George Brett, HOF third baseman... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

George Brett, HOF third baseman...

DOLPHAN1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
...of the Kansas City royals retired in the mid '90. ewing kauffman, owner, died soon after and the team was run by a board of trustees before Mr Glass of wal-mart fame bought the team. before the royals were sold, george brett was hired to a jr. VP position with no FO experience. he was a figure head hire.

GB now has honest-to-goodness responsibilities with the team and works 9-5 mon- fri. he had to be taught the "ropes" and now does a very good job.

the first couple of years, before he really learned his job, he was an ambassador for the team. he was there when FA's visited. he helped with the scouts. he worked with the coaches and had a say on drafts and FA aqisitions. he relied on his playin experience.

every spring he travels with the team to training camp. he dress' in a practice uni and interacts and mingles with all the players and practices.

he is a very sloid exective in his job. he is respected in the baseball community. he is a HOF player. the royals organization, though it is not yet championship caliber, is an up and comer in a small market and GB has had a hand in this.

what does this have to do with the phins?

dan marino has been hired as a figure head to a position that he must also learn as he goes. he will be a sure fire first time HOF inductee with 17 successful years as a player and four years as an analyst. until his job description is defined, what do you think his focus is going to be? who do you think will be at the airport to greet FA's when they come for interviews? who do you think will be in on meetings with rick, wanny and norv? who do you think will be at the mini's and pre-season to interact with the coaches and players?

Dan may not have a clearly defined job description or a lot of FO experience, but i think his plate is gonna be full this first season. only time will tell how this hire goes but i think it was a very good one on a lot of levels.....

What helped the Royals out a lot with that deal is that they hired one heck of a manager that has passion & shows excitement for the game. We seem to be lacking that.

true. but the point is the sittuation is similar. it may take wanny to fall on his @ss for this team to be championship, but marino is gonna be a positive part of the emergance of this team. he's gonna contribute this year.

Originally posted by SMadison29
What helped the Royals out a lot with that deal is that they hired one heck of a manager that has passion & shows excitement for the game. We seem to be lacking that.

Did you notice that today? I saw two calm, collected coaches, who got animated when they felt their team was wronged, but aside from that....they carried themselves stoicly. They didn't run their fingers through their hair with every incomplete pass or missed tackle. But ya...one thing they always did was reinforce trust in their players and show excitement when they did something good.

I think Wanny lets stress get to him too much. I'm not saying I think he should just "chill", but he needs to be stronger and more self-composed.

I am a Royals fan as well. Having very closely followed those two's careers, I would have to say there are a lot of similarities between the two (personality, drive, temperment, etc.). I think it's a very good comparison.

Back
Top Bottom