Get rid of Signatures. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get rid of Signatures.

UltimaKilo

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It takes up unnecessary bandwidth and space in threads. There is also an issue here with redundant threads and stupid threads that never get closed. We should crack-down on this to increase the quality of the posts.

While I appreciate the input, no.

This is a discussion board. So long as the threads fall under the TOS and aren't straight up SPAM, they stay where they are and let nature take it's course. If it's not worth discussing, it will fall out of the first page quickly and not be an issue. If people are responding, it's clear that it's "worth" discussing, and that includes topics that have already been done before. For example, there are several threads on bringing up Pat Devlin, discussing it to death, yet a new one seems to do just fine.

As for signatures, you can turn those off in your general settings. Go to your UserCP, then click on General Settings on the left. Scroll down and under "Thread Display Options" you can choose whether to see signatures, avatars, and/or images. You can adjust a lot of the viewer setting there.

Further, if you wanted it plain-janed up even more, you can change the layout option of the forum by clicking on the scroll bar at the bottom left of this page (the very bottom). I suggest "Mobile" which is super-boring.

first signatures are scaled, those who support the site are allowed larger sigs, and since its a minority of the members who support the site thier larger signatures have a minimal impact on the servers performance. secondly, the rules for whats allowed in each forum should be pretty simple to understand, if it "fits" it stays. if it doesn't it goes, and if a member tries to round peg a square hole too often they get hit with the warning/infraction system. So its all taken care of already, and while you may disagree with the process and the thinking behind the process you could do your part to support the site by becoming VIP and if you see a post/thread that doesn't follow the forum rules, you report it and we'll take care of it. This comes with the understanding that we may or may not disagree with an individual posters evaluation of what should stay and what should go.

Ultimakilo I think what everyone hear is trying to say is that for someone to deem a thread "stupid" is a very subjective opinion. What is stupid or intelligent to you may not be to someone else. The members who make the threads obviously feel that the opinions they have matter. So who is the judge? Who says that your opinion is more or less stupid than another? In the end we are a site by fans and for ALL fans. We are THE place every fan can come and talk about the team the way they see it. The signatures all the expression of individuals to be themselves. All of this together gives us the structure that has allowed us to become, by far, ten times over, the largest Dolphin fan community on the web.
Thank you for expressing yourself and giving us suggestions. It is always appreciated.

-Matt
Owner
FinHeaven.com

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post! I rarely post here, though I visit frequently. I figured that since the forum has been growing, it would be easier on the servers to get rid of the signatures all together. I've seen how forums with tens of thousands of members can become overburdened ala skyscrapercity, NeoGAF, etc.

Matt, what I meant by "stupid" was threads that misrepresent themselves in the title and dive-tails into spam. So it's not opinions which I was referring to, but rather those small number of threads where the OP will dive into what's the best flavored ice-cream in a thread marked "Bowe to Dolphins", or something is claimed to be in the works without a source. This is obviously almost never the case with the regulars.

Back
Top Bottom