Give backups a chance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give backups a chance

outtawack311

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I am a Jay supporter. This lackluster offense we have right now needs a spark. I am not saying replace Jay, but give Griese and Rosenfels a series or 2 each. Its not like they could do any worse than Jay is now. Who knows, one of them might breath a little life into this offense. IF (big if) they do, use em. The worse thing this will do is maybe light a fire under jay, it shows we are willing to replace him to find a decent starter.

I agree and we have absolutely nothing to lose by doing so.

It's obvious as we watch JF regress that he just doesn't have the talent to run Turner's offense and with him we will inevitably come up short once again.

The only thing we risk is draft position for next year.

Originally posted by jetssuckSr
I agree and we have absolutely nothing to lose by doing so.

It's obvious as we watch JF regress that he just doesn't have the talent to run Turner's offense and with him we will inevitably come up short once again.

The only thing we risk is draft position for next year.

Wow, JS.

At 4-1 we start experimenting? Nothing to lose? Before a game against a division rival in which we could open the division up?

Come on now....

If we are 1-4 or 0-5...I agree. But not at 4-1.

The only time I would agree to a switch with a winning record is if we could not move the ball at all and don't score a point (a la Ravens). But then again the Ravens were on a 3 game losing streak at that time.

You do not experience at 4-1.

Wish for 2 losses (Pats and @SD) and then we might begin to experiment.

Think the offense is bad now?? Try rotating three QBs throughout the game.

What don't you guys get about the phrase "Nothing to lose"?

JF WILL not QB this team to a SB and if you think so after watching him regress after three + years then please tell me why?

The wait and see approach is for those comfortable with being mediocre.

Especially given the track record of the last 3 yrs.

Wish for 2 losses (Pats and @SD) and then we might begin to experiment.

How about I wish for your un-timely demise instead smarta$$?

Nothing to lose, huh. At 4-1 we have nothing to lose?? This week we have nothing to lose?? You'd honestly be willing to change QBs right now??

It IS very possible that the other QBs could play worse. It's possible that the current cohesion (albiet ineffective to this point) could suffer and set us back a good while. Actually, that is more likely at this point.

Jay has not cut it to this point. He was playing better last year. But it seems some are content to just say "to hell with it" and starting switching QBs.

Say the other QBs play worse and we lose several games. Then what?? We put Jay back in?? I'm not interested in QB musical chairs. You better be damn sure when you make a move. And you'd better stick with it.

I'm all for the best guy playing. But I'm not at all convinced of the other two guys being anything more than a lateral move. Not yet anyway. Especially with the way the offensive line has played. The next few weeks will be very interesting, that's for sure.

I generally avoid these threads nowdays. But I felt like my intelligence was being questioned in the above post.

Again I ask you, what part of "Nothing to lose" don't you get?

It IS very possible that the other QBs could play worse. It's possible that the current cohesion (albiet ineffective to this point) could suffer and set us back a good while. Actually, that is more likely at this point.

And the difference being what? Drafting at the 18th spot instead of 26th next year?

And Muck, don't be so sensitive dude. I wasn't questioning your intelligence. Others maybe, but not yours. Haven't you questioned me a few times yourself?

Sorry, don't mean to come off as hyper-sensative (although if there are any lovely ladies viewing this...rest assured that I am very sensative and I like to listen. :tongue: ).

Anyway, the difference is.....you feel that things can't get any worse with an immediate change at QB. And if they do, "oh well". I on the other hand feel that things can easily get much worse. I want to win as many games as possible. And I feel that changing QBs at this point in time guarantees us more losses.

That's pretty much "it" in a nutshell.

I on the other hand feel that things can easily get much worse. I want to win as many games as possible

I guess that's where we differ, I could care less how many games we win if it doesn't result in a championship.

11-5 records and 1st rd playoff losses do nothing but keep you drafting in a spot generally devoid of impact players.

Fiedler at this point is very much a "known quanity" whereas BG and Sage are not. Do I think they present us with a very high percentage of likely success? No I don't but some chance is better than none.

I guess that's where we differ, I could care less how many games we win if it doesn't result in a championship.

11-5 records and 1st rd playoff losses do nothing but keep you drafting in a spot generally devoid of impact players.

Fiedler at this point is very much a "known quanity" whereas BG and Sage are not. Do I think they present us with a very high percentage of likely success? No I don't but some chance is better than none.

well i wanna start off with sage... who is he? noone.... will he ever be a starter? no.. he has never even completed a regular season pass, and in pre-season faces guys who just want a spot on the roster. he's never going to be a starter anywhere.

BG is talented.. at the same time he has always had more talent then fiedler.

Smith, Mccaffrey, Davis, Anderson, Gary, Sharpe, best offensive line for the last 5 years (not even including this season). 2 WR who grab 100 balls a year, and 1000 catching, SS a hole of famer his first shot who still have more juice then most TE, a great offensive line, and 1000 yard backs you should be great.

now ignoring fiedler here for a second (lets try and this). even if brian griese is better he had 4 weeks before pre-season, 2 weeks in preseason, and 2 games into the regular season to understand the offense and take REPS. unless you're steve mcnair you need to do it to win. not many QB could ever learn a system that fast and BG doesn't show the exception because he is a party animal who needs to mature and hasn't taken the proper reps. his denver teammates lost faith and him and thats why he was a FA. i haven't heard any negitives like that this season, but it still may linger in maimi's club.

Pros-
good strength- not great (better then fiedlers and griese's father)
good accuracy- with hall of fame players.. unseen with miami's troops.

questions mark- he also has made dumb and smart plays. not always consistant

Negitives-
Holds onto the ball to long
Not very mobile and miami runs an offense on a mobile QB.
hasn't had enough time to learn miami's scheme (NT doesn't run simple plays when facing good teams, only the medicore ones).

he is a player miami should hold on to even if he doesn't play this season (or a lot). i think 1 year isn't fair. he just got picked up and needs to learn the offense cold with reps in practice. he's been very injury prone, and has never started 16 games in 1 season. i think it's fiedlers job to lose... griese doesn't even have a say in it. IF AND WHEN the offense picks it up and jay (i hope he will, i have confidence in it) doesn't it's grieses job.

what does miami have to lose? everything. if fiedler is benched while winning, and griese doesn't do anything better or worse then you have to turn to fiedler again and you have taken away from his playing time to presue a bust. jay has made plays in the past and he has confidence in himself because he makes the plays in practice and like NT said it's a matter of inches right now. playing griese is a gamble because of his limited time in miami. what about the other offensive players? playing with QB with different styles doesn't help get them on the same page with one another. it's another setback. miami doesn't need that. when the offense picks up this debate will end. i know fiedler and the offense will be fine. i wish others would let the season progess past 5 games before they jump to conclusions when they haven't thought of the repercussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is saying anywhere in this thread to replace Jay. What I read was give Brian a series or two if it can be worked into the game. This a good idea IMO. If Jay goes down it would be great if Brian had some actual game experiance under his belt. The worst that could happen is Brian comes in, throws a pick that gets returned for a score. The best that could happen is Brian leads us on a nice drive, gives the O a shot in the arm and we get a touchdown. Either way it's known beforehand that Jays coming right back into the ballgame. Brians' a former Pro Bowl Quarterback. He's not going to come in and destroy this team in any way, shape or form. It's cool because he gets valuable game experiance, he might just give the O a wakeup call and if he does badly the experiance could be a very short one. No mutiny, no freakout and no controversy. It's a win-win.

Originally posted by BSQX4
Nobody is saying anywhere in this thread to replace Jay. What I read was give Brian a series or two if it can be worked into the game. This a good idea IMO. If Jay goes down it would be great if Brian had some actual game experiance under his belt. The worst that could happen is Brian comes in, throws a pick that gets returned for a score. The best that could happen is Brian leads us on a nice drive, gives the O a shot in the arm and we get a touchdown. Either way it's known beforehand that Jays coming right back into the ballgame. Brians' a former Pro Bowl Quarterback. He's not going to come in and destroy this team in any way, shape or form. It's cool because he gets valuable game experiance, he might just give the O a wakeup call and if he does badly the experiance could be a very short one. No mutiny, no freakout and no controversy. It's a win-win.

the thread was going into a replace fiedler with griese. i think thats a great idea. when miami gets a lead, let griese have a few game drives or even a quarter to get expirence. fiedler has had health issues too.

i don't think he'd destroy the offense, i was saying replacing fiedler would hurt because of lack of reps and so on. but if we're talking about drives where the game isn't on the line then yes i agree 100% if fiedler goes down it looks smart to have given griese actually playing time. but if you play griese in the middle of the game, and he does the worst that can happen, now fiedler has to clean up that mess and makes DW look dumb.

we both were talking about completely difference situations. but in every way i agree. getting gametime expirence is a good idea. replacing completley is not.

How about I wish for your un-timely demise instead smarta$$?

A death wish. You should be smarter than that than throwing around threats or wishes for someones death on a public forum these days. I shall forward this to the mods.

You clearly overstepped the boundries.

A death wish. You should be smarter than that than throwing around threats or wishes for someones death on a public forum these days. I shall forward this to the mods.

Oh grow up:rolleyes:

You're constantly joking around here being a smarta$$ and I was joking around being a smarta$$ back.

Who said anything about death? I was referring to your stay here.
And nobody threatened you, quit with the drama queen act.

While you're reporting my post, have them search through your last week of posts and see if they can find anything that ISN'T flame-bait.

wow

I was waay missunderstood here. All i was saying is that i believe Griese and Sage should get a series or two. There is almost no way that could hurt us, If there is an interception than oh well. Fiedler has been throwin straight to them recently anyways, we have just been lucky he hasnt been picked off more. I personally believe Griese isnt ready, he is too much of a party animal. I dont like his work ethic or his attitude. Sage on the other hand has shown his arm strength and accuracy to be much better than the other two. Norv Turner stated his confidence in Sage's ability to be a solid starter in this league, thats good enough for me. Give him a shot in a real game. Even if it isnt for long, lots of kids step it up.

Our defense is winning the games right now, fiedler isnt contributing. why not show him that we are willing to replace him. It might light a fire under his ***.

Back
Top Bottom