"Great Article on Dave" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Great Article on Dave"

agreed. i really like the "not gonna run a sign up a flagpole" part. the guy knows his job is on the line and he really does want to keep it.

Wannstedt has pushed all the right buttons... now it's down to the players to do it... Wannstedt has made the moves to upgrade the talent on this team..

Rude i disagree...as a GM with the help of Spielman he has pulled of some astute moves but to say he has pushed the right buttons is, at this point, ludicrous...
Buttons will be pushed starting in TC and continued througout the season where he'll need to motivate guys (Greenwood, Fletcher, Freeman) to step up...As well he'll have to decide when to rest some guys or whom to replace...
As of now he's only assembled a very talented group of players...
With this talent he will have to push the right buttons, make the right decisions on the football field...or else he'll be out of a job next year...

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
Rude i disagree...as a GM with the help of Spielman he has pulled of some astute moves but to say he has pushed the right buttons is, at this point, ludicrous...
Buttons will be pushed starting in TC and continued througout the season where he'll need to motivate guys (Greenwood, Fletcher, Freeman) to step up...As well he'll have to decide when to rest some guys or whom to replace...
As of now he's only assembled a very talented group of players...
With this talent he will have to push the right buttons, make the right decisions on the football field...or else he'll be out of a job next year...

Pink you can only push so many buttons..I think this Coaches push the right buttons is overplayed...think about when you played sports..did anyone have to push your button to want to win or was that something within you..Have you ever heard any Dolphin player say that he's not motivated..When it comes right down to it..it's what the players do on the field that counts..all the coaching in the world can only get you to the field and prepared..But once you're on the field it's up to you to execute..I can't remember one game where the team wasn't in position to win..based on coaching..actually I think we were too aggressive in the NE game at the end..I thought we should have let Ricky run...I heard a lot of people say the coaching was too conservative..I don't call that conservative..If a play is called, it's up to the people of the field to execute it and make it work...that what they practice for..that's what they get paid the big bucks for . and if they can't execute, get rid of them..the avg person gets fired for less..and the minium salary in the NFL, far exceed the avg worker pay.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Pink you can only push so many buttons..I think this Coaches push the right buttons is overplayed...think about when you played sports..did anyone have to push your button to want to win or was that something within you..Have you ever heard any Dolphin player say that he's not motivated..When it comes right down to it..it's what the players do on the field that counts..all the coaching in the world can only get you to the field and prepared..But once you're on the field it's up to you to execute..I can't remember one game where the team wasn't in position to win..based on coaching..actually I think we were too aggressive in the NE game at the end..I thought we should have let Ricky run...I heard a lot of people say the coaching was too conservative..I don't call that conservative..If a play is called, it's up to the people of the field to execute it and make it work...that what they practice for..that's what they get paid the big bucks for . and if they can't execute, get rid of them..the avg person gets fired for less..and the minium salary in the NFL, far exceed the avg worker pay.

I kind of agree with what you're saying here, but, if those buttons are pushed and the players aren't responding like they should, like what you're saying happened last season, then it's up to Wannstedt to replace those players not responding, and he hasn't done that, in fact he always brags about keeping the core of the team together and returning 21 of 22 starters.

He hasn't done that ? Yes he has..Buclkey to compete for the nikel position, Moore for the SLB position, Seau for the WLB, contract offered to Knight for the Strong Safety position..Derrius for the third receiver..It's funny how people can read this article and still miss the point. Relive please don't take that comment as a personal attack..

I think that he has had a very solid offseason and that the Miami Dolphins are as ready as any team to win it all this year. That being said, he still has to get it done.

And Denver quarterback Brian Griese, who is expected to sign with the team once Denver releases him in a salary-cap dump, would be an upgrade over Fiedler (although Wannstedt calls Griese a "backup" for the moment). Strong safety Sammy Knight also may come on board after being released by New Orleans.

"In a very subtle way, I've addressed a lot of things that needed to be addressed without running a sign up the flagpole and saying, 'Here's what we're doing and this is why we're going to do it,' " Wannstedt said.

I wonder if Dave signaled that idea regarding Griese or if it just popped out of the writer's head. It's hard enough to imagine Dave declaring anything like an open competition, let alone implying that Griese would be favored.

Can you IMAGINE the expression on Fiedler's face as he reads that? lol

If you push a button and it doesn't work then it's up to the coach to push more buttons. Problem is that all the button pushing in the world doesn't always work. Belechick pushed the right buttons in 2001, couldn't find the buttons last year. Same coach, different results. In todays game, you try and put together the best package you can in the off season and roll the dice during the season. The team that clicks, wins

Nice article. Dave definitely has a tough time in South Florida - every once in a while he deserves some positive press.

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
He hasn't done that ? Yes he has..Buclkey to compete for the nikel position, Moore for the SLB position, Seau for the WLB, contract offered to Knight for the Strong Safety position..Derrius for the third receiver..It's funny how people can read this article and still miss the point. Relive please don't take that comment as a personal attack..

No I get the point of the article. It was to pump up Wannstedt, to show what a great guy he is off the field. That's nice, but I'm more concerned with what happens on the field. And on the field, Wannstedt came up severely short last season.

Part of it is his game-day coaching. How many 4th down calls last season were the subject of debate afterward? How many games did we see the Dolphins cruise into neutral after the half, only to let the opponent come back and make a game of it?

You can blame the players for last season if you want, but Wannstedt is the one responsible for them being there. And there's still areas that needed attention where next to nothing has been done.

Wannstedt, Spielman, and Norv all identified LT as the biggest need for this team this season. They all said Dixon needed to return to LG, and told him he would, to get him to re-sign. They blew it on Gandy, and came away from the draft with a prospect they HOPE can compete for a back-up spot behind Dixon. And now with June 1 fast approacing, they've already announced their FA shopping is pretty much done. What's going to happen when Dixon gets banged up at the end of the season, like he usually does, and the OL can't stop a 3-man rush like last season?

They also identified WR as an area that needed improvement. So far, it looks like Chambers and McKnight again, the same 2 who couldn't get open in that last drive of the Pats' game. Thompson and Tolver may turn out to be good acquisitions, but will one of them be good enough to start beside Chambers? That's what we really needed, not yet another WR with potential. Norv's offense rarely uses more than a 2 WR set. We need proven veteran starters at WR. Boston would have been a good pick-up, but wasn't even considered. I don't know about you, but I've seen enough of McKnight's drops the last 2 years to know I can't count on him. If Thompson or Tolver can prove to be worthy of the other starting spot, then great, but let's see what they do with pads on first.

Mark Royals was one of the first to be re-signed when FA opened. Why? Did we not get enough of 5 and 10yd shanks last season? Turk was available and should have been brought back. Royals should be elswhere.

I just have no faith left in Wannstedt after last year. This team had more talent than most of the playoff teams did, yet as usual, we underachieved. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I hope he pulls it off this season. But I'm not going to expect postseason success and be even more disappointed like I did last season.

relive,
i think your way off base...every aquisition a team makes is 50 50 i didnt think u made a good point saying that they didnt adress their problem by adding thompson and tolver. If u ask me thats shakin things up WRs 3-5 are gona be diff. and maybe even the #2 could be diff. I personally agree more with what crazed fan said. I am quite optimistic for next year I dont really see a reason not to be.

Find your ass another team than, you are so blind that it's not even funny..Can you honestly name a better team the us in the AFC? or would you like Dave's record to speak for itself..Or would you like the to know how many probowlers he created last year. Or is the best RB in the league not good enough for you? U can sit behind your computer and bitch all you want about what they are doing or not doing. But the bottom line is that Dave knows alot more than you will
ever know and I trust his judgement alot more than yours. Last year we gaved up 25 sacks and led the league in rushing, so LT cant possibly be that important..It was a priority that we bust our ass for and it just did not lend in our favor..

Back
Top Bottom