Free Agency Quandary (Wilkins/Hunt/Williams) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency Quandary (Wilkins/Hunt/Williams)

MercMan

Needs more cowbell
Club Member
Reaction score

With our cap issues it's going to be a challenge. Out if the 3 I think Wilkins would be the most difficult to replace but our Oline would regress again without Hunt and/or Williams. Grier is going to have to pull a rabbit out of somewhere.

I dont think any of them are coming back, thats how messed up our salary cap is.

Trading down from pick number 21 will be very important and then we have to hit on our draft picks.

If we trade down towards the end of the first round we could replace Williams with the Oregon Center Powers-Johnson or replace Wilkins with the Texas DT Byron Murphy.

Then in round 2 I like Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper or Georgia Center Sedrick Van Pran if we don't address Center in round 1 or Georgia S Javon Bullard.

If we can trade down and acquire a 3rd round pick we can go in any number of directions, Kansas State TE Ben Sinnott, Wake Forest DB Calean Carson, or Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat if we havent replaced Wilkins yet,

With X being a post June 1 cut, since thats when we will get the most cap relief, I think thats when we can be active in Free Agency and we will address a number of needs then with players who wont command big contracts.

I see almost 0 percent chance Wilkins is back. Maybe we risk it and try to tag and trade but can’t see long term contract.

I give it 50% chance Williams is back. I think he was super valueable to our offense as a Center however where does the rest of the league view him as. He was the best ranked C in the league with blocking but had snapping issues. Is another team as crazy as us to sacrifice snapping for blocking efficiency? Do some teams view him as top 20 guard money compared to us offering top 5 center money? He also wanted an extension in preseason, I’m sure they offered something, he turned it down then had a major injury, how does that affect his price? Think he’s hard to predict. Is say you try everything to get him to sign as he was the key piece last year and we handled injuries at every other position but once he went out our line was toast.

Hunt- think 75% chance they sign him. Think they can get him for 10-12 million a year and don’t think they can risk having to fill both potential guard spots and C spots with questions about LT. Too much of a gamble. We tried the whole scheme around a bad oline thing, now it’s time to fix it.

I’d hope to see Lamm and Wynn signed as well with Wynn being the starter at LG again and Lamm filling in the 50% of games armstead misses.

Give me two of three out of Wynn/Williams/hunt and I’ll be happy.

I see almost 0 percent chance Wilkins is back. Maybe we risk it and try to tag and trade but can’t see long term contract.

I give it 50% chance Williams is back. I think he was super valueable to our offense as a Center however where does the rest of the league view him as. He was the best ranked C in the league with blocking but had snapping issues. Is another team as crazy as us to sacrifice snapping for blocking efficiency? Do some teams view him as top 20 guard money compared to us offering top 5 center money? He also wanted an extension in preseason, I’m sure they offered something, he turned it down then had a major injury, how does that affect his price? Think he’s hard to predict. Is say you try everything to get him to sign as he was the key piece last year and we handled injuries at every other position but once he went out our line was toast.

Hunt- think 75% chance they sign him. Think they can get him for 10-12 million a year and don’t think they can risk having to fill both potential guard spots and C spots with questions about LT. Too much of a gamble. We tried the whole scheme around a bad oline thing, now it’s time to fix it.

I’d hope to see Lamm and Wynn signed as well with Wynn being the starter at LG again and Lamm filling in the 50% of games armstead misses.

Wilkins is who I would like us to re-sign the most but he is probably the least likely to be re-signed since he would be by far the most expensive.

The only issue with re-signing Williams is that he is coming off the ACL injury so late in the season. That wories me about his availability and if he will ever be the same.

Hunt plays a position OG that is not highly valued. I just dont see him as a difference maker. I don't think he was really missed when he didnt play during the time he was injured and when he returned against the Bills and Chiefs, how much of an impact did he make in those games? I think he can be replaced with a FA at a much lower cost and Eichenberg moves over to LG if we can replace Williams at Center.

I would cut and replace all the current DBs and LBs except Ramsey and use some of that money to sign and keep Wilkins.

Use the remainder of that money to pay for new guys from draft. Second and third round guys. With new DC coming onboard, I don’t think that person will want anyone on current roster except Ramsey.

I think losing hunt would really hurt, just another huge hole on the line that’s already struggling

Williams can go. I honestly didn't expect him back. It's not necessarily that he's not good it's just I see him wanting more than Grier is willing to invest in the position.

Wilkins is up in the air.

Hunt is a must. You cant cry for oline guys, find one finally in the draft, is tough and team oriented...and let him walk.

I dont think any of them are coming back, thats how messed up our salary cap is.

Trading down from pick number 21 will be very important and then we have to hit on our draft picks.

If we trade down towards the end of the first round we could replace Williams with the Oregon Center Powers-Johnson or replace Wilkins with the Texas DT Byron Murphy.

Then in round 2 I like Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper or Georgia Center Sedrick Van Pran if we don't address Center in round 1 or Georgia S Javon Bullard.

If we can trade down and acquire a 3rd round pick we can go in any number of directions, Kansas State TE Ben Sinnott, Wake Forest DB Calean Carson, or Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat if we havent replaced Wilkins yet,

With X being a post June 1 cut, since thats when we will get the most cap relief, I think thats when we can be active in Free Agency and we will address a number of needs then with players who wont command big contracts.
Very solid thinking.

I believe we will re-sign AVG. I think we lose Wilkins, Williams.

In the draft I hope we trade down to the bottom of the first or top of the second, acquiring additional picks. Then we go OT/Center/DT.
OT - Guyton - Oklahoma, Morgan -AZ, Suamatais - BYU
Center -Powers-Johnson- Oregon, Van Pran- Georgia, Bortolini - Wisconsin
DT - Sweat would be a solid potential replacement for Wilkins. If we cant get him the other 2 options I like are: Orhorhoro -Clemson and Jackson- Tex A&M (massive run stuffer 325 pounds)

This draft is going to be vital.

Wilkins is who I would like us to re-sign the most but he is probably the least likely to be re-signed since he would be by far the most expensive.

The only issue with re-signing Williams is that he is coming off the ACL injury so late in the season. That wories me about his availability and if he will ever be the same.

Hunt plays a position OG that is not highly valued. I just dont see him as a difference maker. I don't think he was really missed when he didnt play during the time he was injured and when he returned against the Bills and Chiefs, how much of an impact did he make in those games? I think he can be replaced with a FA at a much lower cost and Eichenberg moves over to LG if we can replace Williams at Center.

I’m sorry I won’t make it through another season having to watch Eichenbeeg he’s awful. Any oline is very sought after. There’s maybe 15-20 guys at any oline position that are actually playable after that it’s a crap shoot and Hunts one of those guys.

As for Williams, he’ll be fine. ACL is 6-9 month recovery time. Puts him ready by Sept at the latest should be good to go week 1. He’s 26 and great can play C and guard think you take advantage of the injury and lock him up next 3-4 years.

Dang - you guys just gave me a punch to the berries. I was hoping someone would cheer me up with some kind of cap magic. Any magicologists around? Could use some hope since I have little confidence in our ability to pick up more than 1 or 2 starters at most in the draft. Add that to our cap issues and we'll be filling the roster with more Eichenbergs.

Watch they will find a way to keep all our top free agents

How ? I have no idea but if there is a will there is a way

Cue the bean counters

math-numbers.gif

AVG, Lamm, and Wynn are the biggest resign priority to me cause those guys *i think* will be inexpensive (AVG will be inexpensive relative to his value).

Would love to keep Hunt or Williams next… whoever is cheaper.

It’d be cool if Armstead retired although someone said that doesn’t help our cap? I like Lamm as our starting LT at his salary vs Armstead at his.

Replace Williams with JPJ at center. If they do re-sign Williams, I would rather move him back to Guard as the snapping issues are way too much of a liability. Need to re-sign Hunt. Wilkins is very likely gone and I wouldn't want to sign a DT for $23+ million anyways.

Watch they will find a way to keep all our top free agents

How ? I have no idea but if there is a will there is a way

Cue the bean counters

math-numbers.gif

I don't doubt it.

The funny thing about it all is guys on here are wondering how we keep them but when we do will be mad we didn't go out and get...other guys 😂

I'd elaborate more but it's late and I'm trying to eat a late dinner consisting of a plate of spaghetti and spinach while typing with one finger on this tablet hoping it doesn't fall off the couch corner 😂

Back
Top Bottom