Forum Reform | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forum Reform

Alright so going by your rules there would be about 5 new threads during this slow offseason, first would be the dansby thread...

Fans are allowed to talk about the dolphins and all the related subjects in the main forum, thats what it is there for. If you have an issue with this, refer to the questions and answers forum, look for the Terms of Service thread.

And btw this thread was posted in the main forum, which IS against our rules, perhaps if one was to try and change the rules they should first know them, and adhere to them. If this thread was posted in the questions and answers forum, or if you had asked a mod or admin in private, you would've gotten a warmer response.

Are you aware that the TOS link in the "Introduce yourself" forum under the "Read me First" sticky is broken?

I'd love the opportunity to actually have an intelligent discussion about this, because in my (slightly less than humble, admittedly) opinion, there's a pretty harsh double standard here.

I've never had this issue on any other forum...and it just strikes me as a little odd. It doesn't appear that the OP was tremendously abusive...and honestly, it seems he was bullied a lot more than anything else for daring to post what he did in the first place. Anyone who defends him gets accused of crying by the same bandwagon. That sort of thing tends to get my hackles up, and I come off as a little more harsh than I mean to.

Let me ask this question, and perhaps you'll understand where I'm coming from:

Why is it okay to criticize a new thread and the OP of the thread by stating, for example: "This thread is tiresome", "Do we really need another thread like this" and "The sky is falling!" and "why are you so negative all the time" etc? This goes on continually. Often times, mods are even the ones who MAKE these sort of comments within the thread. So apparently, that's perfectly acceptable.

However, a new THREAD which basically sums up the exact same sentiments stated above is jumped upon like it's the most offensive thing in the history of message boards.

EDIT: Sorry, the broken link is in the "Welcome" sticky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware that the TOS link in the "Introduce yourself" forum under the "Read me First" sticky is broken?
Fixed.

I've never had this issue on any other forum...and it just strikes me as a little odd. It doesn't appear that the OP was tremendously abusive...and honestly, it seems he was bullied a lot more than anything else for daring to post what he did in the first place. Anyone who defends him gets accused of crying by the same bandwagon. That sort of thing tends to get my hackles up, and I come off as a little more harsh than I mean to.
I can see your POV nobody likes a bully. There certainly is a balance to be maintained between posters.

Let me ask this question, and perhaps you'll understand where I'm coming from:

Why is it okay to criticize a new thread and the OP of the thread by stating, for example: "This thread is tiresome", "Do we really need another thread like this" and "The sky is falling!" and "why are you so negative all the time" etc? This goes on continually. Often times, mods are even the ones who MAKE these sort of comments within the thread. So apparently, that's perfectly acceptable.

However, a new THREAD which basically sums up the exact same sentiments stated above is jumped upon like it's the most offensive thing in the history of message boards.

EDIT: Sorry, the broken link is in the "Welcome" sticky.
I've taken the time to reread the original post and the response to the original post. My quick thoughts...

First it was posted in the wrong forum.
Off Topic
Added: May 01, 2002 - Please keep posts where they belong. If you wish to talk about politics for example, please post it in
Political | War Forum. If you wish to talk about other NFL teams, post it in "General NFL." And, of course, if you wish to talk about YOUR MIAMI DOLPHINS, post it in the Miami Dolphins forum! If an Admin or Mod find that you have posted an off topic post, it will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Second it called out specific threads as being of poor quality. While this may or may not be true of the threads that were called out, when he called out these threads it could've been considered a personal attack on those thread starters, and on the posters who participated in those threads.

Finally other than the fact that this was posted in the main forum, the biggest problem many people have and this is probably entirely ego driven, is to be called out by "the new guy." I'm not saying someone shouldn't have an opinion, (and it would be very ironic that the very people who defend the right of others to start the listed threads would in turn try to stiffle this thread) I think many would be hard pressed to disagree that perhaps the new guy shouldn't rock the boat so much, esp with his first post.

So in summary, op had the right intentions, he even had the right to start this very thread... In the right forum (questions and answers), however he didn't have the right to call out posters/thread starters.

I'll agree that some of the responses in this thread could've and should've been handled differently. I'll do what I can to correct this issue.

Fixed.

I can see your POV nobody likes a bully. There certainly is a balance to be maintained between posters.

I've taken the time to reread the original post and the response to the original post. My quick thoughts...

First it was posted in the wrong forum.

Second it called out specific threads as being of poor quality. While this may or may not be true of the threads that were called out, when he called out these threads it could've been considered a personal attack on those thread starters, and on the posters who participated in those threads.

Finally other than the fact that this was posted in the main forum, the biggest problem many people have and this is probably entirely ego driven, is to be called out by "the new guy." I'm not saying someone shouldn't have an opinion, (and it would be very ironic that the very people who defend the right of others to start the listed threads would in turn try to stiffle this thread) I think many would be hard pressed to disagree that perhaps the new guy shouldn't rock the boat so much, esp with his first post.

So in summary, op had the right intentions, he even had the right to start this very thread... In the right forum (questions and answers), however he didn't have the right to call out posters/thread starters.

I'll agree that some of the responses in this thread could've and should've been handled differently. I'll do what I can to correct this issue.

Thanks for the well thought-out response and the time you took to compose it. The bolded part of your quote is generally what keeps me scratching my head...it's what got my Irish up waaaaay back when something similar happened to me.

Anyway, two things:

1) It can get kinda confusing to determine where to post what, and to be honest, when I first joined this forum, I was so excited to have found it, I just plowed in and started posting. Was that the correct way to do it? Probably not. However, I'd wager that the majority of first-time posters do it that way.

2) Upon reviewing, he did seem to call out individual posters, but it wasn't obvious at first glance. I didn't notice that the examples he used were actual thread titles at first.

If nothing else, I've illustrated that I really need to learn to let things go.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the well thought-out response and the time you took to compose it. The bolded part of your quote is generally what keeps me scratching my head...it's what got my Irish up waaaaay back when something similar happened to me.

Anyway, two things:

1) It can get kinda confusing to determine where to post what, and to be honest, when I first joined this forum, I was so excited to have found it, I just plowed in and started posting. Was that the correct way to do it? Probably not. However, I'd wager that the majority of first-time posters do it that way.
I absolutely want new members to jump in!!! New posters bring new ideas, new debates, new personality! However I think most new posters understand that you should contribute a bit, get to know your new roomies before you use all the toilet paper, drink the last coke and clean out the fridge.
2) Upon reviewing, he did seem to call out individual posters, but it wasn't obvious at first glance. I didn't notice that the examples he used were actual thread titles at first.

If nothing else, I've illustrated that I really need to learn to let things go.

Thanks again.
no worries, if nothing else i'm glad I was able to take a few minutes to talk with you about this, and at some level I hope your concerns are put to rest or at least eased a bit. I'd love to see the thread starter bounce back, and start some threads and have some discussion about the very subject which brought him to this forum in the first place... Our Team.

Back
Top Bottom