey before 20, and happily take DJ Williams (or someone who's slid) or trade down for Rogers, Smiley, Grove, or whoever.

I agree with Phuwin.

Would take DJ or Randy Starks, unless another guy on D has slid - Wilfork, Harris, Udeze, Vilma, Hall.

Or would trade down for Grove, or Jacobs if they really feel that he can stay a fixture at RT. If Carey is gone by 20, Smiley would be gone by 32 in your scenario.

I think I may be forgetting a very important thing when it comes to drafting an o-lineman. That is, can he come in and play from the start this year or not. Of course, Gallery will get drafted and also be expected to start, but what about Andrews or Carey? In my mind, I was thinking yes, but maybe I am mistaking. Maybe these guys need a year or two. That said, I think I would change my stratagy and focus on guys I think can come in and play this year and maybe get a O-lineman later in the draft.
I think a LB can come in and play and a DT may get into the rotation. WR's take a little time, but may contribute in other ways. Maybe the better way to go would be to take one of those players or trade down.

Steve

If Andrews and Carey are off the board, Id look at guys like Starks, Dockett Udeze, Wilfolk, or Lee Evans.

Dont want Mike Clayton at all.

This is a tough call. I think you then go to one of the talented WR in the draft. If not, then you trade down into the early 2nd and still pick up Grove, etc. And get an extra pick.

Sorry guys, unless someone really special on defense falls to us I can't see the logic in taking a defensive player when we are missing the entire right side of the OLine right now, and had one of the worst passing offense in the league. We need players who can play this year and that means the highest rated possible talent.

Well, I agree we could use help on the right side of the line, but don't take someone just to be taking an OL....I think Smiley could be on our sights if none of the tackles are there...He will be a starter from day one and is talented as Andrews is at tackle...The problem with trading down is that every team from about 15 down may want to trade down...I like the idea, but think that there may not be too many suitors. If we don't find one of the targeted OLs then they will probably go DT or WR...

You guys are touching on the problem Rick may be having with our OL. Finding guys who can step in and play this year. It is a tough call. I guess I better get used to the fact that St. Clair will be our starting RT. Right now, that's just a hard pill for me to swallow.

Steve

This is a very weak draft for offensive linemen if you are looking for a player to come in and start right away. Outside of Robert Gallery at tackle, Shawn Andrews at tackle, and Justin Smiley at guard, you will be hard pressed to find a lineman that is ready to start from day 1 in this draft.

A bit later on, you may find some linemen that will be starters down the road but need a year in the weight room and on the practice field before they are ready. Those guys far outnumber the ones that are ready to start.

There is no way St. Clair is going into the season as the undisputed RT starter. Even if the phins dont get a RT or RG till the thrid round, you can be assured that he will be given every chance to unseat St. Clair as the starter. St. Clair is only there as a stopgap and I doubt any1 has confidence he can be a good RT in this league.

I think we'll go WR or DT with our first pic and go o-line in round 3. I don't know why people are talking about Grove again. He's not in the cards guys. We have a center already so get use to it.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm not sure if it's just bull crap or what, but...

Ferretsquig said:
There is no way St. Clair is going into the season as the undisputed RT starter. Even if the phins dont get a RT or RG till the thrid round, you can be assured that he will be given every chance to unseat St. Clair as the starter. St. Clair is only there as a stopgap and I doubt any1 has confidence he can be a good RT in this league.

Rick has said that he thinks St. Clair can be a serviceable RT. I don't know why, but I haven't heard any of our coaches associate any other line position with St. Clair other than RT. That sure is puzzling since St. Clair was a OC when he was drafted. I hope our coaches know what they are doing.

Steve

I just wonder why you wouldn't be sold on a four year starter for the college National Champions that most agree will contribute in this league for 10 years.

I'd be happy with the pick. I'd be more impressed with a Chris Snee pick though. :D

strutterphin said:
Shouldnt Andrews be there according to all the mock drafts I've seen

Are mocks ever right?

All of them have changed three times or more. No sarcasm intended for you here but WTF do they know?

Most of the "reporting" that I've seen from these bums has been stolen from the writers actually hearing the words in Davie, Florida (The Herald, Sun-Sentinel, The PB Post).

Back
Top Bottom