FSU 2009 Draft Class | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FSU 2009 Draft Class

spydertl79

Active Roster
Reaction score
Since I've watched pretty much every play of these guy's careers I figured I would offer some insight into the players coming out of FSU this year.

Everette Brown- DE/OLB
Projected: Top 15, 2nd DE taken
My rating: B+

Everette is FAST and was able to easily manhandle pretty much everyone that he faced his senior and junior years. He cooled off near the end of the year however, the only explanation would be either fatigue or an unreported injury. I would be wary to take him before #20 because of this.

However, he is able to drop back into coverage and could fit very well into a Patriot's style defensive scheme. FSU used him purely as a defensive end and he was phenomenal for most of the season. He could pan out though because his quickness off the ball (and offside penalties) reminds me very much of Jason Taylor. He ended the season with 13 1/2 sacks- 3rd in the nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyX5mfb-eaA

Graham Gano, K/P
Projected: 2nd-4th, 1st kicker taken
My Rating: A

Last season Graham Gano gave the most dominating performance of any special teams player that I have ever seen. He was the most accurate kicker in college football last year, making 18 straight at one point and winning the Groza award. Gano converted EVERY attempt inside 49 yards and went 5/7 from 50+. As for power- he had 39 kickoffs go for touchbacks and averaged 42.1 yards per punt. In our bowl game he actually placed 3 consecutive punts out of bounds inside the opponent's two yard line and won MVP. As if there aren't already enough reasons to love this guy- he is also AMAZING at drawing phantom "roughing the kicker" penalties. There were at least four times last year where he kept FSU drives going by pretending to get hit on a punt when he really wasn't.

I would grab this guy in the second round and let him compete for the kicking duties.

Antone Smith, RB
Projected: 2nd day
My rating: D

Antone Smith is a perfect physical specimen- blazing speed, huge numbers in the weight room, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't transfer onto the field. Smith's lack of vision prevents him from making the right cuts and he often gets tackled after running into the back of his own blocker. Stay away from this guy.

He did run in the 4.3's at his pro day and pushed out 31 reps at 225 this year.

Greg Carr, WR
Projected: 2nd day, 5th-10th WR taken
My rating: C+

He's 6'6 and plays like he's even taller than that. He's a big play guy who can haul in 10 TDs in the NFL but probably won't eclipse 80 catches. His route running and speed are less than impressive. I don't think that the 4th round would be a reach for someone with as much talent as he has however. Carr's strengths aside from his height and jumping ability are that he has great hands and is very good at positioning his body to make the catch. I think he's slightly underrated on most people's draft boards as this is a very weak year for WR.

One of the best catches I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6fa57mMbFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkecJ_jFDxU

Tony Carter and Michael Ray Garvin both had their pro days and ran amazing 40 times (Garvin with a 4.24) but they are bad corners.

Back
Top Bottom