Gailey in would mean McMichael out. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gailey in would mean McMichael out.

i think gailey was here when mcmike was a rookie and he did pretty well in his offense

Not True. Gailey was here durning Chamber's rookie year, which was an excellent year. This was due to his emphasis on WRs. The next year, McMichael was drafted and Turner came in who utilized the TE's more and was also somewhat responsible for Chambers sophomore slump.

i think gailey was here when mcmike was a rookie and he did pretty well in his offense

McMike came in the year after Gailey left, I'm pretty sure. Chan was here when Chambers had his 883 yard, 7 TD rookie season (and that was with Fiedler throwing to him), so we at least know he knows how to utilize CC. People have been knocking Chan for having a boring offense...but if you look at the half-way decent production he got out of guys like Fiedler, Lamar Smith, Hunter Goodwin and Spencer Folau...imagine what he could get out of Culpepper, Brown, Chambers, McMike and Booker (along with a Houck-coached OL).

Did Weaver start? No. Jed Weaver was street FA who had one big game in the playoffs because the Colts decided to just not cover him. Look at his entire stint with the Phins. Didn't start, was cut FA, and was let go after 2 years. I hardly think Jed Weaver was a receiving powerhouse.

We didnt use a recieving tight end because we didnt have a quality recieving tight end, not because Gailey doesnt like them. Weaver was a journeyman, but he was pretty clearly not a blocker.

We didnt use a recieving tight end because we didnt have a quality recieving tight end, not because Gailey doesnt like them. Weaver was a journeyman, but he was pretty clearly not a blocker.

Goodwin was a quality starting TE. He just wasn't a receiver. This is what the Dolphins wanted under Gailey. A blocking TE. The Dolphins went out and signed Goodwin who was a respected blocker, who then went on to start for the Vikings. I dont know how else I can spell this out. Goodwin was a blocker and thats what the offense wanted.

Just a quick follow-up on this post.
This was in the Herald today

"Gailey, a former Dolphins offensive coordinator -- considered well-prepared and a strong game-planner -- was perceived by some as being too rigid offensively and not willing to adapt his system to the players during his two years as head coach with Dallas (1998-1999), one current and one former Cowboys official indicated Tuesday."

There you have it. Now cope.

Gailey's offense utilizes the TE like another tackle. It helps the power running game and utilized the WR's more. Both of which are elements of Chans offense. McMichael was signed to a big contract last year and the fact that he isn't a great blocker might mean the end of him in this offense. As you recall, Hunter Goodwin was Gailey's TE when he was here. Goodwin was a big blocking TE that probably only got his hands on the ball in on a fumble recovery.

That isn't right. In today's NFL, use of the tight end in the passing game is a must. Especially if you have a talented pass-catcher, you've got to use him to keep the middle of the defense honest. Gailey will adjust to his personell, I'm sure he knows how to involve a tight end in the passing game.

That isn't right. In today's NFL, use of the tight end in the passing game is a must. Especially if you have a talented pass-catcher, you've got to use him to keep the middle of the defense honest. Gailey will adjust to his personell, I'm sure he knows how to involve a tight end in the passing game.

No he doesn't. Read above.

Back
Top Bottom