Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article on available QB's when we took Feeley

What's more surprising is that ALOT of people actually thought Feeley had potential. OR, should I say the "vogue" word: UPSIDE. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. :rolleyes2

Selective memory sure is nice. The guy not only remembers things wrong, but he conveniently leaves out other stuff.

First off, Mark Brunell had an 85.9 QB rating last year, led his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs, helped Santana Moss gain like 1,500 yards or something...and to this guy, Brunell is simply "that guy that is stinking it up in Snyderville".

Second, yes...Drew Henson and Billy Volek were two guys who were also available. Drew Henson has done nothing in Big D and now is going the way of the dodo. But the dude simply ignores how in 2004, the same year Feeley was stinking it up and throwing more interceptions returned for a TD than I've ever seen before, Volek came in for McNair for 10 games, grabbed an 87.1 QB rating completing 61.1% of his passes with 18 TDs and 10 INTs.

The guy also conveniently forgets that Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner were three veterans that were set to be available. And, while I would not exactly hang my hat on any of them as franchise performers, all three have performed better than Feeley did since the time in question. Garcia, the worst of the three, had a 76.7 rating in Cleveland in 2004 then a 65.1 rating in Cleveland. Collins put together ratings of 74.8 and 77.3 in Oakland. Warner, probably the most successful of any of the options discussed aside from maybe Brunell, put together an 86.5 rating in NY, and a 85.8 rating in ARI.

When Feeley got his big chance, he coughed up a 61.7 rating. When he got more chances prior to 2005, he got busted down to third string. Then when he got more chances with San Diego this off season, he got busted out of the roster altogether in favor of two rookies, Charlie Whitehurst and Brett Elliott.

Nothing will ever vindicate Rick Spielman for his decision that year. He paid the highest price among all of the QBs discussed, and got arguably the worst one of the bunch (depending on how you feel about Henson).

Plus he forgot an extremely important lesson when it comes to making these decisions. Not only are you not guaranteed to pick the right one among a group of QBs available in any given year, there is no guarantee that ANY of them are the franchise player you hope...because any given year there is probably only a 1/3rd or 1/2 chance that ANY QB that changes hands, turns out to be a franchise guy within a few years.

Spielman's an idiot, end of story.

While I can agree that there were no great QB options available when we picked up AJ, there were several better and cheaper QBs available. AJ was arguably the worst choice possible.

ckparrothead said:
Selective memory sure is nice. The guy not only remembers things wrong, but he conveniently leaves out other stuff.

First off, Mark Brunell had an 85.9 QB rating last year, led his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs, helped Santana Moss gain like 1,500 yards or something...and to this guy, Brunell is simply "that guy that is stinking it up in Snyderville".

Second, yes...Drew Henson and Billy Volek were two guys who were also available. Drew Henson has done nothing in Big D and now is going the way of the dodo. But the dude simply ignores how in 2004, the same year Feeley was stinking it up and throwing more interceptions returned for a TD than I've ever seen before, Volek came in for McNair for 10 games, grabbed an 87.1 QB rating completing 61.1% of his passes with 18 TDs and 10 INTs.

The guy also conveniently forgets that Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner were three veterans that were set to be available. And, while I would not exactly hang my hat on any of them as franchise performers, all three have performed better than Feeley did since the time in question. Garcia, the worst of the three, had a 76.7 rating in Cleveland in 2004 then a 65.1 rating in Cleveland. Collins put together ratings of 74.8 and 77.3 in Oakland. Warner, probably the most successful of any of the options discussed aside from maybe Brunell, put together an 86.5 rating in NY, and a 85.8 rating in ARI.

When Feeley got his big chance, he coughed up a 61.7 rating. When he got more chances prior to 2005, he got busted down to third string. Then when he got more chances with San Diego this off season, he got busted out of the roster altogether in favor of two rookies, Charlie Whitehurst and Brett Elliott.

Nothing will ever vindicate Rick Spielman for his decision that year. He paid the highest price among all of the QBs discussed, and got arguably the worst one of the bunch (depending on how you feel about Henson).

Plus he forgot an extremely important lesson when it comes to making these decisions. Not only are you not guaranteed to pick the right one among a group of QBs available in any given year, there is no guarantee that ANY of them are the franchise player you hope...because any given year there is probably only a 1/3rd or 1/2 chance that ANY QB that changes hands, turns out to be a franchise guy within a few years.

Henson couldn't have been any worse and was available for a 4th instead of a 2nd which ended up being number 34 overall :fire: . I can't imagine what was going through Spielman's mind when he made this trade. Even most casual fans would know better than to do something like that. He's supposed to be a professional in his field. I love how the article conveniently leaves out the fact that the pick was a 2nd round pick.

ckparrothead said:

Couldn't agree with you more. Giving a second round pick for Philly's third string QB can in no way be justified, even if all the other QB's available were in fact lousy (which, as has been pointed out is not quite the case).

just imagine someone giving us a 2nd next year for Lemon, incredible huh? To this day Im still shock on how we gave up a second for a 3rd string qb.

Yeah basically you have Feeley for a 2nd, Brunell and Henson went for a 3rd each...Garcia, Collins, Volek, and Warner had no compensation.

So we paid the highest price, got the worst QB.

Now why did you have to go and bring this Sh** up. I should have known better than to click on this thread. I will have nightmares for sure now. Such bad memory's . :tantrum: Do you like Feeley? Why Why Why? :D

Naturally, Billy is smoking mad and has demanded a trade. Being as his agent is Screw Rosenhaus, I expect he'll get one, if any team is even slightly interested - and when you see teams signing poisonous old dinosaurs like Jeff George, you HAVE to believe there's some serious desperation out there.

and THAT is exactly what Saban has in mind with Joey Harrington...IMO. I hope he SHINES...and gets us a GOOD pick.

cnc66 said:
and THAT is exactly what Saban has in mind with Joey Harrington...IMO. I hope he SHINES...and gets us a GOOD pick.

Good for Joey and for us! Saban is a genius :allhail:

There is no defending Rick Spielman, period. Especially on this one.

The article doesn't even give consideration to what the potenial draft selections available to us in '05.

Feeley was an absolute waste. Spielman did not have any idea what he was doing. He wasn't worth bringing in as free agent, let alone a 2nd round pick! Nonsense!

Back
Top Bottom