For Those Who Bash Norv Turner Here is an Update on His Predecessor | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For Those Who Bash Norv Turner Here is an Update on His Predecessor

mf52dolphin

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of Norv Turner bashing in this site in the last week. Among the bashes are complaints about the lack of use of the 4 wideout formation(the posters forget that our tight end and tailback are the 2nd and third best deep threats on the team), which a favorite formation of his pedecessor, Chan Gailey.
Well last night on ESPN I was watching the Georgia Tech game. Gailey is the coach there now and does the play calling for them. Well during the game Gailey's Gerogia Tech team scored the huge total of 7 points during the game. Also those points came on a 19 yard drive. OK they won but still 7 points is not an explosive offensive performance.

um, i don't think that's a good comparison...college and nfl...different imo...i look at it this way...this team has depended on its defense to win games...even towards the end of Dan's last year here...the fins felt that the d was the savior...and norv is much better than chan...again that's just my opinion....so what your saying is we should be happy that we have norv instead of chan??? of course i am...but i don't think that comparing chan and his g. tech team to norv's offense here in miami is a good comparsion.

Point is, I dont think anyone in their right mind would want Chan Gailey back, either.

The big knock against Chan is that the Dolphins couldn't advance in the play offs. If he were a bad coach Georgia Tech wouldn't have offered him the head coaching job. You can't use one game to judge a coach. Tech did beat Auburn this year and lost to FSU by one point. He must be doing something right. NT is obviously a good OC but you have to admit that when every team we play knows what we are going to do, maybe he is being a bit too predictable.

Predictability, that was the mantra when we had Chan here too, maybe it isn't the Play callers but the fact that the playcallers have nothing really to call due to the fact that all our playmakers or most I should say are on the Defense.

ughhh, i chan gailey's name isnt banned from the board, it ought to be. it's enough to give me nightmares.

Actually, I think Chan did a lot for Fiedler. While he didn't like to use the FB or Te much, he actually played to Fiedler's strengths (i.e. throwing on the run, getting him out of the pocket, etc). Then again he had something to do with Jay being our QB in the first place, whereas Norv inherited Jay.

If you want to bash Chan, you'd better annihalate Kippy Brown.

Originally posted by Muck

Ahhhhh!!!!! Don't say that name!!!!!
You have a good point, Muck. I personally thought Chan Gailey wasn't that bad of a coordinator. Fiedler needs to be on the move to be more effective.

Originally posted by mf52dolphin
I have noticed a lot of Norv Turner bashing in this site in the last week. Among the bashes are complaints about the lack of use of the 4 wideout formation(the posters forget that our tight end and tailback are the 2nd and third best deep threats on the team), which a favorite formation of his pedecessor, Chan Gailey.
Well last night on ESPN I was watching the Georgia Tech game. Gailey is the coach there now and does the play calling for them. Well during the game Gailey's Gerogia Tech team scored the huge total of 7 points during the game. Also those points came on a 19 yard drive. OK they won but still 7 points is not an explosive offensive performance.
i haven't been bashing turner, i just know he has a bigger play book than he has used. i always thought chan sucked though!

Re: Re: For Those Who Bash Norv Turner Here is an Update on His Predecessor

Originally posted by dolfan06
i haven't been bashing turner, i just know he has a bigger play book than he has used. i always thought chan sucked though!

Hank G. also said today that the Fins have been game-planning around Fiedler's weaknesses. That would imply that they have not been using the full playbook.

Re: Re: Re: For Those Who Bash Norv Turner Here is an Update on His Predecessor

Originally posted by zachseau13

Hank G. also said today that the Fins have been game-planning around Fiedler's weaknesses. That would imply that they have not been using the full playbook.
that makes sense!:rolleyes: :yell:

I didnt care much for Chan but right now Im fed up with Norv. I didnt like him as a coach up here in Washington and I sure dont like him any better down in Miami as an OC.

The Fins hasve a large playbook and I dont think Norv knows what the heck to do in a situation. He is good but he gets confused easily I think.

To be fair though I also think that it is partially Wanny's and Jay's fault for not over ruling him when they know that the D is going to be stacked on the play.

I agree that Norv is going to need to go in the next couple years but lets first deal with our bigger problems (ie: Offensive Line.)

Chan has always done well. He gave Cordell Stewart his best 2 seasons as a QB, in Pittsburg, as their OC. He turned around the Cowboys, not as well as the Tuna is, but they plummeted when Chan left. Then remember, we won a playoff game with Chan; a thing we have not done under Norv.

Originally posted by Muck
Actually, I think Chan did a lot for Fiedler. While he didn't like to use the FB or Te much, he actually played to Fiedler's strengths (i.e. throwing on the run, getting him out of the pocket, etc). Then again he had something to do with Jay being our QB in the first place, whereas Norv inherited Jay.

that is something norv has not done lately, play to jays strengths. i have not seen rollouts or end arounds or anything. i bet you do if griese is in though.

Back
Top Bottom