Grade McDaniel first year as HC | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade McDaniel first year as HC

I’m going to give him an A- because of a few factors:

- I can’t say this as fact, but I feel it’s pretty likely that when he was offered the HC position, he was told that Boyer was going to be his DC. I think McD made the best of that situation and as soon as the offseason hit, was decisive in the fact that he wanted to get his guy in there.

- There’s some pretty strong egos in that locker room and McD seems to be our first HC that can actually deal with that since JJ. He quickly earned the respect of the entire locker room, but it seems to especially be the case with his stars. Again, that’s something we haven’t seen in Miami in a long ass time.

- His ability to lure/hire quality assistants and the fact that he’s not so obsessed with being the unquestioned leader that he’ll go out of his way to hire unqualified coaches just to further that cause.

- Even in a loss, McD and that team showed an awful lot in the playoff game @ Buffalo. Miami had every excuse lined up to go up there and get blown out and they damn near won the game.

Yes, there’s clock management and play calling issues but I think McD can and will learn to overcome those mistakes. He’s brought in a maestro to run the defense and has set up this team to make some big strides in year 2.

Completely changed the culture and landscape view of the team. Super-stars pray to come to the Dolphins! Let that sink in!

He needs the same improvements every other successful first-time coach needs. That comes with more experience and a better staff. There's no doubt the staff was majorly upgraded defensively..

The Miami Dolphins are trending way up league wide. Only those who are blatantly ignorant don't see it.

Just look at what he's brought, along with Grier, to the team in one year. Most notably, a playoff game and great defensive mind to the staff along with several all pro's.

I'm just gonna grade one aspect of his coaching that drives me insane. His clock management. He gets an F-

Wait, what? You already started this same thread with a slightly different title last month. WTF is happening here?

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Is success getting his team in the playoffs with an extremely good chance of going much further if things beyond his control had worked out better?

(If Defense had performed better, even with Tua out, Miami would have been challenging for the AFC East, and #1 or 2 position in playoffs)

Is success turning the side of the ball he was known for, into the most dangerous unit in the NFL?

(Averaged 22 points a game, with 10 of 17 games scoring over 20 points (6 over 30), 4 of which was without Tua, which might have also been over 20 or 30 if he was there)

Was he able to turnaround his QB (The most important position of a championship team) to have an elite season?

(Yes, Tua again had an Injury to mess with his season, but along with a bunch of categories Tua was among the top, he was the QB with the highest QB rating in the NFL)

McDaniel had issues, where was the running game to go along with his elite passing offense? Time management was bad at best. Challenges were horrible with I believe only 1 win. Then again, he was a rookie that barely had Coordinator experience, so though the mistakes were bad, his good way overshadowed his bad for a Rookie HC...For now. -A to possibly A

Back
Top Bottom