Future 1st rounder for Edge/Alexander? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Future 1st rounder for Edge/Alexander?

Pigskin Pimp

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Skimming through the Insider articles I found this:

The Dolphins met with Smith on Wednesday, and the meeting is said to have gone well. It's certainly not out of the question for the Dolphins to use their second overall pick on Smith (assuming Rodgers goes first to the 49ers). Nick Saban knows he has options.

Saban is exploring the possibility of trading a first-round pick in 2006 to Indianapolis for Edgerrin James or to Seattle for Shaun Alexander. If he can put together a favorable deal with one of those two teams, drafting Smith with the second pick would make a lot more sense.

The other reason for bringing Smith in on Wednesday is to create a smoke screen. By meeting with Smith and spreading rumors that the Dolphins could take him at No. 2, Saban could be increasing his odds of striking a deal to trade down.

There have been some rumors that the Buccaneers are one of the teams looking to move up, but we're not buying it. Coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen have done their due diligence in case one of the top two quarterbacks falls to them at No. 5.

However, we're hearing they didn't fall in love with either Smith or Rodgers – at least not enough to mortgage the rest of their draft. From what we hear, the Buccaneers are much more likely to draft Mike Williams or Carnell Williams with the fifth pick.

Interesting Read, no?

I would rather draft a RB and I think most fans feel this way.Plus they both command huge salaries and that is why they have not been moved already.....

I'm tired of trading away 1st rounders away for RB's. If a move such as this were to occurr it would signal to me that Saban is not rebuilding and that he is trying to win now.
I wouldn't mind a second rounder next year for either of those two.

jlfin said:
I'm tired of trading away 1st rounders away for RB's. If a move such as this were to occurr it would signal to me that Saban is not rebuilding and that he is trying to win now.
I wouldn't mind a second rounder next year for either of those two.

The RB market is saturated right now.I think we are in an excellent position right now.We could always wait out the draft and if we don't acquire a RB via the draft next week we could always trade a 2006 2nd rounder after the draft for a RB right???

I really want to push for this Tampa Bay deal. It's such a great opportunity for us -- but Gruden knows that his draft will be exclusively Smith/Rodgers in that situation so I doubt he'd give us much more than a 3rd and a conditional pick next year.

I don't want James or Alexander. We can draft Ronnie and have a solid running game -- even if Ronnie can't carry the ground-game by himself we have Travis and Lamar. That pick could be valuable next season. I wouldn't like that.

Back
Top Bottom