Go get Rex Ryan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Go get Rex Ryan

Our 43 would require a massive house cleaning to fit a 34. Most likely that's not going to happen. But, I'd be just fine with it. The reason we're a 43 team is that we were building upon Wake and Suh. IMHO, Wake could play SOLB if we had switched earlier, but at this point in his career, I don't see it happening. He's at the age where we're lucky to have him as a situational pass rusher. Suh, well he's a good fit for a 43, and honestly, he's our best defender by miles because of his consistency. Dominant, commands double teams, still disruptive, and shows up every game, and plays an insane number of snaps. I hate to say it, but Suh has earned his paycheck, despite our team's play.

Getting Ryan would be possible, but not likely. Wade Phillips was who I wanted, and that was indeed pulling a rabbit out of a hat for the Rams. But don't forget, they had some pretty good young defensive talent there too, so it's not like their cupboard was bear.

Ryan would no doubt produce a good defense, with more consistency and stout run defense than we've had in a while. For the past decade our defenses have been inconsistent. Sometimes great, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Ryan would fix that and get consistently good defensive play. But, I don't think he'd sit quietly behind Gase, and without that, I doubt Gase would even interview him.

Has there ever been a more over-rated blow hard than Rex Ryan? Even as a defensive coordinator. He took the Buffalo Bills defense that was one of the leagues best under Jim Swartz, and turned it into one of the worst units in the league. Then he gets fired from Buffalo, and their defense improves overnight with even less talent than Rex had on his roster. Hell no. I don't want Rex. The Dolphins should have pursued Wade Philips when he became available at the end of last season.

We don't need to add that weight to our sinking ship.

We run a 4-3. Rex is a 3-4 guy. Are players don't fit his scheme. Well.. our current plays don't fit our zone scheme now. We would have to blow up the front 7.

I don't want Rex Ryan, but Miami had a decent 3-4 defense until Philbin and Coyle changed it. The defense has been terrible ever since then, and it doesn't matter who they add because everything they do is just compounding the original mistake of changing the scheme. Coyle's defense was bad enough, but the current defense under Joseph and now Burke is even worse... and I didn't think that was even possible! When Philbin was finally fired, the whole pathetic team should have been blown up and replaced. But, instead of cleaning house (Front Office and Coaching Staff) like he should, Ross promotes Tannenbaum and they hire a Head Coach who is basically continuing what Philbin and Coyle ran. The worst part is that what they're running is so bad and ineffective that the next regime (if Ross ever gets his head out of his butt long enough to see that his team sucks and does something about it) will have an even harder rebuilding task because the current morons have ruined nearly the entire roster. This all started when Philbin began getting rid of talented players while Ireland replaced them with inferior players. With Tannenbaum now in charge, they're still filling the roster with inferior players. There are only a handful of competent football players on this roster, and the longer this current regime (Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase) has to bring in "their" players, the fewer competent players they will have.

Incompetent players that can't do their job, incompetent coaches who can't do their job, and incompetent Front Office personnel who can't do their job... I hope Ross is happy with the people he's hired!

I don’t see the ego’s of Gase and Ryan being able to coexist. I could easily see it going the way of Ditka/Buddy where the locker room becomes split. But if they could...

IMO this team isn’t as far from a 3-4 as you may think. Say what you want about Suh but if they did move to a 3-4 he probably becomes the best NT in the league. He already takes up 2 o-linemen on most plays. Why not use it more appropriately to our advantage? You could then rotate him to DE on some pass rushing downs. Which you know he would love. The problem is the $ going to that position.

Finding a few serviceable DE’s may be the toughest task. Hayes isn’t guaranteed to be back next year and I don’t know if Fede and Godchaux are stout enough.

LB wouldn’t be as bad as expected because Alonzo and Timmons could be 1 year stopgaps who’ve already played in the system. Wu-Tang would be an easy convert. That’s 3 spots filled. Plus you could use Jones and McDonald in pass rushing situations or covering the TE as well. Just need to basically find one more 2 down MLB or SLB.

The secondary is what it is. CB needs upgrades either way. Plus a young rangy FS to groom.

Back
Top Bottom