For those of us who don’t know enough | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those of us who don’t know enough

GrieseMarinoTua

The future is bright, the future is aqua & orange
Super Donator
Reaction score
Hi family,

Hope you’re all well and keeping safe.

I’m from the UK so my knowledge of the NFL compared to many of the excellent knowledgable posters here is limited but my knowledge of the college game is even more limited.

Over here we used to get 200-300 max attending our university football (soccer) matches And that’s the main sport in this country. So my mind was blown when I started realising the importance, value and number of attendees US colleges have, in every sport.

But a couple of posters, whom I should mention I enjoy reading their posts and are quite ‘clued up’, have with confidence said a football coach would take a college HC position at Bama for example ahead of a OC role in the NFL.

I hold the belief that the nfl is the top tier of the sport so surely an OC role in the NFL trumps (sorry no offence intended) a HC role in a college team. Am I oversimplifying this, and underestimating the power of a HC role at Bama, Clem or Ohio or other colleges?

Thanks in advance.

Around the world ,,...most people don't know who Brian Flores is.....I'm willing to bet more people know who Nick Saban is..
There are a few college teams that are a more prestigious jobs than a lot of pro teams...

Around the world ,,...most people don't know who Brian Flores is.....I'm willing to bet more people know who Nick Saban is..
There are a few college teams that are a more prestigious jobs than a lot of pro teams...
Is the pay grade much different namor I know they take their college sports seriously and assume the pay must be good so basically an OC at Jags for example would see the HC at Bama job a step up. I guess it must depend on what that person is looking to get out of that HC job at college level.

Has there ever been a coach do you know that has remained at college level all their coaching career and rejected NFL positions?

It really surprises me, I just thought in my simple mind that the nfl would be the holy grail.

At Bama,,we would never hire anyone that was coach of the Jags...I can promise you that..
It basically boils down to recruiting...If your a great x and o's coach and enjoy recruiting....college is for you.
If your a great x and o's coach that doesn't like to recruit,but enjoys working 16 to 20 hours a day..the pros are for you....
Depending on the college and the pro team..head coaching money can be about the same...(golden parachutes ,buyout money)
is better in college for the top guys.

Bear Bryant turned down the Dolphins job before they hired Don Shula. It happens a lot more than people realize.

It’s amazing how many NFL head coaches and coordinators end up coming to work for Saban at Alabama. You never stop learning.

In the NFL, the talent level is higher, and much more balanced... The coordinators have to be much better.

In the college game, you can win with recruiting... and some do. This doesn't work in the NFL.

Bear Bryant turned down the Dolphins job before they hired Don Shula. It happens a lot more than people realize.

It’s amazing how many NFL head coaches and coordinators end up coming to work for Saban at Alabama. You never stop learning.
How long you give Urban at Jacksonville before more 'health" problems?

How long you give Urban at Jacksonville before more 'health" problems?

Coaching the Jaguars won’t be nearly as stressful on him as being the head coach at Florida and Ohio St. was. You don’t have to work year round in the NFL.

Coaching the Jaguars won’t be nearly as stressful on him as being the head coach at Florida and Ohio St. was. You don’t have to work year round in the NFL.
Also...No Nick to worry about...LOL

Back
Top Bottom