Gauging AJ - Is the Eagles system comparable to ours? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gauging AJ - Is the Eagles system comparable to ours?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I want this AJ thing to work. A big question that no one has asked yet is how does the Eagles offensive system compare to ours? Do we even have an offensive system yet? What style of system does Collier favor? Who is our QB coach and what kind of experience does he have?

Our system last year. NO. But maybe with norv gone we will be running something new. We played power football that is very predictable. The eagles have a bit of a west coast flair with some short passing and WR screens and alot of timing routes.

Our QB coach is Trestman is he is GREAT with QBs

Edit: I think we will play a west coast style offence because Trestman was the Raiders OC and they used WC there.

Who cares what Wanny thinks, hes not calling the plays! j/k

Many of the concepts overlap. It's not as big of a deal--mainly a terminology thing.

I don't think we're a great fit for a WCO anyway, not the way the team is presently constituted. The WCO, as I understand it, relies on a few things...
1. pass catching running back: Ricky is improving, but will never be better than a mediocre pass-catcher. Roger Craig was one of the greatest pass-catching backs of all time, and a big reason for San Fran having such success with the WCO.
2. pass-catching tight end: okay, we're good here. :)
3. QB who can make snap decisions: of the many sins Fiedler committed, I don't think too many fans would argue that holding the ball too long was among them. This, BTW, is why Rob Johnson was a disaster as a WCO quarterback, and why Buffalo dumped that offense so quickly. Not sure about Feeley's ability here.
4. QB who can make hyper-accurate throws under 15 yards: Fiedler obviously does NOT fit this description. I can say without hyperbole that I've never seen a QB throw worse square outs than Jay Fiedler. The scouting report on Feeley is that he is a huge step up in this regard.
5. receivers that run good crossing routes: Once upon a time, Oronde Gadsden would have fit this description, but not anymore. Crossing routes have never been a Chris Chambers longsuit. If we want to run a WCO, drafting Michael Clayton in round 1 is a MUST. I've no desire to revive the Evans/Woods/Clayton/Reggie Williams debate in this thread, but Clayton is a big receiver with good hands who runs very crisp, disciplined routes, and is thus ideal for a WCO.

Originally posted by HugeFinFan

To hell with wanny!:fire:

Anarchy? Mutiny? Not a bad idea.....Then again.....NO!

Norv's system is a deribitive of the WCO, instead of short routes, Norv prefer the traditional stretch the field type. but the running game is similar, we just used it a lot more than a true WCO. Collier said he would keep the same type of system as Norv with some tweets, I'm sure this is based on what he personnel does best. With Feely, a new interior line and added WR, this may change what we've seem drastically in recent years. Then again if the line can run block, maybe it won't. But if Feely can throw and does beat out Jay for the QB position, then maybe we see what a passing game can look like. It's been a few years, let me see if I can remember. LOL

Originally posted by phunwin
I don't think we're a great fit for a WCO anyway, not the way the team is presently constituted. The WCO, as I understand it, relies on a few things...
1. pass catching running back: Ricky is improving, but will never be better than a mediocre pass-catcher. Roger Craig was one of the greatest pass-catching backs of all time, and a big reason for San Fran having such success with the WCO.
2. pass-catching tight end: okay, we're good here. :)
3. QB who can make snap decisions: of the many sins Fiedler committed, I don't think too many fans would argue that holding the ball too long was among them. This, BTW, is why Rob Johnson was a disaster as a WCO quarterback, and why Buffalo dumped that offense so quickly. Not sure about Feeley's ability here.
4. QB who can make hyper-accurate throws under 15 yards: Fiedler obviously does NOT fit this description. I can say without hyperbole that I've never seen a QB throw worse square outs than Jay Fiedler. The scouting report on Feeley is that he is a huge step up in this regard.
5. receivers that run good crossing routes: Once upon a time, Oronde Gadsden would have fit this description, but not anymore. Crossing routes have never been a Chris Chambers longsuit. If we want to run a WCO, drafting Michael Clayton in round 1 is a MUST. I've no desire to revive the Evans/Woods/Clayton/Reggie Williams debate in this thread, but Clayton is a big receiver with good hands who runs very crisp, disciplined routes, and is thus ideal for a WCO.

Not to get into it, but the more I think of Clayton, the more I think JJ Stokes pt 2. JMO, though. I hope I'm wrong if we get him.

A 4.75 again at his pro day virtually eliminates him as a first round prospect.

Before you bring up Boldin I'm not saying it means he won't be good. It just means he won't be drafted near as high as his production says he should have been especially in this draft.

Back
Top Bottom