Good Coaches Take Perceived Issues An Turn Them Into Advantages | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Coaches Take Perceived Issues An Turn Them Into Advantages

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of talking heads point out the flaws of a player and point to those flaws as to why said player might not be successful in the NFL.

For example, I've heard a lot about Gieseki's inability to block, and Smyth's lack of production catching the ball. I've also heard a lot about Baker's small size.

But isn't it a coaches job to identify what a player does well and use those strengths in a collective team concept to get the best out of everyone? Isn't that what the good teams do? Why force a player that you know isn't good at blocking to block? Or a player that isn't good at catching passes to catch? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think a lot of coaches get wrapped up in trying to find a player that does EVERYTHING well (Or force them to try) but there aren't that many of those guys available.

Take players like Egnew and Durate for example. Coming out of college, both were considered receiving TE's and not known for blocking. What did our coaches do?? Force them to learn to block and didn't play them when they couldn't do it.

I've heard these arguments so far....

If Gieseki can't block, the offense will be predictable when he's in the game
If Smyth can't get separation, then the offense will be predictable when he's in the game.
Baker is small, so teams will run at him when he's in the game and we won't be able to stop the run etc...

It's going to be on Gase and Burke to use the chess pieces appropriately to get production out of the offense\defense.

Gase had a hard time getting Grant who is faster than everyone on the field and can jump out of the gym, involved in the offense consistently. He did a great job getting Landry involved and the same with Drake the latter part of the year. He tried to get Julius Thomas in favorable matchups but Thomas sucked and couldn't win.

I'm Looking forward to seeing how he manages the TE rotation and how he calls plays with the various personnel options to remain unpredictable.

I'm curious to see how Burke handles the playing time and rotation with Fitz, McDonald and Jones. IF\When Baker is in the game teams will surely try to run at him... what will be Burke's plan to counter that?

This season will tell us a lot about our Coordinators. I'm optimistic.

There’s a difference in the coaching. Philbin was trash. He’s never been good. He’s not good now. He couldn’t evaluate talent, he couldn’t lead.

Egnew was soft, lazy and stupid. He’s out of the league. While the coaching was bad, he obviously wasn’t much better as a player.

Yes. Good coaches put players into position to do what they do best. Yes. Gieseki can improve a bit as a blocker but he’ll never be great at it. Gieseki will be basically a slot wr. These days, the majority of the time it is obvious when teams are going to pass anyway. We didn’t draft him to block, we drafted him to catch and make plays

I agree. Was just saying this today actually. Teams are gonna assume it’s a pass when gesicki is in. Or a run when smythe is in. We can take advantage of that tendency.

Nothing gets out of hand quite like a draft narrative once it gets rolling. That's just the nature of message boards and the draft in general.

This time a year ago it was Cordrea Tankersley can't tackle. You can't pay too much attention to this stuff.

Nothing gets out of hand quite like a draft narrative once it gets rolling. That's just the nature of message boards and the draft in general.

This time a year ago it was Cordrea Tankersley can't tackle. You can't pay too much attention to this stuff.
Great point about Tank. You're absolutely correct.

Like two years ago we go heavy, extra OL on the field with Ajayi. Assume its a run, but could you stop it?

Around 20 minutes Simon tells a story about Minkah vs Mississippi State, I’ve listened to it three times and it doesn’t make sense to me. I cannot follow what he is saying and my parents are straight off the boat from the UK!!!

Can anyone explain to me what the story is?

I've heard a lot of talking heads point out the flaws of a player and point to those flaws as to why said player might not be successful in the NFL.

For example, I've heard a lot about Gieseki's inability to block, and Smyth's lack of production catching the ball. I've also heard a lot about Baker's small size.

But isn't it a coaches job to identify what a player does well and use those strengths in a collective team concept to get the best out of everyone? Isn't that what the good teams do? Why force a player that you know isn't good at blocking to block? Or a player that isn't good at catching passes to catch? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think a lot of coaches get wrapped up in trying to find a player that does EVERYTHING well (Or force them to try) but there aren't that many of those guys available.

Take players like Egnew and Durate for example. Coming out of college, both were considered receiving TE's and not known for blocking. What did our coaches do?? Force them to learn to block and didn't play them when they couldn't do it.

I've heard these arguments so far....

If Gieseki can't block, the offense will be predictable when he's in the game
If Smyth can't get separation, then the offense will be predictable when he's in the game.
Baker is small, so teams will run at him when he's in the game and we won't be able to stop the run etc...

It's going to be on Gase and Burke to use the chess pieces appropriately to get production out of the offense\defense.

Gase had a hard time getting Grant who is faster than everyone on the field and can jump out of the gym, involved in the offense consistently. He did a great job getting Landry involved and the same with Drake the latter part of the year. He tried to get Julius Thomas in favorable matchups but Thomas sucked and couldn't win.

I'm Looking forward to seeing how he manages the TE rotation and how he calls plays with the various personnel options to remain unpredictable.

I'm curious to see how Burke handles the playing time and rotation with Fitz, McDonald and Jones. IF\When Baker is in the game teams will surely try to run at him... what will be Burke's plan to counter that?

This season will tell us a lot about our Coordinators. I'm optimistic.
Before I comment, just know that I respect every players post.

Just after the top and if the past decade, I just threw typical standards out the window. Just gotta enjoy the ride at this point. Hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom