Friday PM 7/25 Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Friday PM 7/25 Camp Report

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Oh my God football is finally here!!! The off-season is officially over!!! :jumper:

Honestly I was so excited, my eyes were darting all over the place and I really didn't see that much trying to see everything at once, but here it goes.

It was crowded, even for the first day of camp. Sounds like the crowd was a little smaller then in the am practice, but still nice sized. If it holds 2500 people maybe there was about 2000.

Started with stretching and typical half speed position drills. Nothing too elaborate or intense. Especially under Wanny, the camps start slow. I'm sure it's to prevent half the team from nursing cramps by the 2nd day.

The qb's and receivers were doing short pass drills on the far field and most of the rest of the team was practicing kickoff coverage on the near field.

Next came 5 on 4 passing drills on the near field. Mostly short throws and dump offs to the backs. All 3 qb's looked good and bad. Fiedler seemed to start slow but picked it up by the end of practice, and Griese and Sage were up and down throughout. If I had to put them in order: Griese/Sage/Fiedler. Of course Jay was going vs. the 1st team, Sage vs. the 2nd team and Griese split between the two. I didn't count reps, but I think Griese got the most snaps. Sage got hot in the middle and hit 4-5 in a row.

Then came the Middle Drill (Thank you JJ). Other then 2 nice draws (1 to Konrad & 1 to RW), nothing got done. Everything up the middle was stuffed. RW looked as good as you can without having much success. He had a couple ok runs to the outside, but that is a no, no in the middle drill. He also had a fumble in this drill.

Finally they went to 11 vs 11. Every WR had 1 bad drop right in the hands & nothing too spectacular. On one play, Griese had pressure on him and floated to his left and let lose a nice spiral. The catch was great, but unfortunately it was made by some guy standing about 10' from me on the wrong side of the fence... not good.

The pass rush was very strong all practice. Several plays would have been sacks in a game.

Chambers - worked a lot in the slot and in motion and only WR I didn't see have a drop and had 3-4 nice catches. Looked good.

Seau - Look great but still hard to get used to in aqua... Had a great blitz rush on the qb (I think Fiedler). He did get the ball of just barely over Seau's head for a catch. You can see how his blitzing will make our D that much tougher. He looked much faster then I expected.

I saw Eddie Moore & Sammy Knight but nothing special to report.

Leonard Henry - took all of Minor's snaps and got a lot of action. Looked good, especially on short passes.

#82 Marco Battaglia got a lot of work and made the most of it. Several nice catches and looked good blocking.

Best plays/notes:
1) Fletcher pick off of a Griese pass to the sideline that would have been a sure TD. It was thrown way behind OG but he made no effort to break it up or tackle after the pick.
2) Very pretty 35 yard rainbow down the far sideline from Sage to #8 Chris Jackson.
3) Omare Lowe had 2 nice pass breakups and looked like he was all over the place
4) Zack almost killed Robert Edwards on a poor throw from Griese that left him exposed going high for the ball in the flat.

Play of the Day:
Just when we were wondering if JT was on the field, he must have heard us talking about him. On the snap of the ball he fired off the line way to quick for Greg Jermain to handle. Jermain got his footwork so messed up, JT easily pushed him to the ground and got right to the QB - SACK!

That's all I can remember, sorry it's all over the place... As I calm down a little, hopefully my reports will be more organized. I am so happy football is finally back!

?, in Ozzy's report, he said Jay looked pretty good, was making nice crisp throws, you have his performance as last. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by Dude

Chambers - worked a lot in the slot and in motion and only WR I didn't see have a drop and had 3-4 nice catches. Looked good.

:D

Jay looked better to me near the end of the practice then he did in the begining. The order I put them in had a lot to do with the competition they were going against. I only say Jay get the ball to a WR 1 or 2 times vs. Sam & Pat. His better throws were to the backs and TE's. Griese had more completions to the WR's, but against the 2nd team that is expected.

don't get me wrong, all three looked pretty good for the first day.

Originally posted by Dude
Jay looked better to me near the end of the practice then he did in the begining. The order I put them in had a lot to do with the competition they were going against. I only say Jay get the ball to a WR 1 or 2 times vs. Sam & Pat. His better throws were to the backs and TE's. Griese had more completions to the WR's, but against the 2nd team that is expected.

don't get me wrong, all three looked pretty good for the first day.

Thanks, I appreciate that, you guys are our eyes and ears, we depend on you so much and appreciate what you do.

I just gotta stick up for Griese on one play. The one where he threw it into the crowd. It looked to me like he was rolling out and just threw it away before the defense got to him.

Not trying to be a d*ck or anything (as you can see, I was only able to expand upon ONE point you made....because you did a pretty good job in that first post ;) ). Just giving another point of view. :)

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
?, in Ozzy's report, he said Jay looked pretty good, was making nice crisp throws, you have his performance as last. Am I missing something?

Well, he's right in a way, because the defense beat them up for about 5-6 plays in a row. :D

We all cant see the exact same thing, and us being individually different, one could see that same thing totally different.

We did agree on the end product being good though.

Originally posted by Muck
I just gotta stick up for Griese on one play. The one where he threw it into the crowd. It looked to me like he was rolling out and just threw it away before the defense got to him.

Not trying to be a d*ck or anything (as you can see, I was only able to expand upon ONE point you made....because you did a pretty good job in that first post ;) ). Just giving another point of view. :)

On that play I didn't think it was a designed roll out, I thought he slid to the right to avoid pressure. And with my comment of 'not good' I meant the overall play result, not Griese's decision. It was a nice catch by the fan though. :) He got a good cheer from the crowd too.

I did see a play by Griese earlier that looked like a designed rollout to his left, and I remember thinking he didn't look very smooth running with the ball. Don't remember result of the play though, just he looked akward running with it.

BTW: To me, disagreeing respectfully is not being a d*ck at all. It's not like I'm a coach or anything, and besides, these boards wouldn't be too fun if everyone only agreed. ;)

Originally posted by Ozzy

Well, he's right in a way, because the defense beat them up for about 5-6 plays in a row. :D

We all cant see the exact same thing, and us being individually different, one could see that same thing totally different.

We did agree on the end product being good though.

I also only comment on what I see. So if I'm bs'ing with a friend or getting a drink and miss a few plays, of course I ask what I missed when I get back, but I don't comment on it b/c I didn't see it.

Maybe Jay did his best work while I was in the John. :D

You are correct. It wasn't a designed rollout. He was forced out of the pocket on that play.

I wasn't there of course but we should keep on mind that our offence is going up against one of the best defences in the whole NFL and for the most part the defence is ahead of the offence early on. On the other hand, going up agaisnt those guys should help our offence get better as they wont have to compete with that defence on game day.

Ozzy rules!!

Thanks Dude!! .....I wanna know how OG did throughout the whole practice???

He had one bad drop right in his hands, and 2-3 other 'easy' catches that were nothing special. Overall he didn't look too smooth out there. He better pick it up if he hopes to even make the team. No free rides this year.

Ozzy said he was fat, I didn't notice that, but it makes sense with what I saw of his play.

I'll try to keep a closer eye on him today.

Back
Top Bottom