Frachise Poll | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frachise Poll

What should we do for the franchise tagged players?

• Keep current rule

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Let them be traded immediately after being tagged

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Current Rule:
courtesy of saint greg:
we agreed on 72 hours into free agency....All franchise/transition/RFAs that didn't receive bids were considered to be sigend by their teams.

As for the rule. The purpose behind it is too keep people with no cap room from simply tagging and trading....if we allow it to be that easy the top two players from each team will be off the market, no matter what the teams cap position is.....this way if they want to tag and trade, they have to have the player on their roster at the beginnning of the free agent period, and be under the cap. If they want to spend the cap room they create by trading him later, they can do that.

If over half of the league would like to change this rule...that would be fine with me. But i think it's a good rule, with a good purpose. You can agree to a trade in "principle" if you want...and make the trade later. But that doesn't mean you can save a PM of his and consider that proof of him agreeing to a trade. If he changes his mind between now and then....he changes his mind.

--Initially i didnt understand the rule, but now it makes sense since it forces the team that tags him to take on his salary for a few days into the period, and he has to find other ways to get under the cap before FA starts and keep his big gun so he can trade him and get something in return.

the argument for changing the rule to letting guys be tagged and traded immediately are as follows:
--if a team decides to tag a guy, most teams will not be able to have the firepower (2 first round draft picks or some arrangement of picks equivalent to that)

and then there is this from the raiders owner:
the only thing I see wrong with this, is people have to wait until 3 days after our FA period begins, but teams have already started trading and talking trades...I cant even discuss a possible trade with Woodson, because at this rate I can't even trade him for a week from now, while everyone else is setting up their offseason moves to take place as soon as it officially begins. Also, GM's have no way of restructuring contracts or resigning FA's who would normally accept a lower salary just to stay on that Team's roster...instead they have to bid. Some adjustments have been made to make it more practical for a Mock Off Season already, and to me this makes more sense, but my opinion is heavily biased at this point with some major off season moves being made around Woodson.

Either way the League decides I'll be behind it, that's just my opinion

so he cant discuss a trade for woodson and guys hes interested in will have been traded away to other teams or cut to save cap room because no one wants to wait a week to have an outside shot at woodson.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'll tell you what...if i have a "trade in principle" for a superstar player, im not going to mind the wait...not to mention it's not really that long of a wait..

also, frankly...there's been a ton of trades (some, very arguably lobsided) in just a few days, i don't think it would be such a bad thing if we're forced to perhaps be a little patient, and get a good feel for market values are, etc..

and wasnt there talk about making a roster minimum? So people couldnt cut half their players to bid like crazy in FA? Im all for that rule

without a doubt there NEEDS to be a roster minimum for just that reason, but it also reemphasizes the argument for a lower cap...

despite the fact we're working with a lower cap, it does not mean we should have a different roster minimum than the NFL (we simply adjusted our cap number to fit the salaries we're working with)...therefore...

if you divide a team's cap maximum (currently 50 million), by the number of players on its team (a maximum of 49 in the NFL, i believe), you would get the average salary for a player on that team and not far from the average salary in this league...follow so far?...

50,000,000 divided by 49 players = $1,020,408.16

...it is impossible when looking at all of our rosters to argue that the average salary in our league is $1million, let alone more...it would probably take too much number crunching to figure out the real average, but id be willing to bet it's several hundred thousand less...

even if you think the average salary in this league is $900,000, it would set the salary cap at $44 million...something for you all to think about..

Originally posted by RayLu11
without a doubt there NEEDS to be a roster minimum for just that reason, but it also reemphasizes the argument for a lower cap...

despite the fact we're working with a lower cap, it does not mean we should have a different roster minimum than the NFL (we simply adjusted our cap number to fit the salaries we're working with)...therefore...

if you divide a team's cap maximum (currently 50 million), by the number of players on its team (a maximum of 49 in the NFL, i believe), you would get the average salary for a player on that team and not far from the average salary in this league...follow so far?...

50,000,000 divided by 49 players = $1,020,408.16

...it is impossible when looking at all of our rosters to argue that the average salary in our league is $1million, let alone more...it would probably take too much number crunching to figure out the real average, but id be willing to bet it's several hundred thousand less...

even if you think the average salary in this league is $900,000, it would set the salary cap at $44 million...something for you all to think about..

Another reason why I'm for a 48 million dollar cap ceiling.......

if 53 is the minimum, divide our cap of $50 million by 53...i still dont think the average salary in this league is that high..

Back
Top Bottom