Former ump Gregg dies after stroke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former ump Gregg dies after stroke

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Former major league umpire Eric Gregg, known for his big personality, extra-wide strike zone and oversized frame, died Monday night, a day after a massive stroke. He was 55.

"I want him to be remembered as someone who loved the game of baseball, someone who was determined to make it no matter what," his son, Kevin Gregg, told The Associated Press.

Gregg, whose struggles with weight problems saw him reach almost 400 pounds, told family members Sunday morning at his home in Ardmore, Pa., that he couldn't feel anything on his left side. He was hospitalized and died at 6:45 p.m. Monday.

Gregg was among 22 umpires who lost their jobs in 1999 when their labor plan of mass resignations backfired. Known for his large strike zone, he worked the 1989 World Series, four championship series, two division series and one All-Star game.

"He was so determined to be in the game and he got there," Kevin Gregg said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/06/05/obit.gregg.ap/index.html

I was there the day Livan struck out 16 against the Braves to send us to the World Series thanks to a, uh, generous strike zone from Gregg. One of my best memories as a fan.

Back
Top Bottom