Great article on Cutler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great article on Cutler

adamprez2003 said:
Props to Yahoo. They actually produced a decent article. These come along once in a blue moon. This one's on Cutler. It's a good read.

great article, now i'll be even more depressed if he goes before we can draft him...

Many insiders think the key will be the San Francisco 49ers, who will land either the No. 6 or No. 7 pick via a coin flip at the combine. If the 49ers get the No. 6 spot, the feeling in league circles is that they will be looking to trade down with a team that covets Cutler.

And what team would that be?

I wonder what we would have to give up to move into the 6th spot.

Jnaledu3 said:
And what team would that be?

I wonder what we would have to give up to move into the 6th spot.

SF trading down jumped out at me also. Dang draft can't get here soon enough.:(

GREAT article. I especially like this part:
One of the things that's overlooked when you're evaluating quarterbacks (is that) Jay Cutler playing at Vanderbilt is a lot different than Matt Leinart playing at USC," Savage said. "If (Cutler) goes to a team that's struggling, it's not going to be a new thing for him, whereas it could be for a Matt Leinart or a Vince Young. They won virtually every game during their careers. I think (struggling with Vanderbilt) is a positive for Jay."

Something thats been said around here before and also used against him by some people that say it means nothing. Well there ya go, right outta the mouth of one of the top NFL GMs.

cowtowndick said:
great article, now i'll be even more depressed if he goes before we can draft him...

Well, the optimistic way of looking at it, is I am convinced that Saban wasn't blowing smoke when he said during Senior Bowl week that we would be in good shape if we got this guy. I think Saban is going to do his best to try to get him. Hopefully he succeeds.

SpeedRush99 said:
GREAT article. I especially like this part:

Something thats been said around here before and also used against him by some people that say it means nothing. Well there ya go, right outta the mouth of one of the top NFL GMs.

That part stuck out with me also. The difference from what others on this board have said is that the struggling with a bad team in college would actually be a positive for him whereas being on a perennial winner might actually be a negative for Leinart. Thought that was a interesting take on the situation. I had never thought about it like that before I read the article

adamprez2003 said:
That part stuck out with me also. The difference from what others on this board have said is that the struggling with a bad team in college would actually be a positive for him whereas being on a perennial winner might actually be a negative for Leinart. Thought that was a interesting take on the situation. I had never thought about it like that before I read the article

How it was explained in that article is exactly how I felt about it, but trying to explain that to certain people on this board is impossible.

here's the best part from the article:
But that strength is something coaches are trying to refine. Cutler is not as polished or NFL-ready as Leinart, and he doesn't have the bundle of raw potential and athleticism of Young. In a way, Cutler is a balance of the two – with better arm strength than Leinart and the tools to run a more conventional offense than Young. Still, the average pass protection he experienced in college has translated into some issues with his mechanics and footwork.

The problems manifested themselves when Cutler topped off a strong practice week with a subpar outing at the Senior Bowl. In the game, he ended a strong opening drive with an end-zone interception and finished 6-of-19 for 69 yards with a touchdown and a pick. The performance revealed what scouts already knew: Cutler still needs coaching to work out the kinks in his pocket posture, and he still needs to take fewer risks.

"Who doesn't have those kinds of issues?" Fisher asked. "That's what (the Senior Bowl and workouts) are for. We've got to be careful about changing techniques and over-coaching. You want to let him play. The good part with what we've seen from Jay (is that) he's been able to change. From one day to the next, you worked on some things and you (saw) the difference. "And he sees the difference – the difference in keeping his shoulders level and making a comeback throw. When his shoulders are up, the ball sails, but when his shoulders are down, the ball is on target. He understands. That's what we've been impressed with."
they're saying what i've said all along: cutler's problems with accuracy and other areas are due to the coaching he received and his poor mechanics as a result. people here seem to think that a QB coming out of college is supposed to be a perfect product and not have any flaws. as fisher said, when his shoulders were set, he was extremely accurate. if he learns from a good coach how to keep things right, he'll be just fine with his accuracy.

Juan Cribbs said:
here's the best part from the article:

they're saying what i've said all along: cutler's problems with accuracy and other areas are due to the coaching he received and his poor mechanics as a result. people here seem to think that a QB coming out of college is supposed to be a perfect product and not have any flaws. as fisher said, when his shoulders were set, he was extremely accurate. if he learns from a good coach how to keep things right, he'll be just fine with his accuracy.

Exactly

SpeedRush99 said:
How it was explained in that article is exactly how I felt about it, but trying to explain that to certain people on this board is impossible.

Wow Speed, seems like just yesterday most people on this board thought we were nuts for suggesting he was a lock first rounder..............................

BlueFin said:
Wow Speed, seems like just yesterday most people on this board thought we were nuts for suggesting he was a lock first rounder..............................

No kidding :wink:

heh it's funny that i watched just about every vanderbilt game when he was a freshman and i thought "meh just another bad option quarterback on a bad team." it's amazing the turnaround he's made. his potential will not be reached for a while.

Back
Top Bottom