Go For The Freakin Points | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Go For The Freakin Points

Ct Fin Freak 13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I always say to take the points when you can get them because you never know what will happen. Had Carolina gone for the extra point on the first occasion when they attempted a 2 pointer they would not have tried for a second 2 point conversion. In turn New England would not have tried for the 2 point conversion when they did. Carolina would have had 31 points. So when New England scored their last touchdown and went for 2 they would have kicked the extra point instead thus giving them 28 and being down by 3 instead of trying the 2 and missing and being down by four. Had Carolina kicked the Two extra points this game would of went to overtime.
So again I say take the freakin points when you can get em. And this is the perfect example why.

i disagree. at the time it made sense. The 2 would have brought the Cats within a FG instead of a TD. Then it made sense again the 2nd after they scored a TD to make it 22-21. The 2 then would have made them tie with a FG instead of going ahead. of course both failed and the only reason the Pats went for 2 was to keep Car from taking the lead if they scored again. But it was pretty much a win win even if you didn't make it for the most part. But all of these decisions are predicated on the idea that your D will come out and hold them off. That is why those decisions played such a big part in the outcome. IMO, car used bad judgement in the playcalling on those 2 ptrs.

I can see the argument of it making sense but IMO you gotta take the points cause you never know what will happen with the scoring the rest of the game. Didnt miami go for 2 against houston in the first game of the year and miss where had they taken the extra point that game would have went to over time. I know at the time its tempting but I think you only go for when you have no other choice.

Originally posted by Ct Fin Freak 13
I can see the argument of it making sense but IMO you gotta take the points cause you never know what will happen with the scoring the rest of the game. Didnt miami go for 2 against houston in the first game of the year and miss where had they taken the extra point that game would have went to over time. I know at the time its tempting but I think you only go for when you have no other choice.

If Fox had known there would be that much scoring left, I'm sure he would've kicked the pt and the worse was they go to OT. I'm sure he felt he wanted every bit of an edge he could get and figured how the Ds were both playing til that point in the game. It was pretty much lights out the whole way except for the end of the 2nd qtr. Then the wheels sort of fell off and made the decision look crappier than it really was. At the time, i liked it and thought it to be a smart move, but in hindsight, it was just another "blunder".
:lol:

At the time what Fox did looked like the right thing to do. It is nice to say "he should have kicked the extra point" after the game but at the time I definitely thought it was the right thing to do.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
At the time what Fox did looked like the right thing to do. It is nice to say "he should have kicked the extra point" after the game but at the time I definitely thought it was the right thing to do.

As I stated before because of what happened in the Miami- Houston game I would always take the points unless it was the final minute of the game and you need 2 to tie. So im not just saying it after the game. My philosophy is to always take the points cause you never know what the scoring is gonna be like
their are turnovers, penalties and mental breakdowns that could lead to scoring or not scoring. so im just saying that if I were the coach regardless of how the game turned out I would have kicked the extra point. Though I can understand where your coming from.:)

Originally posted by DeDolfan

If Fox had known there would be that much scoring left, I'm sure he would've kicked the pt and the worse was they go to OT. I'm sure he felt he wanted every bit of an edge he could get and figured how the Ds were both playing til that point in the game. It was pretty much lights out the whole way except for the end of the 2nd qtr. Then the wheels sort of fell off and made the decision look crappier than it really was. At the time, i liked it and thought it to be a smart move, but in hindsight, it was just another "blunder".
:lol:
have to agree dedolfan, it was a pretty tight game in the first half!;)

I agree with iceblizzard. In hindsight, Fox should have taken the XP. But at the time, with momentum on his side, and facing one of the best defenses in the NFL, and thus not expecting an offensive explosion, taking 2 was a reasonable call.

Hey, any word on whether Jon Kasay had to walk back to Charlotte? I would have made him, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom