Good Article by John Clayton on Quarterbacks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article by John Clayton on Quarterbacks

BlueFin said:
The Miami Dolphins do not have a bonafide starting quarterback in this league, this is the chance to get one and I think Saban will take advantage of it unless someone pays dearly.

Yea, then neither do half the teams in the NFL....

supertek said:
I don't think there is any widespread "myth" about the importance of the QB position. Everyone knows it is the single most important position on the team. The difference of opinion is whether there are any QB's in THIS draft worth taking at #2.

Contraire, I've read many posts by people downplaying the importance of the QB position and how you can win with a mediocre quarterback, I've argued with Dolphin fans for the last five years about that very subject when most of them thought Jay Fiedler was adequate.

So, try again.

dolfanmark said:
But, the article doesn't discuss how difficult it is to actually draft a good QB. Just because a guy is a 1st round pick or is handed a starting job, it doesn't make him a good QB.

Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, and Rick Mirer were all 1st round picks. Would you take any of them over Tom Brady, who was a 6th round pick? Obviously, you need good Qb play to win. But, taking a QB in the first round is no guarantee that you are going to get it.

I wouldn't write off Grossman, Harrington or Boller just yet. Do you think Brady's career would be the same had he been drafted by Detroit or Chicago? Seriously.

BlueFin said:
We're the only one in our division without either a legitimate starter or a highly drafted prospect.

...and it has cost us dearly. Our playoff window with our D passed us by last year. Our year to go to the playoffs was Ricky's first season...a season in which we could have easily contended for the Superbowl if only we had a solid passing game. The QB position almost single handedly cost us that season, and now we are forced to rebuild because of it.

Let us not languish in QB mediocrity any longer...let's finally pick one with a high pick :mad:

I don't know why so many people around here want a great running back and an average qb, that's what we had with Ricky and Jay. With Ricky, Jay and a great DF, we didn't even make the playoffs in 2 years. With Dan, no running back and an Olivadotti prevent defense(need I say more), we made it to the AFC championchip game. We have to take a chance with Smith or Rodgers. Just because its not a sure thing doesn't mean you don't try. Only 10% of people who apply to med school get in every year, if I was scared of those odds, I wouldn't be in med school right now.

BlueFin said:
Contraire, I've read many posts by people downplaying the importance of the QB position and how you can win with a mediocre quarterback, I've argued with Dolphin fans for the last five years about that very subject when most of them thought Jay Fiedler was adequate.

So, try again.

Yes I have seen that arguement as well, but it does not appear to be held by the majority. My point is that the reason most do not want to take a QB at #2 is not because we don't need one. It's because there are none worthy of the #2 pick and salary that goes with it.

supertek said:
I don't think there is any widespread "myth" about the importance of the QB position. Everyone knows it is the single most important position on the team. The difference of opinion is whether there are any QB's in THIS draft worth taking at #2.

The chances are better in the earlier rounds then if you wait later. According to almost everyone on this site there is no legit player worth the #2 pick but we have to pick from the pool that we have. The only way to find out if a player is worth the #2 pick is by picking then and waiting till their career is over then see. You don't know, Nobody does but the percentages are better in the earlier rounds.

personally i wish we can trade down and get smith... but its my wishful thinking for this draft.

looking back at history from 1990 til now 13 of the last 15 SB winners had good QBs. the teams did not count were the 01 ravens and the 91 skins. the teams with really good QB won multi SBs, like Dallas, SF, Denver, and the Pats ( sucks to say that last time...) In addition, 01 ravens and 91 skins QB play good in those years. especially 91skins' Mark.
an example of a strong RB with okay QB i can think of is Det with Sanders. with one the best RB in the game, they only got as far as the NFC conference game in 91.

dolfanmark said:
But, the article doesn't discuss how difficult it is to actually draft a good QB. Just because a guy is a 1st round pick or is handed a starting job, it doesn't make him a good QB.

Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, and Rick Mirer were all 1st round picks. Would you take any of them over Tom Brady, who was a 6th round pick? Obviously, you need good Qb play to win. But, taking a QB in the first round is no guarantee that you are going to get it.

same could be said about all the positions. busts occur everywhere not just qb, that is a myth.

Back
Top Bottom