Franchise Tag Landry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Franchise Tag Landry

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
If you are in charge, do you do it? Even if you don't intend to sign him, is it worth the bluff to get a draft pick back? Will someone still sign him? The cost is just over 15 million. The Non-exclusive tag would give us a first round pick back if I'm correct?

If you are in charge, do you do it? Even if you don't intend to sign him, is it worth the bluff to get a draft pick back? Will someone still sign him? The cost is just over 15 million. The Non-exclusive tag would give us a first round pick back if I'm correct?

No, tagging him means nobody touches him because the pick or picks would come from the signing team. Nobody will pay him a big contract AND give up a first rounder. I highly doubt Miami tags him. They either sign him or he walks and they use the money elsewhere.

No, tagging him means nobody touches him because the pick or picks would come from the signing team. Nobody will pay him a big contract AND give up a first rounder. I highly doubt Miami tags him. They either sign him or he walks and they use the money elsewhere.
This is what I was curious about. Would the pick deter everyone from signing him? Would it be so bad if no one signed him and we paid him 15 million for one year, especially if the QB position has better play this season?

You might get away with this if it were Aaron Rogers or a player like that, but no team is going to make Landry one of the highest paid WRs in the league and then give a first round pick on top of that. No, the Dolphins IMO will let him walk and continue to build the team through the draft.

This is what I was curious about. Would the pick deter everyone from signing him? Would it be so bad if no one signed him and we paid him 15 million for one year, especially if the QB position has better play this season?
What’s the point of paying him huge money for one year? Do you actually think they’re making a deep playoff run, much less Super Bowl run, and that he’s an indispensable piece? Contending for wildcard is this team’s ceiling, and that’s assuming they fix the holes and Tannehill comes back strong. They either need to sign him to a new contract or let him walk— and given his salary demands, they should do the later and get on with improving the rest of the team.

I wouldn’t say it’s totally out of the question- it could lead to a tag and trade but they don’t happen very often.

The thought of tagging him and keeping him around one more year to see how Parker performs in 18 and furher evaluation of Landry’s maturity etc I think is a valid consideration.

The final decision has to be made as part of the rest of the roster decisions though because of the high cap hit- do we rescind James 5th yesr option? Who else is purged from the roster Timmons, Thomas etc and are we content with doing little to nothing in FA?

In the end I think he probably walks, which is a shame because they should have moved him at the trade deadline in hindsight.

It's like treading water...I wouldn't do it...

If I were planning to keep him I would just sign him up ...why put a one year rental on him?....it's too much money for his position and his overall value to the offense...his agent, like many on this site and throughout the league, has insight to the other silly contracts we have "negotiated" and is playing that card to get more money for his client (and himself)....

Crazy high dollar contracts for players that don't make a huge impact for our team, in terms of wins and losses, has to stop....his emotional impact??? Have never seen that kind of energy win a championship....hire better cheerleaders and a new mascot for that

Nope! If they aren't going to sign him long term then just let the guy go.

I would hate to see what that charming personality is going to be like all season with a Franchise tag on him. No thank you don't need the distraction.

I could see the 49ers or the Browns throwing the extra money at Landry but no good team is paying Landry 14-15 mil a year. Franchise tagging him would be extremely unwise with so many holes needing to be filled or strengthen. I hope they keep Landry but not at the cost of weakening the rest of the team.

I wouldn’t say it’s totally out of the question- it could lead to a tag and trade but they don’t happen very often.

The thought of tagging him and keeping him around one more year to see how Parker performs in 18 and furher evaluation of Landry’s maturity etc I think is a valid consideration.

The final decision has to be made as part of the rest of the roster decisions though because of the high cap hit- do we rescind James 5th yesr option? Who else is purged from the roster Timmons, Thomas etc and are we content with doing little to nothing in FA?

In the end I think he probably walks, which is a shame because they should have moved him at the trade deadline in hindsight.

It is somewhat out of the question here, because 1. He would have to sign his franchise tender for them to trade him and if it's not a team he wants to play for, no team will execute that trade without him agreeing to a long term deal with them; 2. He's not good enough to merit a gigantic contract and giving up draft pick comp.

The honest answer is signing Cutler costs us Landry. The franchise tag is simply not a realistic option.

I don't think that's true. They have plenty of money available if the right players are there to be paid. He's not one of those players. If they need to free up money for a worthy player at top $, they could easily accomplish that through contract restructures. The cuts they will make alone (i.e. Timmons, Thomas, probably Pouncey) would be enough. This is not about available cap money as much as it is about him simply asking for way too much for what his value is.

I don't think that's true. They have plenty of money available if the right players are there to be paid. He's not one of those players. If they need to free up money for a worthy player at top $, they could easily accomplish that through contract restructures. The cuts they will make alone (i.e. Timmons, Thomas, probably Pouncey) would be enough. This is not about available cap money as much as it is about him simply asking for way too much for what his value is.
I didn't mean it as much cap wise as I did production wise. I just thought Tannehill was going to have a huge year and thought Landry would be the beneficiary. Losing Ryan costs Jarvis and the other receivers a lot of production last year.

Back
Top Bottom