Gardener Quickly Draws Interest (merged) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Quickly Draws Interest (merged)

Well I'm hoping for one of the young guys to start at End...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck
Similar to what Jimmy did for him when he drafted this "extremely talented but un-motivated player out of Baylor". Jimmy lit a fire under his ass and made him a stud.

BUT that was before all these back problems came a calling. Sure, it's possible to get him motivated again. But this back thing just keeps getting worse and worse. Each year it gets to him earlier. IMO, he'll never play a full season again. And that's why it would be in his best interest to go to a team that would employ a rotation at DT. A team that already has two established DTs.

Or a team that really needs help at DT.

Originally posted by Muck
Nope. All that stuff falls in a two-year window. You either pay what you owe all at once or over a 2-year period.

You are damn close Muck. We actully pay him nothing this year, and he doesn't count against our cap at all. Since it was after june 1st we eat his signing bonus next year, and not this season. This is where the restrucureing every year bites you in the butt, and this will be the first of many Miami has to eat. This was such a stupid move by so many aspects of the cap, and keeping the team competive in their 2 year window. We obviously geared up this season to try to win it all either this season or next. After next season Zach, Jay, Sam, Pat, DG, and Bowens would be making way to much money to keep more than 2 of them. The problem is now DG will count 6 mill next year, witch is almost double of what his salary would have been to play next season, but now he counts 6 and we have to replace him. That starts the trickle down affect, 1 or a few players will losr their jobs with Miami since they just spent 3 mill that wasn't accounted for. Then we have a few postions in stead of just 1 that have no depth. This is also stupid, because they waited so long after june 1st. Just last week there were still some very good players available, we could have added 1 or 2 stars. I am weary because I thought if we didn't win it this year we would have one more season to make a serious bid at the SB, but this now seems like our only chance, since we have current salaries balloon next year, and 6 mill spent on a player that won't play.

Originally posted by Dajesus

You are damn close Muck. We actully pay him nothing this year, and he doesn't count against our cap at all. Since it was after june 1st we eat his signing bonus next year, and not this season. This is where the restrucureing every year bites you in the butt, and this will be the first of many Miami has to eat. This was such a stupid move by so many aspects of the cap, and keeping the team competive in their 2 year window. We obviously geared up this season to try to win it all either this season or next. After next season Zach, Jay, Sam, Pat, DG, and Bowens would be making way to much money to keep more than 2 of them. The problem is now DG will count 6 mill next year, witch is almost double of what his salary would have been to play next season, but now he counts 6 and we have to replace him. That starts the trickle down affect, 1 or a few players will losr their jobs with Miami since they just spent 3 mill that wasn't accounted for. Then we have a few postions in stead of just 1 that have no depth. This is also stupid, because they waited so long after june 1st. Just last week there were still some very good players available, we could have added 1 or 2 stars. I am weary because I thought if we didn't win it this year we would have one more season to make a serious bid at the SB, but this now seems like our only chance, since we have current salaries balloon next year, and 6 mill spent on a player that won't play.

If we would have kept him, he might have ruined the team's chemistry.

Sorry Dajesus, but you're incorrect. The Dolphins accelerated a portion of DG's signing bonus against this year's salary cap. The remaining undepreciated portion of Gardener's signing bonus was not just $6 million. The accelerated some this year, the rest next year.

And even the $6 million of dead weight in 2003 is less than the dead weight if we kept Daryl on the roster this year and released him next year after the 2002 season. And it is even further less than the total salary cap figure that Daryl would have counted should we have kept him in 2002 and in 2003.

Its a half empty half full situation. You view the deadweight money and say that cutting Daryl now "costs" us $6 million next year. I on the other view the alternatives and realize that in actuality it has "saved" us anywhere from $1 to $3 million on next year's salary cap, in addition to the money we have "saved" on this year's salary cap.

How did it save us 1-3 mill next year? Your telling me that his number was 9 mill next season? I am 90% sure that after he restructured a month or so ago his cap number for next year was to be around 3.75 mill next year.

PS if he stayed with the team this season, and didn't earn his keep we could then have held his rights till june 1st so we would have counted very litte against our cap next year, as many teams did this season with high priced players. What ever the hit would have been after next season doesn't really matter since we will have to dump some serious cap room anyway much like the Ravens had to. Unless god forbid Miami has a bad year this season expect the axe to fall next off season.

Hate To Say I Told You So....

Not many fans over here took this serious a couple of days ago....Are you serious now???

I thought this could happen, and now it finally has....

I'm disappointed because obviously D. Gardener may have brought this onto himself more than anything....

There are all kinds of words flying around about the main cause of this, whether it be his inabillity to finshing a fulll season, to his rumored attitude problems towards the team as a whole, or just his CRONIC BACK PROBLEMS...

He was a huge man. He was an excellent DT when healythy, but at the same time he carried too much of a risk. Where he'll land up now is anybodies guess....

J. Williams is an additon who can serve the loss of K. Mixon well. I'm not sure if he'll be anything special, but he's a verteran player with experience who could rotate our strength at DE pretty well....

In reality, we had no idea what kind of season DG would have been able to produce at DE. It was a "nice wet dream" thinking about what could have possibly come out of it all if he exelled at the position, but at the same time, in all likelyhood he could have been a major loss if injured again.....A risk we could not afford.

It's a serious statement about the direction Dave and Rick want to go with this team. I trust them, they know what's best for the team, and I can't really question a couple of guys who have built very solidly through the draft thus far in Miami.....

Let's see what happens in camp, and go from there....

I'm not sure if we could add anybody else worth mentioning. If we could afford S. Adams now, that wouldn't hurt.....But at DT I think their satisfied with what we have.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats impossible considering his base salary for 2003 was set to be $5.7 million. Go ahead and check the NFLPA website they list Daryl's base salary in every year he's been in the league and include every year he's under contract for.

This year his base salary was $2.65 million or something after the restructuring job, however with various bonuses and incentives his cap figure for the year was around $6 million or so. His base salary for next year was set to be $5.7 million and I'm not even sure what bonuses/incentives might have been slated to go into effect in that year but if you just count the base salary and prorated signing bonus alone his cap figure for 2003 was set to be $7 million at least. Considering the amount of added cap figure the bonuses made this year its not unreasonable to think his 2003 cap figure could have been $8 million or $9 million.

You really have to remember that when we signed the guy before the 2000 season he had all the makings of a young pro bowl DT who could only get better and who as of yet had played pretty much like every game since joining the Phins. And 2003 would have been like the 4th year under that 8 year contract. It was as soon as we signed him that we started hearing disturbing quotes from him saying all he wants for christmas is a new back...

PPS yes it does matter what the 2004 cap hit would be for the action you propose because perhaps with NO DEADWEIGHT resulting from Daryl's contract in 2004 we might not need such draconian measures as the Ravens did. Of the star players like Bowens, Thomas, Madison, and Surtain, I predict that only 1 of them will have to go that we will be sorry to let go, as a result of what we've done today. If we did what you say, then perhaps ALL of them might have had to go.

Anyone Still Think Wanny Is Afraid Of DG? Lol

LOL

Yeah, He's real scared of DG!

By the way I am predicting that we will not be very sad to see Tim Bowens go, so basically of the 4 that I mentioned I'm predicting that two will be gone...Bowens and probably Madison cuz he's older than Surtain and the most expensive. Rodgers may be cut as well but once again I predict we will not be sad to see him go.

I hate to say I told you so but...

Larry Webster is a Jet. Larry Chester is a DT for the Dolphins and his signing has nothing to do with Kenny Mixon.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I hate to say I told you so but...

Larry Webster is a Jet. Larry Chester is a DT for the Dolphins and his signing has nothing to do with Kenny Mixon.
==============================================

BLITZ RESPONSE : Sorry for the screw up. I've been traveling all day.....JET LAG!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I'm pretty sure I know what would have happened with Daryl for the season.

We would have played him at LDE on run downs, he would be awesome at the point of attack, weak in space, and would not generate a passrush on the few occasions where he rushes the passer from LDE. Seeing his talents wasted, we would have switched him inside to DT on pass downs more often, until finally his back would need surgery again and he'd be out for the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom