For those who say we HAVE to take OL first... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who say we HAVE to take OL first...

GreenFin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I read a lot of people on this board saying that not matter what, we have to take OL with the fist pick because it is our weakest area. This type of thinking really bothers me so I did a little research on last year's OL draft and who did and did not contribute. Here it is:

Pos. Name Rnd/Pk Team Gms/Sts Outlook
OT - Jordan Gross (1-8) - Panthers - 16/16 - Very Good
OT - George Foster(1/20) - Broncos - 1/0 - Potential
C - Jeff Faine (1/21) - Browns - 9/9 - Good (Inj.)
OT- Kwamie Harris (1/26) 49ers 14/5 - Inconsistent
note: The Fins tried to trade up to land Harris
G - Eric Steinbach (2-33)- Bengals - 15/15 - Very Good
OT - Jon Stinchcomb (2/37) Saints - 6/0 - Needs time
C - Al Johnson (2/38) - Cowboys - 0/0 - Injured
G - Vince Manuwai(3/72)- Jaguars - 15/14 - Solid starter
OT- Wayne Hunter (3/73) Seahawks 16/16 - Needs time
OT - Seth Wand (3/75) - Texans - 16/2 - Good w/time
OT- Wade Smith (3/78)- Fins - 16/16 - Solid in pinch
OT- Courtney VanBuren(3/80)Chargers 8/7 - Struggled
OG - Derrick Dockery (3/81) Redskins 16/13 - OK in relief of injured starter Fiore. Better suited as backup.
G - Montrae Holland(4/102)Saints - 16/7 - Good
G - Steve Sciullo (4/122)- Colts - 13/13 - Steal
G - David Diehl (5/160)Giants - 16/16 - Adequate
C - Dan Koppen (5/164) Pats - 16/15 - Solid Starter

The draft is a crapshot. Some high picks panned out and some didn't. Some picks after the 3rd actually contributed right away. Just because OL is a big need doesn't mean we have to pass up a WR or LB or DL that could have a bigger impact and take a lesser talented O Lineman.

As you can see I was bored tonight. But I thought some of you could use some perspective. Gallery will be gone but if Andrews was there, he'd be worth a 20th pick. After that, the value just isn't there. So I hope they either trade down or take the best player available...regardless of position!

Right after the College season was over, some early mock drafts had the Giants taking Shawn Andrews with the #5 pick and others had the Browns selecting Andrews with the #7 pick. If Andrews falls to #20 after being highly touted right after the season, it more than likely will be an excellent pick.

So I do agree with you.

While many pre-draft reports had us going after Harris, I beleive after the draft Spielman/Wannstedt said they were really targetting Steinbach.

I think that list really outlines how successful Wade Smith's performance was. Really the only Tackle taken in last year's draft that played better than him was Jordan Gross.

You forgot about Taylor Whitley, who was a third round pick. I don't think he was active for a single game last season.

I think if Andrews isn't available at #20, we should take the BPA or trade down. There are no offensive linemen worth taking at that spot besides Gallery and Andrews, and I think both will be gone by then (Gallary is definitely top 5, and I think Andrews will go in the top 15)

I agree, but Miami wasn't trying to get Harris. They wanted Steinbach. They thought he could play LT.

the great thing about this.....

We don't have to draft anything in particular.

Nice job Greenfin especially for a Cane's guy :)

But, I think your argument, that there is good OL talent in later rounds is a bit flawed. Sure, there are some guys that will fall for one reason or another or just never get noticed, but that's true in any position including QB (Warner) RB (Terrell Davis) WR (Wayne Crebet) and so on.

If you got a guy that you think will be a player and you are on the clock, you pick him. That's all there is to it.

I think it was a good post and I agree that you can get good or bad players on any round. BTW,for those who think that Gallery and Andrews are the only linemen worth taking at 20, I think Smiley will be a probowler before Andrews and I agree with some people who now have Smiley as the 2nd best lineman in the draft. Just my opinion.

Ozzy rules!!

I can't see the FO going after any OL in the 1st round.

Originally posted by PhinKev
Nice job Greenfin especially for a Cane's guy :)

But, I think your argument, that there is good OL talent in later rounds is a bit flawed. Sure, there are some guys that will fall for one reason or another or just never get noticed, but that's true in any position including QB (Warner) RB (Terrell Davis) WR (Wayne Crebet) and so on.

If you got a guy that you think will be a player and you are on the clock, you pick him. That's all there is to it.

Thanks Kev....But my argument wasn't that there is good OL talent in the later rounds. It was just to show that just because you take a guy early doesn't autmatically mean he will contribute right away (which is what some people think will happen). And there were just as many guys contributing in the later rounds as there were in the first 2. So we don't have to take OL with the first pick just because it's a weak spot on the team. Especially if it means passing up a more talent player at a different position.

Basically what it boiled down to was your last point. BPA....

Originally posted by GreenFin
I read a lot of people on this board saying that not matter what, we have to take OL with the fist pick because it is our weakest area. This type of thinking really bothers me so I did a little research on last year's OL draft and who did and did not contribute. Here it is:

Pos. Name Rnd/Pk Team Gms/Sts Outlook
OT - Jordan Gross (1-8) - Panthers - 16/16 - Very Good
OT - George Foster(1/20) - Broncos - 1/0 - Potential
C - Jeff Faine (1/21) - Browns - 9/9 - Good (Inj.)
OT- Kwamie Harris (1/26) 49ers 14/5 - Inconsistent
note: The Fins tried to trade up to land Harris
G - Eric Steinbach (2-33)- Bengals - 15/15 - Very Good
OT - Jon Stinchcomb (2/37) Saints - 6/0 - Needs time
C - Al Johnson (2/38) - Cowboys - 0/0 - Injured
G - Vince Manuwai(3/72)- Jaguars - 15/14 - Solid starter
OT- Wayne Hunter (3/73) Seahawks 16/16 - Needs time
OT - Seth Wand (3/75) - Texans - 16/2 - Good w/time
OT- Wade Smith (3/78)- Fins - 16/16 - Solid in pinch
OT- Courtney VanBuren(3/80)Chargers 8/7 - Struggled
OG - Derrick Dockery (3/81) Redskins 16/13 - OK in relief of injured starter Fiore. Better suited as backup.
G - Montrae Holland(4/102)Saints - 16/7 - Good
G - Steve Sciullo (4/122)- Colts - 13/13 - Steal
G - David Diehl (5/160)Giants - 16/16 - Adequate
C - Dan Koppen (5/164) Pats - 16/15 - Solid Starter

The draft is a crapshot. Some high picks panned out and some didn't. Some picks after the 3rd actually contributed right away. Just because OL is a big need doesn't mean we have to pass up a WR or LB or DL that could have a bigger impact and take a lesser talented O Lineman.

As you can see I was bored tonight. But I thought some of you could use some perspective. Gallery will be gone but if Andrews was there, he'd be worth a 20th pick. After that, the value just isn't there. So I hope they either trade down or take the best player available...regardless of position!

Don't forget Steve Hutchinson...Pro Bowler. But, I see what point you're trying to make.

I still say time will tell with Harris, that kid is going to be a stud LT in a couple of years.

Originally posted by GreenFin

Thanks Kev....But my argument wasn't that there is good OL talent in the later rounds. It was just to show that just because you take a guy early doesn't autmatically mean he will contribute right away (which is what some people think will happen). And there were just as many guys contributing in the later rounds as there were in the first 2. So we don't have to take OL with the first pick just because it's a weak spot on the team. Especially if it means passing up a more talent player at a different position.

Basically what it boiled down to was your last point. BPA....

So I'd say we agree :D

I'd even go further and say that people, including NFL people, over value draft picks for a couple of reasons.

1. The hit miss ratio is about 50-50 in the 1st Round.

2. The Salary Cap Implications: You pay big bucks for top picks without any idea how they will look on the field. If you make a mistake that will cost you for years as it did us with Fletcher and you have to carry the turd because of the signing bonus.

That's why I find it silly that no one will give a 1 for Ogun, which they will shell out big money for maybes.

In my book, proven seems a lot better than maybe.

Originally posted by 4THand10
I can't see the FO going after any OL in the 1st round.
Man i hope youre right, i want to go after a WR or BPA.

Back
Top Bottom