Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

#42 Overall -- Jonathan Martin / OT / Stanford

why I like this pick: First of all, because it fills a major need. Secondly, because the single most impressive performance I witnessed all season by an offensive tackle was turned in by Jonathan Martin when he pitched a shutout against the #1 defensive end on my board... Nick Perry. Martin dominated Perry in that game and didn't allow Perry to even get started. Third, because Martin still has room to get so much better. He could've stayed for his Senior season, gotten stronger, and been a top 10 pick next year. Lastly, he's insurance for Jake Long, and comes much cheaper. Intelligent Stanford kid, and I want smart players at the line of scrimmage.

why I don't like this pick: Because I didn't think it was necessary to address the right tackle position this early. It makes more sense to address the right tackle position later because quality players of starter quality were going to be available. Miami had to pass up an elite pass rusher to make this pick. It is vital that Martin work hard in the weight room and get his strength up. It usually takes a season or so for most college offensive lineman to get their weight room strength up enough to match the strength and endurance of rugged NFL veterans that have done it for years. The line of scrimmage is where the biggest difference in strength and endurance shows up between college and the NFL.

Overall: Miami got a top 10 player in next year's draft with the 42nd pick in this year's draft. It's up to Jonathan Martin to make sure he fulfills his immense potential. It's there. Grade: A

#72 Overall -- Olivier Vernon / DE-OLB / Miami

why I like this pick: They didn't reach for him by much and came off the board about where I figured he should. Shows the ability to set the edge in run defense, and has enough bend to get underneath a tackle and run the arc to get pressure when allowed to rush the passer. If he played every game like he did against Georgia Tech as a freshman, he'd be a 1st round pick. Versatile, and his best football should be ahead of him. Has the lower body explosion and athletic ability to be a difference maker.

why I don't like this pick: Not much. I've talked about Vernon's upside going all the way back to my underrated underclassman thread in July.

Overall: Solid player with legitimate upside and got value with it. Has the potential to be a Shaun Phillips type pass rusher in the AFC. Grade: B+

#78 Overall -- Michael Egnew / TE / Missouri

why I like this pick: He was the #3 tight end in the draft on my board and I figured the 3rd round was where he'd come off. Egnew is precisely the type of flex TE that I've talked about Miami was always missing and typically avoided in the draft. He plays essentially like a WR split out operating in space. He creates a matchup problem with cornerbacks and linebackers in man coverage. Coaches can split him out in the "X" receiver position and run some X-iso where he's isolated on a smaller cornerback along the sidelines, or motion him there and have a linebacker follow him. A player like this makes your personnel packages capable of dictating to the defense. Egnew's height and linear speed is what you must have in a seam threat that forces safeties to play you honest. Athletically he tested at or near the top in virtually every event at the combine for TE's. Production is top notch.

why I don't like this pick: Only plays at one speed and isn't explosive changing directions. A stalk blocker who needs refinement in the aspect of blocking.

Overall: Nice pick and solid value here. Coaches will coach him up in the blocking department. You can't coach a kid to be 6'5", 250 pounds with 4.6 speed and soft hands. Grade: B+

#97 Overall -- Lamar Miller / RB / Miami

why I like this pick: #5 runningback on my board who I had a 4th round grade on, and Miami trades up to get him at the top of the 4th round. Fastest RB at the combine, and perhaps the fastest RB in this draft. Not a small scatback. Has enough size that he should be a fairly durable back, especially with his running style. Explosive and brings some versatility as a kick returner. Produced some big games against legitimate competition. Accelerates to top speed in about 4 strides. Top end speed makes him a threat to score if he gets a crease. Low mileage and should be able to contribute in a committee approach if being featured is too much of a work load.

why I don't like this pick: He wasn't the top RB on the board in my opinion. The best back on the board at the time was Robert Turbin. Miller has average vision, doesn't always run tough, needs a lot of work in pass protection, has some ball security issues, and has legitimate medical red flags. I never subscribed to the theory that this kid was a 1st round pick, or the #2 RB in the draft. There's a reason why all the backs I had ahead of him on my board went ahead of him (except for Turbin who went 9 picks later) and he fell to the 4th round. Teams weren't going to let a 1st round runningback and the #2 RB in the draft continue falling all the way through the 4th round.

Overall: Miami got Lamar Miller about where they should have to begin with. He could be nice player in a RB by committee approach where he had a defined role and too much isn't asked of him. Legitimate home run threat and should return kicks and contribute on special teams... although some of that will be negated due to the league trying to eliminate kick returns all together. Grade: C+

#155 Overall -- Josh Kaddu / OLB / Oregon

why I like this pick: I've had my eye on Josh Kaddu all season, and felt like he was one of the more underrated linebackers in the draft. I had a late 4th/early 5th round grade on him in December and it stayed consistent. Rangey, athletic linebacker who has a knack for splash plays and getting into the backfield. I like his effort and closing speed.

why I don't like this pick: Inconsistent. Can disappear and get caught in the wash when things aren't working up front. Doesn't need to be taking on blocks. Not a "Mike" linebacker... which is what I would've been hunting for in this draft. I agree with those that didn't like passing up Tank Carder.

Overall: Miami didn't reach for him, although an argument could be made that a true middle linebacker should've been on the docket in this draft if it came to pursuing a linebacker. A little bit better player than people think. Grade: C+

Last edited by a moderator:
#183 Overall -- B.J. Cunningham / WR / Michigan St.

why I like this pick: I had a 5th round grade on him for one. Several times mentioned him as one of the more underrated receivers in the Senior class since last summer. Michigan St.'s all time leader in career receptions and receiving yardage despite not always having the most consistent quarterback play. A program that's had Plaxico Burress, Mark Ingram, Derrick Mason, Charles Rogers, Muhsin Muhammad, and Andre Rison all come through there. He has a great work ethic and takes pride in it. Showed he belonged down at the East-West Shrine Game.

why I don't like this pick: Not much. Miami didn't reach for him and got a receiver capable of contributing in this offense.

Overall: Miami's already lackluster receivers better not sleep on this kid. He's capable of snatching their job away from them. I think he probably makes the final 53. Grade: B-

#215 Overall -- Kheeston Randall / DT / Texas

why I like this pick: Miami got tremendous value here with Randall. Athletically he tested and measured either superior or right there with all the DT's at the combine who went in the first 3 rounds like Kendall Reyes and Derek Wolfe. I had him as my #8 defensive tackle and #3 5-technique. A 2nd round grade. Looked like a top 50 pick as a Junior.

why I don't like this pick: Randall doesn't produce up to his ability for some reason, but it's not lack of effort from what I can tell. Tailed off as a Senior despite playing with 2 incredibly talented defensive ends.

Overall: I don't buy that this kid is the 215th best player in the draft. He obviously slid for some reason. If he plays like he did as a Junior, he'll make the team and contribute. I can't find any way around giving a solid grade to this pick at this point in the draft. Grade: B-

#227 Overall -- Rishard Matthews / WR / Nevada

why I like this pick: I had him as the #10 wide receiver on my board and a 3rd round grade. I first discovered Rishard Matthews last season when I found Virgil Green. We talked about Matthews several times last year as a kid to look forward to in the 2012 draft when it was being asserted that Colin Kaepernick didn't have anyone to throw to. He's still developing as a route runner but has a nice frame and sneaky speed and explosion. Production actually increased by a lot after Kaepernick turned pro.

why I don't like this pick: None.

Overall: I think Matthews has an even better shot to make the roster because of punt return ability on special teams combined with his developing receiving skills. These two receivers may never be elite, but there's absolutely nothing to prevent them from making the roster and actually upgrading the depth of the unit. Quality player here in my opinion. I'll go down with him. Grade: B

Teddy. when was the last year that you gave the Fins draft this (obviously) high a grade?

so b+?

it's good to know for this draft at least my personal thoughts matched up with someone who really puts some thought and analysis into this. Thanks for the work you put into this, and damned if I didn't fall for the initial grades you had on the dolphins lol.

Kind of a follow-up to Wildbill's question. I know you had some real issues with the 2011 Draft (D. Thomas among others), but if I remember right, you agreed with the Pouncey pick, and there were some other players you liked pretty well. Two drafts in, do you think Ireland is showing that he's significantly better off without Parcells?

thanks for the insight and hard work!

Just want to add my thanks for the thread and hard work.

Your view was pretty similar to mine in that it's hard to find fault with many of the picks, and the faults that are found are generally liking another player a tiny bit more.

That's a good draft, and one I'll happily take. I keep reading Miami didn't address WR enough, but I think getting to the two WR's they did was a coup and they both perfectly fit the new offense.

Kudo's to Miami, and kudos to you Slimm.

Thanks for the hard work! Overall how do you grade Miami's draft against the other teams?

Back
Top Bottom