Free Agent Summary So Far | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agent Summary So Far

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Since the threads are a bit of a mess, I thought I'd take a moment and summerize for the late comers.

According to our new GM we are focusing on OL and Wayne is willing to pay top dollar. So this is how we have done so far:

1. Woody: Cancelled visit and we decided not to match the Detriot offer.

2. Tait: He decided that he likes Chicago better than Miami.

3. James: We signed him likely starter at left guard.

4. Reggie Howard (CB) from Carolina signed to 6 year deal. Rick says it is unconnected to Madison, but the contract was a bit large for a nickle back.

5. Meadows (OL for Indy) was to visit and cancelled according to Big O. He is rumored to have three offers already.

6. Cosey Coleman (OL form Tampa) and McIntosh visit but neither signed yet. Coleman has been uneven at best in Tampa, McIntosh is said to have a nice upside.

5. T.O. - Were not interested in making the trade. Though we would have been interested if he was a free agent.

6. Moss - A rumored trade that involves Sam, Wally and Chambers, but both teams deny it.

7. Signed Atkins, a good special team guy.

We lost:

1. Wade to the Texans.

2. Femi to the Cards.

3. Hendricks to Jax.

So where are we? Hurting on the OL. Missed our top two targets and the pickings are getting thinner everyday.

But, it's too early to call it a miss, but not to early to worry about it.

James is starting at LG not RG.

I had heard that Meadows had cancelled, but I can't recall where I heard that so I'll go with the link and assume that he is going to visit unless someone has something more current.

James may need to play both guard positions if things don't look up :)

I would like to see the Fins sign Claridge and O. Brown to complete the right side. Both players are aggressive, nasty lineman and I think that's what this team has been lacking.

If we somehow get another No. 1 for Wale, I would like to draft Andrews or Carey because Brown is 33 and might only have another year or so.

I just keep hearing too many mixed reviews about Coleman. The Tampa line was awful this year. I'm not saying he was the sole reason, but Tampa fans sound a lot like us in that they were ready to clean house on just about their entire o-line this offseason.
But as I've said before, he's better than our current options.

Originally posted by PhinKev
I had heard that Meadows had cancelled, but I can't recall where I heard that so I'll go with the link and assume that he is going to visit unless someone has something more current.

James may need to play both guard positions if things don't look up :)
he may have if he was going to sign elsewhere anyway. The Sun said he was coming in Sam article, but this thread - http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34366&highlight=Meadows - said he cancelled

Meadows, who has visited Dallas, Carolina and Atlanta and has two offers on the table, is eager enough to finalize a deal that his agent and the Dolphins discussed numbers over the phone.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8120317.htm

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
Coleman and McIntosh.

I know ChambersOwnz agrees with me.

Word.

Big O today live from the facility or w/e said that Brown's plane landed here fine and Meadows canceled his visit.

Originally posted by Fin4life
I just keep hearing too many mixed reviews about Coleman. The Tampa line was awful this year. I'm not saying he was the sole reason, but Tampa fans sound a lot like us in that they were ready to clean house on just about their entire o-line this offseason.
But as I've said before, he's better than our current options.

First, let me qualify this by saying that I'm not a great judge of OL talent. I thought Richmond Webb was a poor pick at the time. Obviously, I was very wrong.

With that said, my wife is a huge Buc fan and hates Coleman with the kind of Todd Perry loathing that we see here. I've watched plenty of Tampa games and he has never seemed to me a dominant run blocker and he has that deer-in-headlights look at times on pass blocking.

So personally, I don't see this as a great move. But, check my first paragraph again.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Word.

Big O today live from the facility or w/e said that Brown's plane landed here fine and Meadows canceled his visit.

See, I knew I was right. :)

wale = ogunleye...correct? (you guys need to stick to 1 nickname :))

also, how does SB work? does it go against the cap or what? SB is like immediate cash or what? couldnt it just be part of the salary...?

if you think these questions are dumb, then ignore them, thanks

Originally posted by Atila
wale = ogunleye...correct? (you guys need to stick to 1 nickname :))

also, how does SB work? does it go against the cap or what? SB is like immediate cash or what? couldnt it just be part of the salary...?

if you think these questions are dumb, then ignore them, thanks

Not dumb.

Basically, the signing bonus is prorated over the length of the contract. So say a 6 million dollar bonus and a 6 year contract means 1 million a year counts agains the cap plus the salary.

Things get interesting when the guy is cut or traded then the remaining amount of the bonus is counted against the cap for that year.

There are some other twists including a cut date that allows you to move some of the bonus cap hit to the next year, but that's the basics.

so if you cut a guy who gets a huge bonus, he gets that money regardless? so if they are traded, the new team doesnt pay it, you still do? just for that 1 year, right?

also, what about players who retire? like a player who you sign a 3 yr deal with, and then they retire, does the rest of the conract become void?

gracias

Back
Top Bottom