For those of you that like Smiley and Evans.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those of you that like Smiley and Evans..

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people on this board including me like Smiley and just as many, including me again like Evans. So who would you guys take if it came down to those 2 players? I know I have Smiley on my mock draft to us as our 1st round pick. But now I've been thinking about Evans being out there with CC,Boston,Randay and Ricky all at the same time and I have to admit that I love the way it sounds.The thing is that if we take Smiley we can still get a decent WR in round 3 if we want to. But if we take Evans we won't get a guard nearly as good as Smiley.But then again maybe Whitley and/or yates will turn out to be good. So who would you guys take?I honestly can't make up my mind right now.

Ozzy rules!!

You ever hear the term "all show and no go"?

That's the way I see the situation. If we don't have the horses up front this pimped out ride aint leaving curb.
:D

Smiley. If we get Smiley, that means we probably have gained an extra pick. :nate:

i really like evans, but its been said many times we will not be running much 3 wide packages, so unless boston fails, chambers can't be resigned next year, or either get injured, evens would have to beat one of them out for significant playing time and i don't see that to be likely. now i really really like smiley, just fantastic athletic ability and i think he stands a much better chance to beat out whitley, yates or whoever for rg. therefore under this scenario i think smiley would be the better choice.

Originally posted by Danny
I know lots of people on this board including me like Smiley and just as many, including me again like Evans. So who would you guys take if it came down to those 2 players? I know I have Smiley on my mock draft to us as our 1st round pick. But now I've been thinking about Evans being out there with CC,Boston,Randay and Ricky all at the same time and I have to admit that I love the way it sounds.The thing is that if we take Smiley we can still get a decent WR in round 3 if we want to. But if we take Evans we won't get a guard nearly as good as Smiley.But then again maybe Whitley and/or yates will turn out to be good. So who would you guys take?I honestly can't make up my mind right now.

Ozzy rules!!

You answered for me. If we take any WR as opposed to OL, we won't get starter quality in the 3rd. However, we can probably get a legit #3 WR (we hopefully already have one on the roster, anyway) in round 3.

BTW, you heard it here first. DJ Hackett, Colorado receiver. He'll be available on day 2 and he'll be on someone's roster in 2004...

Smiley looks alot like the guy Miami tried trading up for last year in the 2003 NFL Draft. Someone by the name of...

Steinbach??

I personally thought Miami liked the strong legged lineman. Smiley is more of all upper body and weak legged type lineman.

I think Miami has Chris Snee rated higher than Smiley.

everything i read about smiley is he has great strength in his hips and legs, but the upper body needs work. he only had about 19 reps on bench at combine.

I'm for either Snee or Smiley. One trade down, snag either lineman, then in the 3rd go Kelly Butler(I'm hell bent on drafting Oline this year, sorry...) and then maybe WR or LB or DT.

Originally posted by dodge
everything i read about smiley is he has great strength in his hips and legs, but the upper body needs work. he only had about 19 reps on bench at combine.

Justin Smiley
OG | (6'3", 298, 4.93) | ALABAMA | COLLEGE STATS
Data from Scouts, Inc.

Grade: 79
Comments: Smiley is an extremely efficient run blocker, but must get bigger and improve lower-body strength. Extremely quick. Fires out of his stance. Gets in great position. A tactician who understands angles and studies opposition tendencies. Excellent upper-body strength. Works hard to sustain blocks. Good initial pop. Mobile and athletic. Does an excellent job of pulling and trapping. Can reach the second level and hit moving target. Less polished in pass protect and play with leverage. Is effective, however, and can improve with experience and better technique. Has initial quickness to establish position against one-gap penetrating tackles. Decent reach and powerful punch. Adequate anchor vs. bull rush, rarely gets knocked on his heels. A fistfighter who will scrap to make sure his guy doesn't get the quarterback. Smiley must come out of his stance with more consistent leverage but has excellent natural initial quickness. Is a fine athlete for his size. Explosive out of his stance and rarely gets beat by first-step quickness. Must continue to add bulk and improve his base. Shows good arm and hand strength. Does a good job of locking on with his upper body and driving his legs as a run blocker. Can control defensive tackles at point of attack with solid hand placement. Is athletic and agile. Has exceptional speed for a guard. Is one of the fastest linemen in this year's class. Good body control and can consistently get body on linebackers on the second level. Is excellent on screens and downfield blocks. Smiley was a starting guard since his freshman season (2001). He missed two games because of a foot sprain as a junior in 203 but played 785 snaps overall and played 108 snaps in a five-overtime game against Tennessee. Smiley is an experienced, athletic, fast and well-conditioned interior lineman with terrific passion for the game. He is a tireless worker and leads by example. Smiley is an impressive all-around guard prospect who isn't too far behidn Vernon Carey. Smiley could be the second or third guard taken, most likely in Round 2.

From ESPN

Hey RUDE, what do they say about Snee? Just curious and would like to compare the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would without a doubt take Smiley or Evans. Smiley would fill a bigger need, we could use a stud 3rd WR but the right side of our line is awful and Smiley could definitely compete for the starting spot at RG. Taking Smiley would just make more sense to me.

Ok, I guess after reading the responses I can see my first instinc was right. We should take Smiley and if we want a WR we can do that in round 3 or later.
Smith,James,Seth,Smiley and either one of St.Claire/Randall till Mack gets back. I like that o-line wit Whitley,Yates,German and the RT that doesn't start all as back ups.Still, it'd be cool to have Evans too...lol

Ozzy rules!!

keep in mind here........for what its worth. spielman has been drafting in the SEC alot or at least looking in that direction all the time. i think we have more scouts there or somethin. whenever we draft out of the SEC, we seem to have some connection. like Ogun, Chambers (wisconsin coach w/ wanny)ect.

oh and another thing i was going to mention. The guy we will likely draft, unless Somebody like Andrews makes it to us, will probably be a guy we never heard mentioned by FO in newspapers.

Back
Top Bottom