Gase first order of business: Tannehill to game manager | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase first order of business: Tannehill to game manager

Eesti

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
This is a "fantasy" based article from Rotoworld but it does talk about multiple players. I don't necessarily agree with the assessment regarding Tannehill but I also don't have a problem with being a game manager. I think Tannehill did way more than that last year as he was making big plays when it counted. I believe he directed three, 4th quarter comebacks and almost had a fourth in week 1, if the defense would have held up.

His basis for the label was the decreased pass attempts per game but I think a lot of this was due to the offense as a whole and the fact they were learning a new system and were 32nd in the league in offensive snaps. I also think balance is never a bad thing between the passing and running game.

Anyway, you should get a kick out of this....

New coach Adam Gase’s first order of business in Miami was to turn Ryan Tannehill into a game manager.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/73136/59/dolphins-fantasy-preview

In all fairness, he does believe Miami will win 9 games.

Make no mistake, the reason many of these sites predicting 7-8 wins is because they don't believe in RT.
If you put a Brady or Rodgers. Heck, even a Carr or Marriota I think the predictions would be for 10-13 wins with this roster.
Keeping my fingers crossed, but really hoping RT makes them eat their words.

This is a "fantasy" based article from Rotoworld but it does talk about multiple players. I don't necessarily agree with the assessment regarding Tannehill but I also don't have a problem with being a game manager. I think Tannehill did way more than that last year as he was making big plays when it counted. I believe he directed three, 4th quarter comebacks and almost had a fourth in week 1, if the defense would have held up.

His basis for the label was the decreased pass attempts per game but I think a lot of this was due to the offense as a whole and the fact they were learning a new system and were 32nd in the league in offensive snaps. I also think balance is never a bad thing between the passing and running game.

Anyway, you should get a kick out of this..

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/73136/59/dolphins-fantasy-preview

In all fairness, he does believe Miami will win 9 games.

One of those strange paradoxes.Tannehill passes a lot = poor run game. Fans were BEGGING for more balance. Now Tannehill passes less = "manager." From game 6 til his injury, I was impressed with his performance. If Miami gets THAT guy this fall, and if the run O and D improve, I can get quite excited.

Make no mistake, the reason many of these sites predicting 7-8 wins is because they don't believe in RT.
If you put a Brady or Rodgers. Heck, even a Carr or Marriota I think the predictions would be for 10-13 wins with this roster.

Maybe. Or maybe it has something to do with not seriously upgrading the middle of a weak oline or all the yards and points the defense gave up in key situations while viewing our top three draft picks as projects that my not make serious contributions this year? Or maybe it has to do with one of the most difficult schedules in the league?

Most of us know you're not the biggest fan of Tannehill but even you must admit he's hardly the only (and certainly not the biggest) question mark on this team.

Tannehill's success is contingent upon the O-Line's ability to execute, especially in the interior. I expect to see a lot of A gap blitzes this year.

granted the guy is a fantasy football writer so he approaches his opinion differently than a sports reporter would, but everything we have heard from the offensive staff this year is they want Tannehill to be more aggressive and take more chances.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nts-a-more-aggressive-ryan-tannehill-in-2017/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...er-adam-gase-is-excited-about-ryan-tannehill/

his attempts were down last year because of the emergence of Jay Ajayi like mentioned, but also because it was his first year in a new system. he has tons of weapons at his disposal. the only real question marks are his knee (team says its fine) and the OL. Tannehill is primed for a national media coming out party this year in my opinion.

I think vegas isn't impressed with Ajayi, either

Interesting...Tannehill is also credited with three game winning drives although one of those game winning drives was actually an interception return for a touchdown by Alonso.

Interesting...Tannehill is also credited with three game winning drives although one of those game winning drives was actually an interception return for a touchdown by Alonso.
The game was tied at that point (before the INT) I think tannehill gets some credit

I believe he directed three, 4th quarter comebacks and almost had a fourth in week 1, if the defense would have held up.

Don't forget week 2 as well (or whenever NE game was), catchable ball to devante killed that amazing comeback

Darn tootin'

Uninformed. He glossed over the season stats without understanding the progression. Typical. Tannehill's first 5 games were bad. As he and the team learned the offense, there were a lot of mistakes made in route running, protection, inability to run the ball and without a doubt, QB performance. But, after that initial learning curve, the offense changed.

Starting with game 6 up until he got injured, Tannehill was playing at a blistering pace. His TD/INT ratio was phenomenal (13 TD's to only 5 INT's with 3 of those 5 coming in the Baltimore game). He hit a lot of deep balls. His accuracy was very good. If he plays a full season at that level he will be in the Pro Bowl and will clearly establish himself as an elite QB.

Even then he wasn't the finished article though. Our OL needs to consistently create a push in the run game. When given running lanes, Ajayi is devastating. This opens up play-action, one of Tannehill's strengths. It also gives him time to throw deep more often, loosening up run defenses. That's when our offense will really take off. But, our production averages were good. It was individual drives stalling that was the problem. We converted extremely well in the red zone, but all too often we stalled outside of the red zone. We need to create more third and short situations and we need to convert more third downs. Those things are directly related to the OL opening run lanes for Ajayi. If we do that, then everyone gets more touches. Our biggest problem last year wasn't efficiency, it was not enough snaps. Keeping drives alive will provide those missing snaps, and both the run and pass totals will go up ... and the TD's too.

Last edited:
Yeah I read this article the other day... was going to post it but meh... Its easier to manage the game when everything isn't a shitshow on the field

Maybe. Or maybe it has something to do with not seriously upgrading the middle of a weak oline or all the yards and points the defense gave up in key situations while viewing our top three draft picks as projects that my not make serious contributions this year? Or maybe it has to do with one of the most difficult schedules in the league?

Most of us know you're not the biggest fan of Tannehill but even you must admit he's hardly the only (and certainly not the biggest) question mark on this team.
That can be said for every team in the league. The gloss of a franchise QB alters perception.
With respect to my opinion of RT. I've gone back and forth on him. Is he a tease or the real deal. I certainly hope it's the latter.
But, in reading many preseason predictions, it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of respect for RT. When you read quotes from other AFC East writers (Bills, Pats, Jets) it's clear they think he's just a middle of the road guy.

Back
Top Bottom