Former Dolphin Troy Vincent lends support to fellow Badger Jamar Fletcher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Dolphin Troy Vincent lends support to fellow Badger Jamar Fletcher

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Former Dolphin Troy Vincent lends support to fellow Badger Jamar Fletcher
"Let me tell you, Jamar Fletcher has a bright, bright future. This is a league where there are very few good cover corners, which is why you see the premium guys staying around a long time. Jamar Fletcher is going to be one of those guys. If not in Miami, there will be other teams looking for that kind of talent."
-- Troy Vincent

Troy Vincent is the only FA I ever regretted see leave :(

I'm not one of those guys who is writing off Fletch either. It would help if Bates didn't match him up with the top WR!! He seems to cover #3 receivers just fine. Damn, Madison or Surtain need to follow the top guns no matter where they line up. Is that freaking hard to understand? I wanted to tar and feather Bates when Moss scorched Fletch on that big gain. He had no business on him.

I also agree Vincent is the man! Only Madison and Surtain could ease the pain of his departure.

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
I'm not one of those guys who is writing off Fletch either. It would help if Bates didn't match him up with the top WR!! He seems to cover #3 receivers just fine. Damn, Madison or Surtain need to follow the top guns no matter where they line up. Is that freaking hard to understand? I wanted to tar and feather Bates when Moss scorched Fletch on that big gain. He had no business on him.

I also agree Vincent is the man! Only Madison and Surtain could ease the pain of his departure.

Ummmm, should'nt a #1 draft pick who briefly held out for more money be able to cover top recievers without looking like he's running waist deep in a pool of oatmeal???????

That's why people are down on him and for good reason. A #1 pick should'nt be having problems keeping his nickel DB job in his second year! I haven't seen one analyst that has gone over all the Dolphin games that haven't called Fletcher out as a major weak point in this defense. Game tapes win over fans who refuse to believe anyone on their team just dosen't cut it!

it is time to look at Fletcher strictly as a #3 CB and not as a #1 pick - does that change your opinion of him, i.e. is he a good enough #3 CB compared to other team's #3s like say Ray Mickens ?

Exactly, good point 39. As a #1 pick, he is a disappointment right now, but he's still better than say.....John Avery, et al and many others in the same draft!

First year actually getting playing time.He does a good job for the most part and whenever he is there is because Surtain is in the slot that means 95% time he is covering either #1 or #2 receiver.Cornerback is hardest position to play in the NFL and I think Fletcher is going to become a great player.

Originally posted by minus
First year actually getting playing time.He does a good job for the most part and whenever he is there is because Surtain is in the slot that means 95% time he is covering either #1 or #2 receiver.Cornerback is hardest position to play in the NFL and I think Fletcher is going to become a great player.

Hopefully he becomes a "great player" some time in the very near future otherwise he's going to be doing it for someone else.

Originally posted by dolphan39

Troy Vincent is the only FA I ever regretted see leave :(

Man you got that right... Vincent is a class act all the way. Imagine the secondary with Vincent, Surtain, and Madison as the NB.... whooooo doggie!

Fletcher is good...don't why people say he sucks.

Re: Re: Former Dolphin Troy Vincent lends support to fellow Badger Jamar Fletcher

Originally posted by WharfRat
Man you got that right... Vincent is a class act all the way. Imagine the secondary with Vincent, Surtain, and Madison as the NB.... whooooo doggie!

If we still had Vincent chances are we never would have gotten Madison or Surtain....possibly both even.

We all agree the pass interference call against the Patsies was bogus right? Well, The only other time I remember Fletcher being involved in a key play that fateful day was a great 1 on 1 knock down with airtight coverage on the reciever. Jamar Fletcher is improving, will continue to improve, and will make Vincent's words prophetic.

P.S. I was really pissed at Jimmy when he let Vincent get away in 96 during his obsessive Shula purge.

Re: Re: Re: Former Dolphin Troy Vincent lends support to fellow Badger Jamar Fletcher

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
If we still had Vincent chances are we never would have gotten Madison or Surtain....possibly both even.

Very true... but it's the offseason... dreaming is all we have right now! ;)

I agree with Vincent. Fletcher's big problem now is pass interference, because he is not very use to bump and run, press coverage tactics. Miami's DBs set a standard of physicality and its hard to find that fine line between what the refs will and will not call. It is Madison's and Surtain's responsibility to show him that fine line. But I agree with Vincent's assessment of Fletcher's ability and I think Fletcher turned out to be a fine nickel CB this season and will be even better next

Back
Top Bottom