"Franchise tag in play for Dolphins’ Sean Smith" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Franchise tag in play for Dolphins’ Sean Smith"

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/franchise-tag-in-play-for-dolphins-sean-smith/

According to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins will “almost certainly” place the franchise tag on Smith if they can’t sign him long term before free agency commences. Volin does not consider fellow impending free agent Jake Long a realistic franchise-tag candidate after a poor season that ended on injured reserve.

The franchise number for cornerbacks will be more affordable ($10-11 million), and Smith has missed just one game in his four-year career. The Dolphins would certainly prefer to lock up Smith with a lucrative extension. But either way, it sounds like he’s not going anywhere.

WTF has he done besides give up TD to warrant a big pay day?

I have advocated tagging Smith for awhile now. Corners are hard to find. Keeping elements of the D together is a must.

As much as I would like to say, "Your insane if you franchise or pay Smith anything near that
$10 million a year number" I think the Miami Dolphins and Jeff Ireland made a huge mistake
paying Dimitri Patterson $5.6 million in 2013 and $6.4 million in 2014 in doing so they
raised the price it will cost to retain Smith.

David Canter must be licking his chops knowing the Dolphins have set the bar
and Sean Smith will be well north of Pattersons salary numbers if Smith resigns in Miami

Where do you guys suppose to find quality corners? ****ty draft for corners and the FA market is just as pricey as you are complaining the Smith deal to be.

Don't bitchhh when we don't have the money for a free agent wide receiver because we blew the $10 million on Sean Smith

I thought most teams only "franchised" good players who were hard to replace?

If we franchise Smith we will be paying 10 mill to smith, 6 mill to Marshall and possibly 5 mill to Patterson, damn Vontae davis doesnt seem so bad now lol

Vontea Davis > Sean Smith
Vontea Davis is horrible (according to most around here these days)
Horrible > Sean Smith

Smith is still the best CB on the roster right now, so meh.

Back
Top Bottom